Interview With An Apostate: done4good

by done4good 8 Replies latest jw friends

• done4good
    done4good

Tell us a little about yourself and your family.

Family first started studying with JW around 1977. I was 4 then, and raised pretty much up the religion from that point onward. My father studied, lost interest, but mom picked up where he left off. Simultaneously, my aunt studied with another JW, and dove in head first. I was baptized a JW in 1988. I was very lucky to get an education at a time when it was mostly verboten, (yes, it is again). Married a JW at 22, divorced 10 years later. I left the organization shortly after that breakup. Married now to a wonderful, never been a JW lady. I work as an IT director for a major NY hospital.

Were you a born in or a convert?

Neither. Raised in from 4 y/o.

Are your parents / family JWs?

Mom was, now deceased. Aunts, uncle, sister, and cousin on mom's side are "in".

How many generations have been JWs?

Did you hold any position in the WTS? (MS, Elder etc...)

HA! Could never play the politics there...Figured out when I was 25, and an IT manager with a fortune 100 company, that the politics were something out of a good ol' boy's network out of small town USA. Made the corporate world seem fair and equitable by comparison.

Did you *really* believe in the bible, in spirits (angels, demons)?

Yep. Not anymore.

Did you get baptised? When and why?

Yes. September, 1988. I wanted off the fence. It hurt.

(I also fell hard for a girl, that wouldn't give me chance without it).

What was the initial trigger that made you start questioning things?

See my comment above about the good ol' boy's network in the KH. That was the beginning of the end. It took another 8 years.

Where did you find information? Internet sites? Books?

I began to research only after I left. The first site I researched was Timothy Campbell's Beyond Jehovah's Witnesses, in 2006.

How difficult or painful was the process of leaving?

Easy to leave when I was ready. Just walked away. The tough part came years later, when shunned by a dear old friend. Hurt like nothing I experienced, and still very damaged by it.

Was it a big dramatic exit or a careful quiet fade?

Just walked away.

Did you convince anyone else to leave with you?

Nope.

How were your family relations affected by your decision?

Lost all JW family.

Were you or are you still being shunned by those who didn't leave?

Yes. All but one friend. The brother of the friend mentioned above.

How long have you now been out?

Almost 10 years.

Was there anything you looked forward to doing when you left?

Being me.

What are you most proud of achieving since you left?

Being me.

Is there anything you miss about life in the congregation?

No.

Red pill or blue pill? Do you regret waking up to reality at all?

Red pill ALL THE WAY.

Did you become an atheist or transfer your faith elsewhere?

I took a while, but atheist after about 5.5 years out.

How do you now feel about religion in general?

The world needs to be rid of it.

Do you feel any guilt celebrating xmas or birthdays or doing any other JW "no-no"s?

Hell no!

Have you attended any face-to-face meetups of ex-JWs?

Yes.

Describe your circle of friends - mostly other ex-JWs or regular people?

Regular people. I have one ex-JW friend, (his new wife is an ex too), but that is it.

Do you tell people about your JW past?

If there is reason to.

Do you feel animosity or pity toward current JWs?

Nothing but pity and sadness for the good ones. The assholes know who they are.

How do you respond to witnesses when they call at your door?

Don't answer.

Storm the barricades or tend to the wounded? (do you favor activism or support)

Support. People will research on their own when ready.

What do you think is the most effective approach to reaching people still in?

See above.

Do you think the WTS can or should be destroyed, will continue on as-is or grow / change?

Social evolution will cause its demise, or change it beyond recognition.

How has your life been impacted by your JW past?

One tenacious SOB.

Are there things in your life you blame the WTS for?

Losing one of my dearest friends. FU GB!

JW upbringing - a protection or a curse?

Neither.

How do you fill your time now it's not filled with meetings and field service?

Career, continuing education, working on second career to start teaching. Yard work, working on house, hobbies, music, ANYTHING ELSE!

Do you still have an interest in JW beliefs and doctrines?

Just to get loved ones out.

How much of your time is still spent on JW related matters?

Not much. Just some socializing here.

What do you think of the ex-JW community?

Awesome people!

Do you see yourself still being associated with the ex-JW community in 5 or 10 years time?

At some level, yes.

Do you fear the future?

Not at all.

What advice would you give to anyone starting the journey of leaving the WTS?

Your life will never be better...Go for it.

What would you change in your life if you could go back and talk to yourself?

Would have had doctorate and became a physicist.

Do you have any regrets about life since you left?

No. Life is what we make of it.

Can we read your life-story anywhere? (links to online or books)

Bits and pieces are here, Strathmore's Who's Who, some corporate stuff from years past, etc.

Want to share your own story? Please use the Interview with an Apostate: Template and post it in the Personal Experiences & Reunions section with the title "Interview with an Apostate: [your name or alias]"

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks D4G, I am sure your experience is similar to many of us, but will encourage JW's reading this, as you truly say, "....go for it !"

Everything to gain, and nothing of value to lose by leaving the JW prison.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    Thanks. How did you learn IT? From college? From reading?
  • done4good
    done4good

Magnum -

I went for my undergrad BS in Telecommunications Management back in the early '90s. I had a couple of good JW friends, (both are mentioned above), that directed me towards college, despite the fact it was largely frowned upon then, (this was before the 1992 toned down stance on higher ed). They were/are truly exceptional people, and I am forever grateful for their assistance. Both are smart enough to know the current higher ed bashing by the organization is incredibly stupid. Unfortunately, one of them is the person who shunned me, once she learned I D/A'd several years ago.

I am working on an M.Eng currently that I will finish this semester. I still do plan to work on a doctorate, just in either electrical engineering or computer science.

d4g

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo
    Thank you, really interesting. You're too successful in real life to ever have been part of the 'old boy' hierarchy anyway!
  • Simon
    Simon
    What are you most proud of achieving since you left?
    Being me.

Great answer :thumbs_up:

• done4good
    done4good

Simon-

Thanks.

d4g

• Nex2go
    Nex2go
    What was the one single thing in the end, that made you walk?
  • done4good
    done4good

Nex2go - What was the one single thing in the end, that made you walk?

I stated this elsewhere recently, but it came down to an epiphany I had about 6 months prior. The consequences of divorce, (or other highly stressful situations), often force someone to rethink their position on many things, and I was no exception. I figured out that leaving the ex was the best thing that could ever happen to me, and that flew in the face of everything I was taught to believe about marriage, divorce, sex, etc. I could never look at my belief system the same way again, even though I tried to.

The judicial committee that followed that breakup only served to further demonstrate the whole thing was all smoke and mirrors. The elders did not care one bit about either my "readjustment" or "keeping the congregation clean". I saw very clearly, (since the blinders were at least partly removed at this time), that the entire judicial process was all about two things. The first of which is making sure I was obedient. JCs test for this by saying the most ridiculous things and expecting you to agree. Any questioning of this, (even sincere inquiry), is considered "not respecting the arrangement", and will result in DF. You are expected to say "YES" to everything, no matter how stupid it is. The second thing JCs concern themselves with is all about keeping up the appearance of a "clean" congregation. That is why they don't give public reproof when no one knows about the "wrongdoing". They would much rather do that, but if anyone actually knows about it, they have to make the organization look good, (by some demonstration that the matter was "handled"), so they make it public.

I left that JC knowing it was all bullshit. It took me a few months to process that whole mind fuck and find my way to the exit door.

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit