Guns. Well said Mr President, if only your countrymen had the same courage to consider changing course.

by nicolaou 75 Replies latest social current

• talesin
    talesin

d4g .... yup, that's all been explained countless times, but national fervor seems to support the old NRA commercial I remember from the late 70s/early 80s. "I'll give up my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead, fingers".

Besides, GUNS don't kill people - PEOPLE kill people! doncha know!

OOPS, little socrates, you cherry-picked that,, tsk tsk ... that is called an 'out of context quote' ---- here's the remainder. (I underlined the part you 'forgot' in your quote.) Assuming you are not being intellectually dishonest - you prolly got so upset that you didn't finish reading the POTUS' statement, right? XD

this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries. It doesn’t happen in other places with this type of freqeuency

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Done4Good

YES someone that understands the second amendment! Yes it was an anti government thing, and I think that is good and important! A major component is to take power from the state and give it to the people.

When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people... there is freedom.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I appreciated the fact that he could take time out of his busy golf schedule to politize the deaths of 9 people
  • done4good
    done4good

little_Socrates - Yes, I do understand the Second Amendment. How do you explain the following:

1. What empirical evidence exists to prove this actually keeps the government in check?

2. If tyranny is the ultimate fate of countries without a similar provision, why do we not see such in other modern democracies?

I think it is time to amend the very old and out of modern context amendment.

d4g

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

"It doesn’t happen in other places with this type of freqeuency"

In my life, I have seen the proliferation of guns greatly increase, but yet at the same time the murder rate has dropped by 50%. So while mass murders maybe more common in the USA than other countries murder in general is becoming much less common. We are on the right track.

Yes I know that he added "this type of frequency" but only to appear to be intellectually honest. I think believes this is a strictly American problem when it isn't.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Done4good... first off you might have personal feelings about the case. But the reach of government was check in the Bundy Ranch episode in Nevada. Had Bundy and his supporters not been armed, the government would have confiscated all of his property. Maybe you believe that would have been a good thing... that is fine. But he stood up for what he thought was his rights and he won!

As to other governments.... First of all the United States has the longest continuous serving democratic government in the world. Other governments might not be at the state in their development that they need to be strongly checked by the people.

How can you look at ANY government and not realize that they ALL have a tendency towards tyranny if the people don't strongly stand up for their rights. The natural action of government is to consolidate power. Power seeks power. It will happen every time.

What made George Washington so special, is not that he won the revolutionary war, it is that he gave up power when his term was done. That is an unnatural thing to do and we should be forever grateful. In the normal course of action government never gives up power.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    Sigh. It's stupid bullsh#t like this that makes it harder to convince my wife that we could be safe living in the U.S. So much for moving back home anytime soon...
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

At least the NRA will be happy if the gun was legally obtained.

Rub a Dub

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates
    Bonsai.... yes we occasionally do have high profile cases like this. Just know that the vast majority of Americans in the vast majority of America are VERY safe. Our overall crime rates compare well with any other developed nation. If you don't live in the inner city and are not associated with gangs... You are safer in the USA than you would be in most of the rest of the world. As a matter of fact our crime rate has dropped in half over the last 30-40 years.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Five assertions in your last five sentences LS; care to provide any evidence to back up even one of them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit