Upcoming WT article - The Pedophile Issue

by Hmmm 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

In Bibleexaminer's thread (letter read tonight) the question was asked what else we'd like to see from the society, assuming their instructions to Canada Legal to direct all callers to the police turns out to be correct.

I'd like to see unambiguous declarations in upcoming Watchtowers--a public admission of guilt, and clear instructions to the R&F regarding contacting the authorities, so no future crackpot elders could pressure them into silence.

In an effort to help out the boys in writing, I've written the first few paragraphs and questions for them:

___ 15, 2002 Watchtower

The Pedophile Issue: We F****d up!

1. Because the Governing Body is a bunch of out-of-touch hardasses with little concern for the rank and file publishers, we have in the past instructed elders to exert both overt and covert pressure on victims of child sexual abuse to remain quiet. The Governing Body is very sorry for this selfish and reprehensible conduct, and it will no longer be tolerated. We wish to assure parents that not only MAY you go to the authorities if your child tells you that he or she has been abused, but you SHOULD go to the authorities. There are no exceptions, and no verbal message from elders or travelling overseers should supersede these clear instructions to go to the authorities. We're sure that most of our local elders mean well, but let's face it, they're untrained. This is your child, let the professionals handle it!

2. Some victims of abuse have even been further traumatized by being disfellowshipped for "slander" when they were, in fact, only trying to protect other members of the congregation by applying the scriptural council at (whatever the hell the scripture is) to not cover over another's sin.

3. This was a gross failing by the Governing Body, and a personal failing by local elders who allowed common sense to be overridden by a weak desire to 'tow the company line'. Any such victims and/or their familes that have been additionally victimized in this heinous and cowardly way should contact the Governing Body. The Governing Body will personally apologize to each and every victim, and will instruct Branch Overseers, Travelling Overseers, and local elders to likewise apologize and express the GB's intent to make it up to the victim in any way the victim sees fit--including reinstatement, providing help to the civil authorities in bringing abusers to justice, and monetary compensation. Any publishers who scoffed at the victim's claims, called them "whore", or treated them like garbage should crawl on their hands and knees to ask forgiveness.

4. If anyone approaches an elder with accusations of abuse, and that jackass elder even hints that you should not go to the police (e.g. with some lame song and dance about "protecting Jehovah's reputation") Smack the hell out of that guy! He deserves it, and you'll feel better. Trust us; we're God's Mouthpiece!

[Questions at the bottom of the page]
    1 (a) Because the Governing Body is a bunch of out-of-touch hardasses with little concern for the rank and file publisher, how have they handled past cases of child sexual abuse?
    (b) How should all cases be handled from now on, and should there be any exceptions?
    2,3 (a) How have far too many victims been further traumatized by well-meaning but clueless elders and publishers?
    (b) What should the first step be in making amends to these victims?
    4 What would a True Christian's reaction be if a jackass elder tried to in any way discourage them from going to the authorities?

OK maybe I'm reaching a bit, but a guy can dream, can't he?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Sounds like your version of WT = Whack the Tower!!

I can't wait for future "Whack Tower" and "Wake em up" magazine installments.

• teejay
    teejay

>> OK maybe I'm reaching a bit, but a guy can dream, can't he?

Damn, Hmmm! Dude...

When you dream, you don't be messing around, eh?!! You dream extree large.

I liked that fourth paragraph, though. The part about smacking jackass elders? Yeah... I can go w/ that.

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

LMAO@ the review questions :)

Lizard

• SYN
    SYN

As much as I'd like to see an article like this, we all know that we'll see Jaracz prancing about in a pink thong and bunny slippers and a tophat in the dinner hall at breakfast before something like this gets published!

• moman
    moman

Governing Body Responce:

"Why should we give a FLYIN RATS ASS, were old & we have everything we need provided for us pro-bono, so piss-off!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit