HOW MANY WOULD LEAVE?

by disillusioned 2 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

If they weren't to be shunned by family or friends maybe 25% would leave.

75% left during the Rutherford takeover and it only distilled the organization down to the hard core. There would be less money and free labor though if many left.

• done4good
    done4good

Shunning, (and fear of it), keeps people in. Humans are social creatures and shunning is unnatural treatment that people are instinctively fearful of. Many believers that don't fit into the category of "needing" the religion would stop believing if this threat did not exist.

I count those that "need" the religion as those that are dependent on it for career or existential needs.

d4g

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

How real is the threat in YOUR case ? only you can answer, if you know the answer. Many have made the move out,and lost their partner, their kids, and all their social contacts.

The fear of that happening has got to be pretty compulsive, it is, after all, oh so real.

For me, there was simply no choice, it is in my make-up, maybe my DNA, to be a lover of Truth, once I found out the real state of the JW religion, that it was founded on lies, and maintained by lies, I could no longer be a part of it.

I did not know what would happen after that night in 2008 when I walked away, would I lose my love, Mrs Phizzy ? would I lose all my J.W family, including my dear old Mum ?

I walked, and I knew it was the only thing I could do if I wanted to continue to respect myself, and hold my head up. As it happens Mrs Phizzy joined me on the Road to Freedom, and my J.W family still speak with me, if only on family matters. (Mum is still kind of wary, most times).

Anyone who leaves takes the chance I did, or something close to it, but is the alternative, years of unhappily living a Lie, worth it ?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Phuzzy - Anyone who leaves takes the chance I did, or something close to it, but is the alternative, years of unhappily living a Lie, worth it ?

In my case it blew my world apart. The hell I'm living is at least honest and real.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit