Richard Dawkins espouses Militant Atheism: "Mock them, Ridicule them." Attack Religious People with Insults!

by MagicMItchJensen 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Cantleave, yes, I would agree that I'm not agnostic regarding logic because it's in a completely different category than religious belief.

Logic can be used to dismantle many different statements or beliefs other than just religious ones.

Rationalism is not a religion. It's a way to test reality.

• Perry
    Perry

Hi Mitch,

Just saw this thread. I have researched the sociology of atheists quite a bit. They are a diverse group. Dawkins represents the New Atheists.

Though the New Atheists don't represent all atheists; their rude, mocking and smug comportment could possibly explain why atheists are trusted about as much as rapists in certain circumstances.

• cofty
    cofty
    You really do go out your way to be obnoxious don't you Perry?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Perry:

"Though the New Atheists don't represent all atheists; their rude, mocking and smug comportment..."

The reason some atheists are mocking is due to decades of ridicule and rudeness against them from those who believe in god(s).

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Why would some atheists be so rude, mocking, and smug?

From a Jewish standpoint I can certainly tell you why. This describes what is more often than not the average behavior I get from Christians...and I'm a theist!

I was told by someone I thought was my friend the following after he found out I was a Jew: "Why didn't you tell me sooner? I had you over for dinner in my house, sitting at the same table with my own mother! I can't believe you let me do that!" Yep, the words of a Christian.

Mocking? Try putting yourself in my shoes when you constantly hear things like "Christ-killer!" or "too bad you're going to hell" or "you folks made up the Holocaust" or various versions of "you dirty Jew" even today in the 21st century. I don't believe I ever had one atheist or agnostic tell me things like this, but if I had a dime for every Christian that did...

And don't get me started on being smug! Imagine the audacity of a group of foreign people who have stollen your legends and many of your traditions, twisted and turned them to fit their own purposes, and then tell you that don't know your own culture or history as well as they do? That's what it is like to hear a Christian tell you "the true definition of the Messiah as found in Jesus Christ." I have had to remind some of these smug people that the word "Messiah" is a Jewish term and we Jews should know better than anyone how it is defined and of whom the word can be applied to. "But we worry for you Jews," said one lady from the Jews for Jesus movement. "We don't want to see you end up in hell because you refuse to believe in Jesus!"

I don't agree with Mr. Dawkins techniques or approaches, but I sure do understand where he is coming from. It's hard to have self control when you aren't shown courtesy or decent behavior and speech on a regular basis. I can only imagine what it is like for atheists if I have it this tough.

• DJS
    DJS

Richard Dawkins espouses Militant Atheism: "Mock them, Ridicule them." Attack Religious people with insults!"

And the vast, vast majority of atheists yawn and completely ignore him. Stupid hobbitses.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

CalebinFlorida: "But we worry for you Jews," said one lady from the Jews for Jesus movement. "We don't want to see you end up in hell because you refuse to believe in Jesus!"

Caleb can't you appreciate the humor in a statement like that? This lady to me invokes visions of the Church Lady from Saturday Night Live. Now isn't that special. Could it be SATAN! that's got you all upset? LOL

• azor
    azor

Why is it even an issue? Only in upside down alice in wonderland world is this even insulting.

Militant religion is death dealing. Militant atheism involves ridicule of ridiculous ideas. Most would have no issue mocking people espousing Poseidon for a safe sea voyage. How is what Dawkins states any different.

If anyone here wants to take issue with something how about we focus on the real atrocious teachings and belief systems. ISIS, and the like. There is no comparison. Religion of any stripe deserves nothing but disdain from all ethical beings. Whether extreme like ISIS or the pacifist Jains. All stunt human development in one way or another.

It's like we are the 40 year old virgin that refuses to grow up and strike out on our own. Fear of the unknown will continue to cloud minds as long as we continue to enable these belief systems.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Religious people insist that everyone else respect their beliefs yet when an atheist expresses his disbelief in God the religious person cries intolerance!

just the act of an atheist expressing his beliefs is an act of intolerance to the religious one.

It's a double standard. The religious people can push their beliefs on everyone and we must respect it, yet the atheist is deemed to not have beliefs and thus not deserve the same regard

• azor
    azor

Perry the delusional. Yes belief in an imaginary invisible being is delusional. Quantity of the deluded does not make it any less deluded, just more frightening.

The only reason atheists are viewed the way they are in some circles is due to arrogant, prejudiced religious bigots like yourself.

I'm an atheist, a father, husband, son, brother, friend, among many others. My primary fear is that the deluded religious folk will block the progress we have made and devolve society to the religious bigotry of yesteryear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit