Is 2 feet + 3 meters= 5 meters? Jehovah's witnesses say yes it is!

by quincemyles 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• quincemyles
    quincemyles

Have you noticed that adding 607 B.C.E Roman/Gregorian years to 2520 Jewish biblical/prophetic years to get 1914 Roman/Gregorian years C.E is like adding 2 feet + 3 meters= 5 meters?

The insights volume II under heading year, mentions that a bible or prophetic year is reckoned to have 360 days. Many other publications indicate that a prophetic year is 360 days long. Thus the 2520 years have 360 days each. Despite that, they immediately add the 2520 prophetic years to Gregorian 607 B.C which each has 365.2425 days.

What should be done is first to express the prophetic period in terms of Gregorian years. This can be done by multiplying the 2520 years by 360 days, then dividing the product by 365.2425. That would give 2483.83 Gregorian years. These can then be added to Gregorian 607 B.C.E and the terminal date would not be 1914 but 1878 C.E! Jehovah's witnesses have made a math blunder by adding time that is expressed in two different units ! They keep teaching this to the world saying it is the basis for establishing that Jesus became king in 1914

• sir82
    sir82
    What do you expect from the group that gives you overlapping generations, "circle" = "sphere", and the idea that the entire human population of the planet numbered a grand total of 8 just 4400 years ago?
  • StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

Yes. And, I totally missed that problem when I was in and it wasn't until years later that I was looking up stuff I used to believe that I saw it. It was a glaring error. I could not understand how such an obvious problem had escaped me at the time.

It reminds me of the Mars Climate Orbiter disaster:

"...on September 23, 1999, communication with the spacecraft was lost as the spacecraft went into orbital insertion, due to ground-based computer software which produced output in non-SI units of pound-seconds (lbf×s) instead of the metric units of newton-seconds (N×s) specified in the contract between NASA and Lockheed. The spacecraft encountered Mars on a trajectory that brought it too close to the planet, causing it to pass through the upper atmosphere and disintegrate"

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Well, you know they are just imperfect men.

They don't claim to be inspired.

They can make mistakes.

But they're still the "channel" that Jehovah is using.

Doc

• Simon
    Simon
    These can then be added to Gregorian 607 B.C.E and the terminal date would not be 1914 but 1878 C.E

I think they originally had a date around that time as their prophetic end date (Millerites / early Russel bible students) and then they kept changing it as each date passed without any event.

The only reason 1914 stuck (after it was set in the 1920's) is because of WWI making it a landmark year and could make some sense for the claim that "Satan was put on earth".

The thing with numbers and prophecies is you can generate any date you want. It's like the explanations for the star prize on 3-2-1 with Dusty Bin (only people from the UK will probably get that one!). Nothing makes any sense but if you keep talking and act like you believe it then other people might too.

https://youtu.be/MaupanZOTEs?t=2617

• Lemonp
    Lemonp
    So so so tenuous an explanation to hang your proof of divinity on...
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I've commented on this very thing as well (and I'm sure I wasn't the first to notice it). Just like essentially everything about the cult - it works just so long as you don't look too closely at it.
  • Londo111
  • Heaven
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    And this is why numerology, like meth, is bad for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit