Barings Bank & the JWs

by Doltologist 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

The only think that will stop a large-enough religion like the WTS is financial issues and even then there are enough zealots who would sacrifice their own financial well-being to bail them out so it would have to be sustained issues to cripple them.

And at some point they would simply walk away from the corporate structures and setup new ones, have a variation on the name and be right back in business.

Even if the GB announced they were wrong about everything and had simply been making everything up - people would still believe it and follow them.

The best we can hope for is really a slow decline or stagnant growth and aging membership so it will die a natural death. It's unlikely though. Once a religion gets to a certain size it's almost impossible for them to fail - just look at Scientology.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Simon

- just look at Scientology.

I'd rather not. JW has made me sick to the stomach as it is.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Doltologist - "What kind of things would bring the whole JW thing to its knees?"

I've given this question a lot of thought, and the only scenario that I think might do it - might, mind you - is if the WTS were indicted for criminal negligence / conspiracy / tax evasion.

However, the only way that I can think of for that to actually work is if lower-ranking whistleblowers agreed to testify in exchange for immunity from prosecution, and once the GB were finally in the hot seat, they'd get reduced sentences (or even dropped charges) only if they publicly (a.k.a. on CNN, etc.) renounced and dissolved the WTS, admitted the Org has always been wrong, and told the rank-and-file to move on with their lives.

However, something tells me the GB would rather commit group suicide than do that...

...although, now that I think about it, that would accomplish a lot, too.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Taxation has been mentioned - making jovie land pay tax would mean that they'd simply put yet more pressure on members to cough up more bucks.

A coup has been mentioned - however, some members would go with the current regime and the rest would go with the new. We would simply have two jovie worlds to deal with instead of one.

Paedophilia has been mentioned but it doesn't seem to adversely affect jovie world nor the katlicker church too much.

The only way this evil cult can be killed off as far as I can see is if far more people leave the organisation than joins it. It's that simple. You don't even have to get everyone to leave. Just enough such that the funds coming are insufficient to sustain the organisation. Once that happens, assets have to be liquidated and it's then downhill all the way. Eventually, although the organisation still may have a reasonably substantial membership, it will be untenable as an organisation because of the funding gap between what it needs to survive on a daily basis and the amount coming in. Of course they have assets that they can liquidate in the short term but although they are large, they aren't infinite. Besides, once the top management can't afford their large cars, houses and solid gold watches, they'll desert the sinking ship and the whole lot will quickly implode.

How do you get more people to leave than join?

Bad press. This causes existing members to leave and potential new ones not to join.

Essentially, this is what DoC & Simon were getting at.

• millie210
    millie210
    What about a really juicy scandal with a Governing Body member at the epicenter?
  • Doltologist
    Doltologist

Millie210

What about a really juicy scandal with a Governing Body member at the epicenter?

Nah, that won't work. All that will happen is that new members will be appointed to gb who are of the same ilk as the existing ones and life will continue as normal.

Nah, what one needs to do, IMHO, is to highlight those cases where jovie parents are prepared to let their children die rather than have blood transfusions and to emphasise to all and sundry that jovie world is a high mind control cult.

• millie210
    millie210

So Jws would view abdication of one GB member kind of like Judas leaving the 12?

I see what you mean - guess it wouldnt be huge enough to work.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Millie210

I see what you mean - guess it wouldnt be huge enough to work.

I agree with Simon. It needs sustained action not just a one-off unless that one-off is absolutely huge.

• zeb
    zeb

the revelation of the paedophile record.

Lots and lots of scandals hitting the evening media.. repeatedly.

some intelligent debate for the thinkers of the wt clinging to 607 in the face of the better evidence.

A few more cases like the Conti case being won with big payouts.

US Tax authority moving on NY bethel for tax purposes as they claim to be charity but do no charitable work .

The WT then dumping on individual congs as 'separate entities' that have to carry the costs of this. (Have you paid for your house there brother and sister Publisher?)

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Zeb

the revelation of the paedophile record.

Lots and lots of scandals hitting the evening media.. repeatedly.

some intelligent debate for the thinkers of the wt clinging to 607 in the face of the better evidence.

A few more cases like the Conti case being won with big payouts.

US Tax authority moving on NY bethel for tax purposes as they claim to be charity but do no charitable work .

The WT then dumping on individual congs as 'separate entities' that have to carry the costs of this. (Have you paid for your house there brother and sister Publisher?)

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit