IS it just me or....?

by dustrabbit 9 Replies latest jw friends

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Is it just me or....

1. Do the vast majority of the "good" females in the JW publications look like they stepped out of the Martha Stewart-wannabe/Betty Crocker/Beaver's Mom mold? And the bad "girls" look like some cheesy bad girl from a chessy 80s movie?

2. Did I see a lack of interracial couples/families in the JW pubs? I can't remember seeing any in the mags when I was growing up. I stopped looking at the mag in 1990 and i didn't pick an Awake! up again until 1997 when I was waiting at the bus stop. Lo and Behold: A white guy and Asian girl...Now isn't that playing along some racial-sexual stereotypes?

(In fact: maybe this is why many kids in the KH, when I was growing up, would challenge me about my mother: "Is she really your mother? Are you sure she isn't your step-mother? She doesn't look like she could be your mother.")

3. Do Mormons and JWs have a lot in common when it comes to organization/heirachy and when the layperson pissies them off?

4. Does the Watchtower logo looks suspiciously like a chess piece...hmm, does that mean the dubs are pawns?

5. Fill in your favorite "is it just me or.." question

Edited by - dustrabbit on 9 July 2002 1:47:24

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

::::::::::1. Do the vast majority of the "good" females in the JW publications look like they stepped out of the Martha Stewart-wannabe/Betty Crocker/Beaver's Mom mold?

The "good" females have the same look as the women in old Chinese posters round the time of the cultural revolution. Same kind of propaganda I guess.

Why are you in China anyhoo?

Marilyn

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Marilyn: Hmm, I have really seen thos eposters...believe it or not...

I'm in guangzhou (Cantonese land)...but I'm about to jump back to america on the 19th...

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

Wow - you're right! I've never seen interracial couples in the JW literature and I always used to laugh at how funny the "bad" girls looked. After all, if the bad girls were sharp dressers, we might want to be like them!

Many years ago I read a book about a woman who "escaped" from the Mormons. I was still a JW at the time and I remember being shocked at how my life seemed to be the same as hers.

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

ZenPunk Exactly, my point. I grew not seeing something the literature that reflect my daily life. Okay, how many of you have seen hispanic/white couples at the KH or the conventions, but have never seen one in a DUB publication?
    It's as if there's a secret message there in the pubs: The interracial harmony is not extended to married/dating couples. The romantic couples don't exist...or at least that's how it appeared to me until the abovementioned Awake I saw at the bus stop in 1997. I remembered thinking, "How ironic." B/c in Utah I saw a lot of Mormon white guys with Asian wives/gfs b/c they thought Asian women exemplified what was a good Christian wife. (Sumissive? Stay at home and have the kids? I'll beat her and she'll take it?) Hmmm....so I wasn't really surprised when I the couple in the magazine...just religius cult adopting more racial-sexual stereotypes. Actually, almost all the Mormon White guys I knew back in Utah that were hooked up with Asian women, were the kind of white guys white women pushed off to the side.

just my .02 dollars.

the dustrabbit

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Hi dustrabbit!

Is it just me or is the WTS idea of "bad teens" always a photo of some overdone punk rockers?

That is so weird but true! Those publications are too funny.

By the way welcome back to the US! Hope you have a safe trip home.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Maybe since I am a bad girl I always found the "bad boys" alluring...oh yeah baby, with their short hair all messed up, the sunglasses on, an un-lit cig in their hand,and oh yeah, those flannel shirts still make me moist...RROW RRROW!

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Joannadandy: You better watch it. I just might on a lark post a pix of me in that stance.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

ohhh dust--don't tease me!

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

hell, I guess I just made tease status....I'm a studly nerd now, i guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit