FRED - get outta that jet!!!

by Michael3000 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Dammit, Freddie - join the Army if you wanna see the world for free...

Stowaway Cat Flies 63,000 Miles

Email this Story Jul 19, 7:33 AM (ET)

LONDON (AP) - Ozzy the flying feline clocked up 63,000 miles in 10 days after escaping from his cage on a flight from the Gulf state of Qatar to London and stowing away in the jet's tail.

Jonathan Boyd and Katie Deacon, who adopted Ozzy while working in the Qatari capital, Doha, paid 220 pounds ($330) to fly him back to Britain on their return.

But when they arrived in London, they were told that he had gone missing from his cage somewhere between Doha and a stopover in Bahrain. British Airways staff searched everywhere, and even put up posters of the white and orange-flecked cat in Bahrain and Doha.

"We were pretty upset about it and I got angry - how the hell can a cat disappear? We were told there was nowhere he could go," said Boyd, 26.

Ten days after Ozzy went missing, he was found on the same plane, having made the 6,300-mile (9,400-km) round trip between Qatar and London every day during his solo adventure.

"We were told he got out and got into the rear cargo hold and into the tail of the plane," Boyd said. "When they found him he was actually black with all the oil and grime on him. He was very skinny and very nervous as well. He is a very lucky cat."

Airport officials believe 1-year-old Ozzy survived by snacking on airport workers' sandwiches when they were unloading the plane.

"We are obviously concerned that Ozzy was able to escape from his cage but we are relieved and happy he has been reunited with his owners," said an airline spokeswoman. "He was certainly looked for thoroughly - our team out there did their very best, but if a cat wants to hide it will."

Edited by - Michael3000 on 19 July 2002 9:11:9

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Disclaimer

Ozzy the cat has no connection or resemblance to that well-known poster from downunder called Ozziepost.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Sorry, Ozzie!

And now, more Cat news:

Cat Calls for All-Feline TV Show

Email this Story Jul 19, 1:41 AM (ET) By TED SHAFFREY

NEW YORK (AP) - Esther Friesner fluffed the pink boa draped across her neck, adjusted her Cat Woman ears, thanked her cats for their support and summoned forth her best inner feline.

"Meow, meow, meow, meow," she sang, her voice pitched high in imitation of a commercial for cat food. "I want turkey, salmon and chicken, oceanfish flavors keep me lickin'."

Friesner, a science fiction writer from Connecticut, was one of dozens of adults and kids Wednesday trying out for a spot on "Meow TV," a new show being shopped around for the fall season for cats.

No, not for cat lovers. For cats.

"If you can imagine the Discovery Channel for cats," said Richard Thompson, CEO of Meow Mix cat food, who is producing the show. "There will be squirrels, bouncing balls, birds and all the things cats love to watch."

Lacking opposable thumbs, felines will have to rely on their owners to tune in to the half-hour show.

According to Thompson, there are 85 million cats in 35 million American households, and 22 percent of pet owners watch TV shows they know their pets enjoy. He thinks he's got a consumer market.

Thompson hopes to put lots of children on the program, so he launched an eight-city auditioning tour - other stops include Atlanta and Dallas. He's also looking for the "Vanna White of cats" to host the new show.

"I like cats a lot, I have two at home," said Melanie Bayon, 14, of New York, who took a turn at the microphone. "I also want to be an actress."

Her father George is still a bit skeptical of the concept.

"They sit by the TV but I don't know if they watch it," he said of the family cats.

The tryout was a good place to find that extreme devotion some people have for their pets.

"I have to confess I often talk to my cat," said Catherine Goodman, after she belted out a spirited yet shrill meow. "They were my role models growing up."

---

On the Net:

http://www.meowmix.com

Edited by - Michael3000 on 19 July 2002 12:38:59

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Us cats are cool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit