NY Newsday, Going door-to-door, my pedofile letter

by freeman 7 Replies latest jw friends

• freeman
    freeman

Here is my letter to the editor of NEWSDAY; a New York Paper that today Saturday July 20, is featuring an extensive article on Jehovahs Witnesses, their brushes with the law and angry mobs, and their past and most recent court battles. The article is called GOING DOOR TO DOOR Will they pint my letter? We will see.

You should be able to read the article at www.newsday.com . Just do a internal site search on Jehovah and you should find the article. Well here is my letter to the editor, see what you think:

I very much enjoyed your article, GOING DOOR TO DOOR which highlighting the struggle of Jehovahs Witnesses, a small but significant Christian sect to peacefully practice their religious beliefs, which includes going door-to-door with their message. We as Americans owe the Jehovahs Witnesss a great debt of thanks for their efforts, which have included standing up to angry mobs and intimidating courts. Their efforts have not only helped secure some of their own freedoms, but everyones religious freedoms no matter what your personal beliefs may be.

With that said, it is now time for these same people, or more correctly their leaders at the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society h eadquarters to step up and do the right thing and protect innocent children form pedophiles within there ranks, some of whom continue to go door-to-door unbeknown to the public at large. It should be noted that the tragic failure of Watchtower officials to protect these little ones thus far, hide the very existence of this extensive problem, and silence and shun the courageous whistle-blowers exposing this problem is not just my opinion, but is a well-documented fact.

These facts have recently been exposed on NBCs news program DATELINE in the USA and the BBCs program PANORAMA in the UK. Details including transcripts, and streaming video / audio of these two well respected news programs, the plight of the aforementioned whistle-blowers, and the heart-wrenching stories told by scores of victims can be found at: www.silentlambs.org .

These well researched news programs PANORMA and DATELINE, have not only exposed the extent of the problem of pedophilia within this particular group, but sadly and ironically have uncovered the concerted efforts of Watcher officials to deny some basic and fundamental freedoms to their members whom they deem as trouble makers. And what is the crime of these troublemakers? These members who have been deemed troublemakers are guilty of the heinous crime of following their hearts and making the choice to protect innocent children by exposing this on-going tragedy publicly, and this only after first being stonewalled by Watchtower officials who refused to correct the problem internally.

My question to the Watchtower leadership is very simple. How can you courageously fight in court and against angry mobs for your constitutionally protected freedoms, and yet at the same time penalize some of your own members when they exercise some of these very same freedoms? I believe it is time now for the officials of the Watchtower Society to follow the example of other churches and other organizations that have pedophiles within their ranks too. It is time to step up and do the right thing.

Dear friends, If my letter should get printed (and I hope it will), my real name and town will be exposed, so perhaps I will then be joining your ranks at last. :-) Yes the ranks of the un-alive, the shunned. Should that happen, I would be quite proud to be counted as one among you good people.

Freeman (committing religious suicide class)

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Good letter and thoughtful questions, Freeman. I hope they print it too. Many more need to see the inside of the Watchtower and hopefully, they, the GB, will clean up their act.

Lew W

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

My letter to Newsday. May I suggest others email them as well. Presenting the Witnesses as fighters for freedom should hardly go unchallanged considering the recent actions of the Organization. The letter:

I enjoyed the July 20, article on Jehovah's Witnesses, and their fight worldwide over several decades for religious freedom and civil rights.

But I am surprised that the author of the piece failed to question the Witnesses' own internal practice of punishing any member of the religion who exercises their individual freedom of speech to publicly question ANY aspect of the Witnesses teaching or policy. A Witness questioning Watchtower teachings is punished by disfellowshipping and a severe form of shunning.

Over just the past two months, four Witnesses who went public on an NBC Dateline program questioning the Watchtower Society's coverup of pedophile problems in the church, were hauled before closed door judicial hearings by Witness elders and disfellowshipped. Witnesses brought before a judicial committee are not allowed to have any form of legal representation with them, nor are they allowed to have a witness present to observe the judicial proceedings. These are essentially "secret tribunals."

The Witnesses practice a severe and rigid shunning as part of their disfellowshipping, which is a form of punishment similar to excommunication in other churches.

Jehovah's Witnesses' practice of fighting relentlessly for the group's freedom to knock on doors to gain converts, while at the same time threatening to discipline and punish any of those individual converts who exercise their freedom of speech against the Witnesses themselves, is a form of hypocrisy hardly matched by any other religion in the modern world. Glorifying the Witnesses as fighters for civil rights and freedom of speech seems a travesty when one understands the broader picture of this religious group.

• Xena
    Xena

btt...this is to good to let roll off the board!

I need to give this some thought...I wish I was articulate as you guys

• freeman
    freeman

Very nice letter Seeker. Maybe with enough people responding to this story, Newsday will finally get on board and take a closer look into the problem. The only reporting they have done on the JW pedophile problem thus far has been to wordsmith stuff off the AP news wire, but nothing original. The shunning issue is of course an integral part of the story but as you eloquently brought out in your letter it is a news worthy story in and of itself.

Freeman

• ronin1
    ronin1

I get the New York Newsday delivered every Sunday, which includes any news articles from Saturday.

As soon as I receive it and read the article for myself, I will send a letter to Newsday regarding the WTS hypocrisy.

Ronin1

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

I agree with everything that DakotaRed said.

Good for you!

YoursChelbie

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I tried putting Jehovah in search and it pulled up 0 results..Help?

Golden Girl

Edit: I found the article on Door to Door.

http://www.newsday.com/features/religion

Now I just need to find the "Readers comments"

Edited by - Golden Girl on 21 July 2002 6:20:28

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit