Gasp! My dad stepped inside church

by Cath 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Cath
    Cath

I went to my non JW nephews wedding very recently which was held in a church and imagine my surprise when I saw my JW dad standing in a side aisle waving to me. I had to pinch myself. Needless to say he didn't remain indoors for the ceremony but I didn't think even walking into a church was allowed. Has that all changed since I was outed nearly thirty years ago?

My JW brother stood like a dill keeping vigil outside the door and you could almost see the terror on his face. I had a really quiet chuckle to myself.

Actually I felt like a dill myself when I was the only one that cried at that wedding but he was my dearly departed twin sisters son so I felt a lot for him not having his mum there.

I just had a thought. If it isn't allowed for a JW to go into a church then maybe,just maybe, there is a ray of hope that my dad is waking up. HAH! Pigs might fly also. Oh well, one can only hope.

Cath

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Cath, to the best of my knowledge, it is a conscience matter. When my oldest daughter was married, one elder told me should not walk her down the aisle, not even attend the ceremony because it was in a chapel and officiated by preacher. However, if I really wanted to attend, then I should make my visit short and stay in the back of the chapel, so as to not stumble any righteous JWs that might wander by and see me inside or coming out. Like a dipwad, I listened and missed one of the most important days I had always looked forward too. I did attend, but, as instructed, stayed in the rear.

Later, feeling a bit guilty, I discussed this quietly with another elder and was informed that there was absolutely nothng wrong with my even walking her down the aisle. Even though hearing that ticked me off, I still accepted them as truth for a short while longer and then just stopped, trying to fade away.

So, I guess it all depends on who you ask. So much for "Pure Language."

Lew W

• Carmel
    Carmel

He, my parents and one brother all three attended my wedding in a Mehtodist church, and I was DF'd at the time! O course that was a century ago!!!

carmel

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I found this comment, Cath, that explains their "official" view;

*** w74 12/15 766-7 Questions from Readers ***
    Questions from Readers

What is the view of Jehovahs witnesses toward attending the wedding of a worldly acquaintance or relative?

In the case of minors who contemplate attending, the final decision rests with the parents. Otherwise it is a matter for personal decision, with each Christian being willing to bear his own responsibility. However, there are Scriptural principles and a wide variety of circumstances that should be considered.

The wedding ceremony may be conducted in a religious building and by a clergyman. This would make it quite different from a purely civil ceremony. A true Christian could not conscientiously join or participate in any prayers or religious exercises that he knew to be contrary to Bible teaching. Nor is he interested to see how close he can come to apostate acts without overstepping the line. He is under obligation to heed the Scriptural command: Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? . . . Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? . . . Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves, says Jehovah, and quit touching the unclean thing.2 Cor. 6:14-17.

Understandably, one invited to attend a wedding of worldly relatives and acquaintances may at times be faced with quite a problem. For example, the invitation may have been extended to a Christian wife and her unbelieving husband. He may think that both of them should be present for the wedding. Yet she may be troubled about it. She may reason that, if she were to attend a church wedding, the emotional pressure of the circumstances could cause her to do something wrong. On the other hand, she might conclude that, out of regard for her husbands wishes, she could go with him merely as a respectful observer, but being determined not to share in any religious acts.

Regardless of how a wife might view the matter, it would be to her advantage to explain her position to her husband. If, on the basis of her explanation, he comes to the conclusion that his wifes presence may possibly give rise to a situation unpleasant to him, he may prefer to go alone. Or, he may still want her to go with him, but as a quiet observer, in which case she will have to decide whether to go.

Something that deserves consideration is the effect that attending a wedding in a religious building might have on fellow believers. Could it injure the conscience of some? Might their resistance to engaging in actual idolatrous acts be weakened by this action of yours? A Bible principle that comes into the picture is: Make sure of the more important things, so that you may be flawless and not be stumbling others up to the day of Christ.Phil. 1:10; see also 1 Corinthians 8:9-13.

At times an invitation to a wedding may include being actively involved as a member of the bridal party. What if this required participation in certain religious acts? Manifestly one desiring to be pleasing to God could not share in acts of false religion; the person must act in harmony with his Word. But a Christian could explain just how he feels and point out that in no way does he want to mar the joy of the wedding day by being responsible for what might prove to be an embarrassing situation.

In matters of this nature, Christians must carefully weigh all the factors involved. Under certain circumstances they may conclude that no difficulties would arise if they were to attend as quiet observers. On the other hand, the circumstances may be such that a Christian may reason that likely injury to his conscience or that of others by attending such worldly wedding outweighs the possible benefits of attending. Whatever the situation, the Christian should make sure that his decision will not interfere with his preserving a good conscience before God and men.

Lew W
  • onacruse
    onacruse

Dakota: the 6/15/02 WT had similar comments in QFR re: "If someone commits suicide, would it be advisable for a Christian minister to give the funeral talk?" It is "judged" to be a conscience matter, with many of the same caveats in the w74 you posted.

Cath: More and more such issues (e.g. voting, alternative military service, allogenic blood transfusions), previously ruled by WTS as UNCHRISTIAN, are now moving into the "individual conscience" category.

Especially during the last 5 years many JWs have already been moving in the same direction. Almost a grass-roots rebellion.

Pigs may never fly, but there is always hope that people will get their wings

• Cath
    Cath

Hi Dakota,

Thanks for the info as I dont have access to any.

That is so sad that you missed out on walking your daughter down the aisle. I don't know, but I would think that would be a fathers biggest delight after their daughters birth. Hugs to you.

When I was still 'in' I seem to remember that it was a big no no to enter a church, but that may have just been the cong I was in. So much is changing and has changed since I was ousted and eventually found my way to this board some 29 years later that it all is so hard to keep up with. Since I don't really have the opportunity to talk with the family much and when I do I avoid talking religion at all possible costs I don't know what is what now. It IS nice to see SOME softening on some of the issues but I still don't trust the WBTS. Wouldn't trust 'em as far as I could kick 'em!

onacruse,

I feel terrible now because of my attitude. Yes there is always hope that people will get thier wings and I do hope with all my heart that the rest of my family will grow thiers. I just thank the "all that is" that I was born with mine... although it took me a little while to stretch them...and that I was able to keep my darling daughters clear of the murk that is the WTBTS.

Carmel,

It seems like a century ago since I was in so how long is your century?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit