JW behavior at my worldly aunt's funeral

by AMarie 9 Replies latest jw friends

• AMarie
    AMarie

Hi everybody. It's been a few months since I've been here, so I thought I'd stop in and say hello. I also wanted to to tell you a story about my JW mother's behavior at my worldly aunt's funeral. This isn't a post of any educational value, just a post for me to rant, so read on if you would like.

About two weeks ago, I attended a funeral for my aunt Julie who, after suffering with cancer for about two years, lost her battle with the disease and passed away. To give you a little background information, my aunt was the oldest daughter of eight girls and was a well known and respected teacher in the Lancaster City School District. She traveled often and had many friends, most of whom showed up at her funeral to pay their respects.

This funeral wasn't conducted in the typical formal fashion. While everybody was dressed in the usual black garb, this funeral was a bit unusual because each person was encouraged to share their memories of my aunt with the rest of the group. One by one, each of my aunts (starting with the oldest) got up in front of the crowd and tearfully recounted some of the best experiences they shared with Julie also saying how much they love her and will miss her. Some of their stories were humorous, some were serious, but they all shared one thing in common: None of my aunts, even the ones zealous in their faiths, felt the need to be preachy in front of the crowd. I admired the fact that they were focusing on my aunt's life instead of giving their opinions about where she is now.

However, this all changed when my JW mom got up to give her speech. With totally dry eyes, my mom gets up in front of the crowd and proceeds to say something like this....

"I got a chance to talk with Julie about the Bible before she died and we had some very interesting conversations. Some day, Jehovah is going to tell Julie to wake up, and she will discover she is in the New System." Carol (my mom) said some other things after this that I can't recall, but it was along the same lines. While I'm sure she had good intentions, it seemed to me she was trying to take advantage of everyone's grief to recruit some new bible studies. It's almost like she thought that she was some kind of saint bringing peace to the masses.

There was an awkward silence after her rant as everyone kind of looked at one another. To break the tension, one of my aunt's said, "Um, thank you Carol" as kindly as she could before the funeral proceeded. For once, instead of being angry at my mother and the Witnesses, I actually felt a bit ashamed and above all very sorry for them. It's almost as if they can't grieve like normal human beings.

The funeral concluded with everyone standing in a circle, holding hands, and saying the lords prayer. (Of course my mother and sister didn't join since it would be wrong to say the lords prayer with pagans.)

No matter how difficult life can get when you leave the JWs and you're on your own, it helps to remember (or be reminded) what it really truly was like to be one of them. It can only get better.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

AMarie,

Thank you. Other than your Mother's speech it seemed like a special way to say goodbye and celebrate your aunt's life.

It is good to rant and I disagree, I found your post educational. You describe the attitudes and behaviour of JWs. It educates the unknowing and reminds us all (well, a lot of us) what we once were like. Reminders are nice.

Thirdson

• TR
    TR

Hi Marie,

Thanks for sharing. Your aunt sounds like a wonderful person.

My 'hovah brother took advantage of my uncle's funeral to try to 'hovahize me. Well, eventually it worked. I was 'hovahized for over 10 years.

TR

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks for dropping by, Amarie, and telling us this experience.

Sadly, the average dub seems unable to share feelings in the way "normal"people do. I think part of it is because of the legacy of Joe Ratherflawed and his teachings. He was clearly anti-family and it seems viewed women as lesser beings. I believe the Borg today has inherited much of its anti-education and anti-culture teachings from him.

It seems strange too that a dub is unable to say the Lord's Prayer. The words of Jesus are, in this instance, unrepeatable. Strange that, when you consider how the recitation of Matthew 24:14 has become something of a mantra to them.

Glad you stopped by to let us know you're OK. Don't make it so long next time, OK?

Cheers, Ozzie

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

My deepest sympathies to you AMarie but it sound like a wonderful way to say good bye to your aunt. As far as your Dub mother is concerned it didn't surprise me. They never miss a beat when they think they have an opportunity to do some conversions.. They are incapable of grieving like normal people. I recall a Jdub aunt I had that died a few years ago. Only one of her children were a dub and the other two were not. It must have been agreed not to bring up the religion thing. I was surprised my cousin that was the dub, said a few words but didn't push the dub thing. I remember though after how my mom didn't think to much of it because it didn't mention her hope for the future. Myself I thought it was good and it was a nice way to celebrate my aunts life.

Will

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

As with every aspect of jw bla bla one has to wonder what is wrong with saying the Lord's Prayer with people of other beliefs? Apart from the jw desire to make a complete dick of yourself everywhere you go, what is wrong with a prayer, which they quote in service: "thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" and doesn't conflict in anyway with JW beliefs? When there is no real reason for being awkward, it's called 'bloody mindedness' isn't it?

Marilyn

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

I think it is important to remember that people deal with grief in different ways and me being English, and typically raised to be reserved in many ways, would not be used to a funeral where everybody plays an active role. To me this would not be normal behaviour and if forced, I may well act in a seemingly inappropriate way and speak out of turn.

Also, I would not personally join in with a group prayer (which I view as being a serious spiritual statement) if I felt that the group were not wholly sincere in their conviction or I shared a different faith from the group. Which I think is reasonable behaviour.

It is a JWs faith to not grieve like the rest and instead try and inject faith in the resurrection (as you all know) and as annoying as this may have been and arguably inappropriate, given the circumstances, it is however understandable on one level.

I'm sure your mother did not try to offend anybody by her actions.

Maybe there is a lesson to be learnt. If you have a JW at a funeral and expect participation of somesort, to approach that individual before the funeral and discuss what the group consider to be appropriate behaviour.

Personally speaking at a funeral, I will keep very quite and sit towards the back of the hall and be quietly reflective.

• kat7302
    kat7302

I really felt for you reading that. Like you, I feel very ashamed in those sort of situations because I know that I would have acted that way too, unbelieveable isnt it when you look back. It really is a different world.

Instead of feeling shame at your mums actions though, just try to remember that she is acting as her heart tells her to. She probably feels that discussing Jehovah at the funeral was the right thing to do. Witnesses are the way they are 24 hrs a day, there is no reprieve. In some ways, I suppose that it was nice your mum actually attended as so many witnesses would have felt that as it wasnt conducted in a kingdom hall, it wouldnt be fitting to attend.

The main thing is, your aunt sounds like she was a very kind and understanding woman and she would have appreciated your mum being there at all.

Love and hugs

• The Angry Atheist
    The Angry Atheist

real sorry to hear about yer aunt.

on a related topic, in my will it states that there is to be a party at my funeral. it is to be atered with 5 cases of pabpts blue ribbon and a pack of smokes will be handed out to all who attend. then there is ganna be a limbo contest and a wet t-shirt contest so that i can avoid just what yer mom tryed to do. -wipe away tears with the napkin of god. thanks to the beer and smokes, only fun peoples witll show and thanks to the wet t-shirt contest, no jw's will show. a good time will be had by all.

sincerly,

the angry atheist

• Valis
    Valis

well...talk about ressurecting old threads...I haven't seen this one in a long while

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit