attn. all vikings

by outoftheorg 6 Replies latest jw friends

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I am hoping some of the Norwegian people on this forum can help me out on this.

My father was born In Moss Norway in 1879. I would like to get some genealogy on my ancestors and maybe contact some cousins etc.

I have my grandfathers and my grandmothers name and not much else. For whatever reason there was little or no comunication between my father and his relatives in Norway. Although there seemed to be no rifts between them.

If you know of some internet sites IN NORWAY where I could scan birth records and such I would appreciate your help In geting the addresses. The genealogy sites in USA haven't helped any yet.

• Valis
    Valis

Hope this helps some, the link is to geneology.com's Norway message board.....good luck!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "horned viking" class ............Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam.....

• Atreyu
    Atreyu

I found www.digitalarkivet.no very useful. This is a centralized, governmental archive, searchable to anyone. The amount of data is expanding every day, consisting of consensuses, church records, military records, legal documents etc. Pages also in English.

Contact me if you need more info.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hey thanks Atreyu.

I will give that site my attention.

If I need more help how would you like me to contact you. Through this post or using e mail?

I know that I must have some cousins in Norway but for some reason unknown to me there was no comunication by my father to his relatives in Norway. He came here to USA when he was 13 yr old, with his mother and two sisters. His dad died fighting a fire in Moss at the ship docks on the water front when my dad was 9 yr old. Sometime later around 1923 his mother and two sisters returned to Norway. I wish I could speak Norwegian but my dad did not use the language and not did see a reason to teach it to me. I was born late in his life. He was 56 years old and that probably had something to do with it. He was always proud of being from Norwegian heritage and instilled that same feeling in me. One of these days I may take a trip to Norway. I would sure enjoy it.

Thanks again and best wishes.

• Atreyu
    Atreyu

E-mail will do fine: [email protected]

So, from Moss? I don't know many in Moss, a few though. Any particular family name? I know that most Norwegians went to Minnesota, S. & N. Dakota and the neighbouring states. I have some distant relatives there, myself.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Hmmmm yep I have family in Minn, but we are Swedes :) (nieghbors???)

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hi crazy drinker.

Yeah Swedes and the Norwegian are neighbors. I can recall my dad singing some ditty about chasing 10,000 Swedes through the weeds or something like that. Maybe they didn't always get along too well. But strangly enough he was willing to brawl with anyone who bad mouthed his Swedish friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit