Those who were converts from another faith. When did you realize that you were being lied to?

by TTWSYF 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

My experiences have included being lied to about what the bible says. Mind you , I am not referring to scripture twisting, I mean out right lying about what is written.

Obviously at least some here didn't realize until it was later.

Just wondering what others experienced.

Thanks

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    Or perhaps not as many as I had thought
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I was a convert to duburgatory and I notice straight off the bat that there was quite a talent amongst JWs for quoting scripture out of context.

I always put it down to lazy ignorance rather than outright lying. On the other hand, lying by omission was rampant.

• blondie
    blondie

Matt. 24:12

I did find that individual jws did not know what the official WTS interpretation was. Many times I would hear jws apply this to the congregation.

(Matthew 24:11, 12) . . .; 12 and because of the increasing of lawlessness the love of the greater number will cool off.

*** w84 10/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Do Jesus’ words that “the love of the greater number will cool off” mean that this will occur among true worshipers now?

With good reason we believe that Jesus was not foretelling a large-scale loss of love among Jehovah’s people.

The apostles had asked for ‘the sign of Jesus’ presence and of the conclusion of the system of things.’ Jesus foretold wars, earthquakes, food shortages and persecution of Christians. He added: “Because of the increasing of lawlessness the love of the greater number will cool off.”—Matthew 24:3-12.

Much of that prophecy found a fulfillment between then (33 C.E.) and the great tribulation on Jerusalem that the Romans caused in 70 C.E. (Compare Luke 19:41-44; 21:5-28.) During that interval, did the love of most anointed Christians cool off? No. Those who fell away from Christianity during that generation evidently were in the minority. Most Christians experiencing persecution from the Jews kept up “declaring the good news of the word,” displaying love for God, for unbelievers and for fellow Christians. (Acts 8:1-25; 9:36-42) But love did cool off among the Jews, who claimed to be true worshipers. The greater number of them ignored Jesus’ warning, revolted against Rome and resorted to a violent defense of their nation.

*** w67 12/1 pp. 735-736 Questions From Readers ***

love of the greater number find fulfillment in Christendom or among Jehovah’s Christian witnesses?—P. A., U.S.A.

The things that have occurred in this generation show that both Christendom and God’s true servants are involved in the fulfillment of this prophecy. In the twenty-fourth chapter of Matthew Jesus Christ was describing to four of his disciples different aspects of the composite sign that would be observed during his second presence. After mentioning wars, food shortages, earthquakes and persecution of true Christians, he added: “Many false prophets will arise and mislead many; and because of the increasing of lawlessness the love of the greater number will cool off.”—Matt. 24:11, 12.

The various aspects of this composite sign have been in evidence since the establishment of God’s kingdom in 1914, including the leading of people away from the Bible and fundamental Christian beliefs. The clergy of Christendom joined the trend to label the Bible as mythological; then they mixed in among their teachings human theories such as evolution, and now they spread the “God is dead” idea. Whereas people in Christendom claiming to be Christian used to read the Bible and view it as God’s inspired Word, many have now been led away from it by their ‘false prophet’ religious leaders. And some of the leaders have as much as admitted this. One clergyman told a Baptist convention: “A spirit of lethargy has overcome the people . . . and it is our fault.” Another minister told the same group: “We have drifted away from the practice of scriptural Christianity.”—Houston Post, December 5, 1964, page 15.

With millions of persons in Christendom rejecting the Bible as the standard to follow, morals have been adversely affected. There has been an increase of lawlessness. Some think that if there is a God he is not concerned with what they do. The people in general are frightened by the resulting crime and lawlessness, but, instead of their turning to God, they drift farther away from Him. As the aforementioned clergyman noted, they become lethargic and what love for God and fellowman they had diminishes; it cools off.

Some wonder how these can be the “greater number” referred to in this text, since they are not even true Christians. But they claim to be so. Of all the people professing to be Christians, these having little love for God and neighbor constitute the majority, the greater number.

However, those who are actually Christians can also be involved in this prophecy. For a time following the setting up of the Kingdom in 1914 Jehovah’s servants were in a state of spiritual captivity. There was persecution from the outside, and even within the organization of true Christians there were problems. Some had allowed their love for God to grow cold and they tried unlawfully to seize control of the organization. When they failed, they fell away and became an “evil slave” class, opposing those who continued to show true love for God. (Matt. 24:48-51) And over the years others have been influenced by the lawlessness of the world or have let their love die down for some other reason. The cooling off of their love caused them to abandon true worship and to join the imitation Christians, thus adding to the “greater number.”

Yet there appears to be no reason to conclude that the greater number of those in Jehovah’s organization of Christian witnesses now are going to lose their love for God in the future. The lawlessness and lack of love in the world is already well advanced, but most of Jehovah’s witnesses are remaining devoted to God and with strong love. Even so, we each need to be concerned with our own spirituality so that our love for God remains strong. (Matt. 22:37) If that is the case with each one of us, Jesus’ words in the next verse of Matthew chapter 24 will be fulfilled in us: “He that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved.”—Matt. 24:13.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

The last time that I was blatantly lied to was during a 'bible talk'with two witnesses. The older witness said something to the effect of

"You don't think Jesus really said that Peter is the rock that he would build his church, do you?"

My reply was,' I KNOW that he said that, because I've read it' I was a little aggressive in my reply and he just shut down after I said that I read it in the bible.

A better reply from me would have been

"You don't think Jesus really didn't say to Peter that he is the rock that Jesus would build his church on"

of course, the reply would have to be snarky.

Just saying

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

The interaction that I've had with jovie world has led me to believe that it isn't so much lying that's at issue, it's more a case of :

• what they don't say
    • what they 'help' you to assume
    • what they quote out of context
    • what they assume/hope that you don't know

It's not just the above that's at issue though. It's far more clever than that. What jovie world does is to slowly but deliberately build misconception upon misconception and, pretty soon, one has a totally skewed view of the world that bears no relation whatsoever to reality.

Based upon this approach, the only logical conclusion that one can draw is that the jovie way is the truth and that god exists and is as jovie world portrays him to be.

I've read a lot of jovie literature and it's quite clever too. What it does is to ask questions of the reader in such a manner that there is only one answer which appears to be logical. There is nothing wrong with the answer, given the way that the question is framed. However, there is everything wrong with the question because the framing is invalid and set in such a way that what appears to be the logical answer is, in fact, incorrect. Again, jovie literature builds incorrect answer on incorrect answer until, pretty soon, the only logical conclusion that one can draw is that the jovie way is the truth and that god exists and is as jovie world portrays him to be.

May no mistake, someone in jovie world has thought it through.

• paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty

I was baptised 12 years ago. Over the time I saw many things. Some questions came across my mind but just as a wisper, I never really thought of them, not even in my mind, I do not think I even had the courage to formulate those questions in my mind.

Lately I felt even more and more that something is wrong or that I do not get something right. - was not sure which was the case.

I prayed to God to show me what I understand wrongly, where I am wrong.

And later I came across a quotation from a book: the desire for peace and security worldwide, ch 1 par. 16 which says: Jesus is not the mediator between God and all mankind, Jesus is the mediator between God and the 144 000.

I started researching this and I discover this is one of their main doctrine. This is why only the annointed are partaking, only them are considered children of God, only them are part of the congregation of God. They consider this understanding a part of the sacred secred revealed to them.

But this is also a hiden doctrine. They hide it from most JW's. I am sure less of 80% of jw's have no idea of this but this is one of their main doctrine in reality.

In last month's study article they even say other sheeps are saved by the way they treat the annointed ones and by the things they do for them. So, their salvation is by deeds not divine grace.

This doctrine is against everything that the Bible says on God, Crist or true christianity. This is such a distortion of christianity. I wish jw's could understand this.

As I study more I discover more and more doctrines who are not supported by the Bible and more and more things that prove there is no way God would have chosen this org. As His "only" channel of comunication on earth.

They do not give spiritual food, but poisen!.

I am upset with myself for not researching into other sources all this years and just taking as good and valid all they said...

• Chook
    Chook

When I read elders book about page 38 paragraph 19

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Besides the unfathomable "Overlapping generation" and absurd "Type/Anti-type" doctrines...when Candace Conti sued the WT (which was mentioned on watchtower.com-jw-media in 2012) and was paid $ 2.800.000 compensatory damages in 2015 (which was NOT mentioned on jw.org!). Definitely not apostate lies!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit