Relatives Now Shunned

by Thirdson 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Previously on the Watchtower Media site there were (at best) some half-truths about members who no longer associate and disfellowshipping not breaking family ties. They even said "pastoral visits". This appears to have changed, no doubt because they were two-faced.

Do you shun former members?

Those who simply leave the faith are not shunned. If, however, someone unrepentantly practices serious sins, such as drunkenness, stealing, or adultery, he will be disfellowshipped and such an individual is avoided by former fellow-worshipers. Every effort is made to help wrongdoers. But if they are unrepentant, the congregation needs to be protected from their influence. The Bible clearly directs: "Remove the wicked man from among yourselves." (1 Corinthians 5:13) What of a man who is disfellowshipped but whose wife and children are still Jehovah's Witnesses? The spiritual ties he had with his family changes, but blood ties remain. The marriage relationship and normal family affections and dealings can continue. As for disfellowshipped relatives not living in the same household, Jehovah's Witnesses apply the Bible's counsel: "Quit mixing with them." (1 Corinthians 5:11) Disfellowshipped individuals may continue to attend religious services and, if they wish, they may receive spiritual counsel from the elders with a view to their being restored. They are always welcome to return to the faith if they reject the improper course of conduct for which they were disfellowshipped.

The answer to the question is: Yes, we shun former members and congregation members will shun the disfellowshipped minors of JW parents who will bring them to the meetings to be shunned.

Thirdson

• ballistic
    ballistic

"Every effort is made to help wrongdoers" : after an accusation has been made against a brother to the elders of a disfellowshipping offense, this help will often be in the form of a JUDICIAL COMITTEE, the purpose of which is to investigate the accusation, assess whether the acused is repentant or not and to take any necessary action including disfellowshipping.

In my case this process took 10 MINUTES.

A week later, I asked for some emotional / spiritual help and guidance from an elder and he told me to go to the Citizens Advice Beurau. (this is a free information service in the UK.

The brothers very kindly explained to me prior to me leaving the judical comittee that they were disfellowshipping me in order to save me 'from the fire'.

As far as I am concerned this is a lie:

Every effort is made to help wrongdoers

• waiting
    waiting

howdy third,

Interesting changes - thanks for the post.

Those who simply leave the faith are not shunned.

I think the old verse said "We do not shun those who simply cease to be active" (paraphrased). However - here's the catch, the WTBTS is STILL NOT ANWERING THEIR OWN QUESTION.

DO YOU SHUN FORMER MEMBERS?

Those who simply leave the faith are not shunned.

Those "who simply leave the faith" are STILL MEMBERS - just not active, and shouldn't be shunned - they've done nothing wrong, even in LaLaLand.

Of course, in reality, many of those "who simply leave the faith" ARE shunned - but the WTBTS very rarely speaks with reality in view - just read their mags.

waiting

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Please read 1988 Apr.15 Watchtower mag. "Discipline That Can Yield Peaceable Fruit".

Both DF and DA are to be shunned. They say that it'll be hard when the family ties are involved. But they also say that it is "a test of loyalty to God".

The Bible talks about shunning "antichrist" and others such as fornicators, adulterers.....etc. But I'm none of those. Why do I have to be shunned? ( whine, whine....;-p)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit