Disclosure: Can it make a difference?

by morrisamb 6 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

I just spent 3 hours last night talking with a Witness who is visiting my mother from another country. Even though I am diassaccociated, she listened to my story.

She said that she totally understood that since I was introduced to Jehovah by the same person who sexually abused me, how could I believe in HIS faith? I explained that molesters who use "faith" of any kind to enable them to abuse, destroy their victims' ability to trust a higher power, thereby, isolating the child further. If children can't "turn" to God, who can they trust? How many times did I hear my abuser say, "Thou must honour your father and mother!"

I also said, that while the congregation disfellowshipped my abuser, they did nothing for us victims because they sent us home with him. Hence, they helped my molester isolate us further, as the brothers and sisters visited us even less because of his excommunication! Even the Elders told us children, yet again, "Thou must honour your father and mother!"

This Witness said that my sitation was just like the priests and their victims. "How could anyone expect those children to trust their faith, when they were introduced to it by their abuser?" she said. "Your book will do a lot to help us all understand this situation better. Many people just don't realize how dangerous a man like your father is. That he should have been removed your home, the community and not just the Kingdom Hall."

So maybe individually our honesty, our stories, our humanity can make a difference. It already has to countless silent victims who found strength in knowing they are not alone and not to blame.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Donald (have I remembered right?),

Good point about individual jw's and speaking with them. I'm glad you were listened to, understood, and some good came out of your experience and your great effort at writing your book.

My old, very faithful jw mil saw the Dateline show. Her response? "Well, I never said that Jehovah's people were anything but imperfect men. But it's STILL Jehovah's Organization, and I'm faithful to IT and not following imperfect men."

"And so it goes." yada, yada, yada.

Hope you're having a good day!

waiting

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Thanks waiting! Yes, Donald it is.

It was so funny..when I was talking with the Witness, I could tell my Mother was uncomfortable in a way...it was like I was reverse witnessing...and she didn't want me to influence the Witness. Even so, my Mother agrees that the Elders should have done more!

Another point I made was that my siblings and my own baptisms were not real...we had so many problems and we did what we felt we had to do to have this special feeling they all had...We didn't want to live forever on paradise earth as much as we just were trying to do the right thing. So because we tried to do what's best (including baptism) we pay for it now because they all won't talk to us. What is so ridiculous is that much of our problems initially had to do with the fact that we had to live with our molester 3 more years after the abuse was discovered (with continued abuse)! So the same people who did NOTHING for us won't talk to US!! How absurd, self-righteous and presumptious. This Witness understood my point of view and said that God is judge, not man.

Hey there's hope yet, eh? Yeah, I am Canadian!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

There are some people who are having their eyes opened. All the attention all our talking is making a difference. I have been talking for 17 years now. Not everyone will listen but some will. I will keep talking for those ones who will listen.

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

I agree fellow Canadian Lady Lee, people are listening and responding. I just got these emails today(edited versions to protect identity) from someone who wanted to post on this web site but wasn't a member. They had seen some info. on my book here. Talk about a day brightener! At the very least we know that our stories are helping people feel no longer alone and part of a global network. Dear Donald: I have not figured out yet how to sign up on Jehovah's-witness.com, so I can post yet! ..... I would like the title of your book and I would hope that the Panorama expose on Sunday will mention your work. Have you posted on Silentlambs? You would be a great help for many people. I have read posts from Canada that the problem of child sexual abuse is worse and that they get very little time in jail if at all. There is one woman .... who is afraid of being killed if she speaks up and says that she would have to move and change her identity. You need to at least let silentlambs - who by the way are not so silent anymore, know about your book, so that they can read it. It is people like yourself that will make the difference. ..... Child abuse is spiritually degrading - I have struggled all my adult life ... I am just now able to "feel" entitled to God's love and forgiveness. Do you know about Post Trauma Stress?? There is an excellent resource patiencepress.com or org. not sure. She is an expert and I found her material very accurate and clarifying. I was just looking at your e-mail address [ [email protected]] - fathers touch. Sounds familiar. Is this the title of your book?? I am so sorry that you had to experience child sexual abuse - and I am sorry that your mother let him stay. My children were sexually abused ..... They still bear the scars each one of them. Lots of grief. Anyway, Donald I will look for your book and I will tell others about it. I have found that God is faithful and that his hand is on those who have experienced atrocities and don't hate. The lack of hate in your heart is God's hand on you. ..... I am a truth seeker, hate lies and any twisting of reality - this is God's hand on me; I take no credit for this. God is faithful - not us. Religion is politics and has nothing whatsoever to do with the faithfulness of God. But I think you know this already. ________ ________ [I thanked for her kind thoughts and after going to my web site www.fatherstouch.com she emailed me again....] Dear Donald What I have read so far is very succinct - you have an incredible gift for writing. I will post on Silentlambs and I will email Bill Bowen. This book needs to be read my alot of people. I might buy one to send to the WTS. Every therapist should read it and every University should require it for reading. I am not flattering you- I am serious. So you do know about PTS - of course.... I only thought Vietnam vets has PTS. I just thought I was "crazy" and everyone else had their opinion/ridicule/judgement etc.... of me. .....You mentioned "Touched by an Angel," --that program was the first time I could even conceive that God might love me. "God loves you..." That was about 5 years ago. I have come a long way. I am a hell-raiser now!!! Two years ago I started uncovering every single lie I have believed. I have alot to say about lies and how they take our "image" away and drain us of our life force. We are made in God's image and the lies are to make us in the image of the liar. No, I had not been to your web site before. ...n ever ever forget that God love's you - he has given you more than the gift of writing, but also the gift of insight, your intelligence, your compassion for your siblings and your mother - you have been deeply loved and touched by God. Warm regards, _________ __________

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

PS. I think all the media attention given this story has affected some Witnesses. I got this order from a Witness all the way in Sweden for 10 of my books! Hi Donald, I would like 10 copies of Fathers Touch. I have allready promised a lot of my friends that they will get the book from me as soon as I will recive them. I think it is more important than ever. I put a lot of effort to bring this issue out in the different congregations to help them understand this important subejct has to be worked on as fast as possible in order to be able to protect all our children as good as we can. That meens we have to learn to detect the kind of people who becomes molesters. Hopefully the book soon will be in my hands. In december I hope to be able to join some classes in how to detect molestes and how to help children allready molestred in our congregations. As Ive allways say. One is one to much. Vstervik Sweden

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

I cannot believe how many silent lambs there are out there!! Hopefully there is strength in numbers... another email to my web site today... Hi Donald, I just ordered your book. I pray that it will help _________ who was raped by [a JW] ...then by the Elders & Governing body. I "drifted" away . I moved to another area.... I so look forward to your book. I hope _________will read it and that it will help her. Her life is a real mess. I hope that Maurice continues to be supportive of you. I wish ________ could find someone to give her strength and confidence in herself. Take care, _______

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit