my encounter with a jw today

by raven101 6 Replies latest jw friends

• raven101
    raven101

I started a new job today and there were several odd coincidences. My new employer and co-worker were outside in the breezeway on a smoke break when a woman meandered by (yes she was meandering) she asked very casually in passing "Would you care for some bible literature today?" holding out a watchtower and awake as she passed. We all said no and she continued her casual pace.

It was weird because she never even altered her pace, she was just meandering kind of dreamily along and she really didn't seem to be at all interested in what she was doing.

Then it got weirder.

I said flippantly "I used to be one of them." And my new boss said her sister is one and she hasn't really spoken to her since she became one except to tell her that if she was ever on her deathbed in need of blood she had better not look to her because she would be out of luck.

It was weird coincidences all day. I also found out my boss has 5 sisters also! Needless to say I don't have that in common with many people.

There were several more coincidences but I won't bother with them . . . you know once you start noticing them they just multiply. I couldn't count them anymore.

Anyway, the witness wasn't the first that I have run into lately that just seems to be on autopilot . . . the ones I have been running into don't seem to have any passion.

Is this a growing trend? Has anyone else had similar experiences with witnesses lately?

Raven101

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Have you pinched yourself today to see if you were dreaming, or maybe in a parallel world? Sounds eerie.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

ooh, "autopilot" is exactly right! i have said the same thing about my sister and niece, and my son said the same thing about the whole lot of them that night we went to the kingdom hall. it's that zombie elixir, i'm tellin' ya!

p.s. somebody should tell her it's highly crass and possibly illegal to do that kind of #@$#% at the office. i think it'a violation of some civil rights laws, or something. p.p.s. i read on their message board "tips for telephone witnessing" so now they're gonna start doing that too.

ew.

• raven101
    raven101

Yeah Incense I live in a secured building and I got an offer from a witness over the phone several years ago "Hello, my name is ____ and I'm calling to offer you a bible study, we tried to call on you but your building is . . . "

Needless to say, it was an offer I could refuse.

Raven101

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

oh, so that's why they're doing that now... what with more and more gated communities being built every day. you know, you can ask telephone solicitors to place you on their "do not call" list. if they call you again, they get fined 500 dollars. i wonder if the same rule applies to the witlesses. knowing them, they found some loophole to squeeze through. better watch out - she might start leaving watchtowers in the break room... if she walked in and attempted to leave some i would say oh may i have those please with a big smile and then when she gave them to me i would toss them into the trash bin just to see her reaction

• professor
    professor

I wonder if that law applies to non-profit groups or political campaigns, I&P! Of course all you would have to do to get on all of the Witness "do-not-call" lists is to tell them you are D.F.'d!

Telemarketing, even for non-profit is strictly regulated in most states. I wonder if JW's are following the laws of the land on this when they start dialing for disciples.

• Bang
    Bang

"Would you care for some bible literature today?" holding out a watchtower and awake as she passed. We all said no and she continued her casual pace.

You passed up the opportunity to witness to your work colleagues.

"That's not Bible literature is it?", would have really helped everyone out a bit.

Bang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit