The curious case of the Nepal coffee morning, Red Kites, Arlo Guthrie, life in the boonies and god

by Doltologist 0 Replies latest jw experiences

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

It's a beautiful morning here so instead of driving to the local shops, I decided to walk.

On the way, I was treated to an aerial and vocal display by a pair of Red Kites. What magnificent birds they are. So graceful, so elegant.

I passed by the local Methodist church hall where a coffee morning to raise funds for Nepal was being held. I fancied a coffee and also wanted to do my bit for the Nepal disaster. I've given several times before but a bit more always helps.

I'd just got my coffee an a couple of biscuits when the local vicar introduced himself. 'I haven't seen you before, are you new to the village?' he says. 'No', I said, 'I've lived here for a few years.' 'Are you a member of another congregation?' he said. 'No', I said, 'I'm an atheist'.

I don't know how many of you have listened to Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant but there's a part where Arlo tells people that he was put in jail for littering and he says 'And they all moved away'. Well, I felt like Arlo Guthrie. Those around me went completely silent. That's the problem with 'life' out here in the boonies.

He asked my why I was an atheist and then proceeded to go on and on and on about god's magnificence, yada, yada.

Finally, I was able to mention Dawkins, Hitchins, Krauss and Carrier.

Mistake, big mistake.

He said 'I think it's best you leave'. 'Why?' I said, taken completely aback. 'I think that it would be best'.

I could have understood it had I been disrespectful or loud or derogatory but I wasn't. I was politeness itself.

And that, folks, is why we need places like this.

That's one thing that I do like about jovies. They are always willing to get into a verbal fight over god. OK, they are not much good at it but at least the ones I've met will stand up to the plate and go at it toe to toe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit