What was your eye opening moment?

by WasOnceBlind 75 Replies latest jw experiences

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

My mom being DFed started the ball rolling for me. It was wrong and somehow I knew it.

Researching info about The Flood was the beginning of my wake up. After that it was 607. That is the epicentre of JW teachings. Without 607 there is no theology. Once that was clear... The floodgates were open.

I'm now a happy 85% faded atheist. No service in 3.5 years and about 6 meetings a year. Skipped last SAD and probably skipping the RC! Can't wait to NOT sit through three days of brain melting bullshit.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Realizing that evolution had to be true, and realizing that the WTS could never budge on it.
  • careful
    careful
    Coming to realize that the local corruption was just a manifestation of the organization- wide corruption and that it's source was the GB.
  • TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

When I began to realize that regardless of its color the cult of Brooklin smells much more of shit than tastes of chocolate.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    At the group study trying to understand Revelation and suddenly wondering what the hell was I doing working out the ramblings of some 2000 year old eater of magic mushrooms when I could be out living life to the full.
  • moomanchu
    moomanchu

Great thread.

For me it was the November 1, 1995 Watchtower article.

I still remember looking around at everyone and thinking wtf, no one even cares or understands what just happened.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

The actual day I was baptized was the eye opening moment for me. I just got baptized in Plant City, FL in 1992. My best friend was "guarding" a door. He was 15 years old like me. He needed to use the bathroom and asked me to watch this door. I agreed and then this elder came by and told me only a baptized brother could watch the door. I proudly told him I was baptized today, and he told me that it wasn't long enough to have the privilege to guard a door.

Later that day my friend went into a room where the money was being counted. His father was an Elder. I was told I couldn't enter the room. In the room were toddlers, wives nursing infants, teenagers, and others in that room. The difference was they were the spouse and children of Elders. I knew at that very instance they were no different than any other religion when it came to hierarchy and privilege.

I was the son of a worldly father and a "spiritually weak" mother. I was dirt in their eye. Thankfully it allowed me to leave the religion early in life to pursue my education and a good career.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

moomanchu - "For me it was the November 1, 1995 Watchtower article. I still remember looking around at everyone and thinking wtf, no one even cares or understands what just happened."

Ah, the '95 Generation Change; a true classic.

x

It's funny; I think I'm one of the only ones here who, at that time, was relieved at that "change in understanding".

I've told this story here before, but my Dad was a real armchair WT scholar; as a result, I knew WT eschatology backwards and forwards. Problem was, I still realized that all of the mundane, "real-world" events that were supposed to take place in Fred Franz's End-Times script simply couldn't happen overnight; it just wasn't geo-politically and socio-politically possible.

I was aware that the WT had predicted - in print - that they expected Armageddon to take place by the end of the 20th Century and/or before JWs born in 1914 all died off, so by 1995 I was starting to get worried that we were running out of time.

From my POV, the '95 Generation Change bought the WTS some breathing room for the script's sequence of events to still play out as predicted, therefore enabling the WTS to still - in the end - be (mostly) "right".

• done4good
    done4good

Vidiot - From my POV, the '95 Generation Change bought the WTS some breathing room for the script's sequence of events to still play out as predicted, therefore enabling the WTS to still - in the end - be (mostly) "right".

I remember that well. Many were troubled by this change. However, I remember myself being somewhat relieved at the time, since knowing we were past 80 years, something had to give. I was more troubled by the fact the explanation they tried to apply to "generation" then made zero sense, and no two people understood it the same way.

d4g

• Londo111
    Londo111

The October/November 2011 articles on 607. Not only did I find out the Watchtower was mistaken, but the way they quoted and references scholars and their works was entirely dishonest.

No 607->no 1914->no 1919->the entire theology is wrong and they’ve no divine appointment.

Of course, the dishonesty was a more serious issue and a deeper rabbit hole than merely a mistaken theology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit