“Ticket to Heaven” – showed my parents

by SAHS 4 Replies latest jw friends

• SAHS
    SAHS

Last evening, I saw the 1981 movie called “Ticket to Heaven” with my longtime and longstanding elder dad and my mom last night. (They are now in their late 70’s.) Afterward, I showed them the softcover book by Steven Hassan called “Releasing the Bonds,” which they found rather interesting. (That was actually the third of his books I have read. I have also read all the books by Raymond Franz, M. James Penton, Carl Olof Johnsson, and William J. Schnell.) My teacher actually showed this movie on an old film projector in a high school course called “Man In Society” around grade ten.

Here is a link to the description of the movie:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083201/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

I’m hoping that through the material I’ve been showing them, I will be able to at least provide them with some objective insight regarding people’s vulnerability of being unduly influenced by various cults. Unfortunately, in my case, I realize the impossibility of making my parents “see the light” regarding the WT outfit with which they have been involved for so very much of their lives. However, at the very least I will be further laying the groundwork for general understanding when the time comes for me to follow through with my fade to a complete conclusion.

The way I look at it, every little bit helps toward my total mental, physical, and spiritual independence. Whatever progress I can attain in making my parents become aware of TTATT is really just icing on the cake.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I hope you enjoyed Ticket to Heaven,” I've been recommending it for years.

When I first saw it, my reaction -- I was still "dubbish" -- was, "Wait, that's like us."

Of course the JWs and the cult depicted in "Ticket" are not identical in all aspects, but that is what makes the movie so valuable. It creates "micro-dissonance," and cognitive cracks NEVER get smaller.

On thing you have to allow for, SAHS, is the great amount of investment you folks have with the WTB&TS. Its as though they've spent their lives waiting for the Nigerian Prince to finally come through on his promises... they are likely to prefer continuing to wait rather than admit that they were hoodwinked.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    Thanks I had never heard of that movie. It's on YouTube if anyone wants to check it out.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I`ll have to check that one out

smiddy

• steve2
    steve2

When JWs watch media presentations on cults, they focus on the few traits that distinguish their organization from the cults and ignore the many traits that are similar. That explains why they can criticize without blushing the unquestioning obedience of Scientologists, Moonies, Mormons and Exclusive Brethren and their respective shunning practices and NOT "see" the similarities with their own practices. Similarly, members of these other cults notice cultic practices in the other groups but not their own.

There's none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit