The Governing Body

by ChristianObserver 0 Replies latest jw friends

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

Hello :o)

A *gem* from the AOL Christianity Message Board.

Any thoughts?

>Subject: Re: A strange conversation...
    Date: 10/07/2002 14:32 GMT Standard Time

>>>>Fro strange conversation with a Jehovah's Witness.
    >But she then said, 'in fact, I don't even know who is on the Governing Body, who give us proper spiritual food at the right time, because they are so humble.'
    > Now, to be perfectly honest, I found that a little bit disturbing.>>>

She probably meant that she didn't know the names of the Governing Body by heart. I can name one or two from memory but if I wanted the entire list I would have to look them up. There are millions of witnesses throughout the world - we cannot know everybody. We know intimately the elders in our own congregations and we are obviously very close to our Circuit Overseers - similar to a Bishop who visits the congregation every 6 months - he reports back to the organisation with our needs and concerns. As for knowing the Governing Body - they are not that important - they do not teach their own opinions - everything in the Watchtower is supported by scripture and it is the scripture that we follow - not the teachings of the governing body.

and

>>>> And more particularly, why do you need the W/T or Awake mags in the first place? Aren't they extra-biblical, ongoing revelation, like the mormon teachings?>>

They are designed to help us keep up with Bible teaching and also to help teach others about the Bible.

The Bible is complete - the magazines merely draw attention to what the Bible says and puts it in modern context. In addition there are articles which attempt to answer questions people have about the Bible and to address problems which arise in the Christian congregation amongst imperfect humans.

Hmmm!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit