Had JW's at my door on Saturday

by Brymichmom 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

Well I rarely get JW's at my door at all. But today, I had them in my neighborhood and boy, oh boy, what an experience! It was two youngish, 20-something females.

The first thing I did before she could go off into any pre-rehearsed speech about "world conditions", was to let them know that I knew who they were. I said, "Yes, I know who you are. You are Jehovah's Witnesses, and I already know quite a bit about your organization because my parents joined your organization some "years" ago. I'll have to say, that I can't agree with a lot of your teachings. One of the things that bothers me is that I found out recently that the Watchtower was a member of the United Nations for quite a few years as a 'non-governmental organization'. What bothers me about this is that your Watchtower has always said that that the UN is an evil organization and teaches that it is the image of the wild beast in Revelation 13. But yet, the Watchtower had chosen to join them as an NGO. That doesn't make sense and is very inconsistent. Later on I found out that last Fall the WT quietly ended their relationship with the UN. That is very inconsistent."

"The other thing that really bothers me is the whole blood issue. I found out that the reason JW's don't accept blood is because of some scriptures in the Bible that seem to forbid blood. Then I found out that your organization allows you to have certain 'fractions' of blood. Now if blood is just WRONG, then you shouldn't be having any blood at all, and having fractions of blood would be just as wrong."

At this point she tried to stop me and tell me about world conditions and that Bible study was so important. I agreed with her and told her that I was a Christian. I then quoted her from John 6:68 where Peter is saying, "Lord, to whom shall we go?" I went on to explain that what we need to do as individuals is come to the Lord Jesus Christ as it says in this very scripture. I told her all we really need is Christ in our lives, not an organization or any particular church, that it's all about coming to Christ. (as the next verse in 69 says, "Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God") The Watchtower ALWAYS uses this scripture as a ploy to keep their members from leaving. The WT makes them believe that there is no where to go once you leave the WT--does everyone remember that?

Well I did this in front of my husband, my sons, and my ex husband (that's another story) happened to be there at the time. I was so busy talking to these gals that I hadn't really noticed the other girl who was with this JW I had been addressing. My husband said that the other girl's mouth dropped as I said all this stuff.

The thing is, I didn't try to "slam" them with anything. All I tried to do was to plant "seeds" in their mind to get them to think. I am not angry with the average "rank and file" JW. I would love to see them come out of this dastardly organization. I looked at these girls and possibly thought that they could have been "silent lambs" who had been abused in the past. I don't know anything about them, but maybe someday, they will think about what I have said and start to think outside the perimeters that the WT has drawn for them.

Cynthia

• Robdar
    Robdar

Well done, Cynthia.

Robyn

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Very nice reply. Keep it up, especially the point about the blood.

As JW's, we have always gone door to door trying to convert people, yet I can credit a "householder" with planting some of the earliest seeds of my deconversion.

It dates back to the early 80s, when a university student debated the generation issue with me. Many times over the years, I would think back to this call and remember some of the good points that he made. For most JW's, this is the only time when they will ever encounter any truly compelling opposing viewpoints.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I liked what you said to them about the UN. I have wondered how to bring up the topic without sounding "apostate". Now I have an idea.

The other day I mentioned to a friend the issues I have regarding the blood doctrine. When I said to her, "Why is it that a mother can carry a baby for nine months and by God's design transfuse blood via the umbilical chord to sustain its life ... yet once the baby is born she could not give it her own blood to sustain its life should it need it. But she could give it blood via her breastmilk."

Boy you shoulda seen the look on her face!!! She just sat there. After a minute she said, "Well, I think that as long as the blood continues to flow through a tube we can receive our own blood...."

So I just smiled and said, "And you can also receive fractions and fractions of REAL blood that has been STORED and not poured out on the ground! Yes REAL BLOOD!!! REALLLLL BLOOOOOOD! And you can receive blood 'substitutes' made from cow's blood but not made from man's blood."

Well, I got the effect I desired because she said, "You always get me thinking. I need to do research."

So I said, "Yes YOU DO. You need to be given FULL DISCLOSURE of the true facts. The facts that THEY ARE BANKING that you will never research. I'm so glad you are OPEN MINDED enough to read ALL of the available information." (After all, how could she refuse to read it after I payed her that compliment??? lol)

So I gave her the ammo. She took that along with the COC book. We shall see what happens from here.

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

Excellent point...

The other day I mentioned to a friend the issues I have regarding the blood doctrine. When I said to her, "Why is it that a mother can carry a baby for nine months and by God's design transfuse blood via the umbilical chord to sustain its life ... yet once the baby is born she could not give it her own blood to sustain its life should it need it. But she could give it blood via her breastmilk."

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

I was thinking about creating some fun weekend entertainment. Some how I have to get some JW's to come over. I would invite them in to talk. Then about 5 minutes later the Mormons I invited would show up! Then we could all sit down and have fun!! I wonder who would leave first??? I think they would have a lot in common. -no crosses- -biblical people were angels- -dissfellowship- -no divorce- 'moral purity' -

The other day I asked my JW buddy about why JW's hate crosses and he gave me the exact response that my Mormon friend gave me!! Maybe they are cousin cults????

• Sabine
    Sabine

Very well done, I also liked your approach. I have decided to outright lie and act like I was never a witness and just state a friend of mine left the jws for various reasons...then go into pretty much your same senario...I guess it's not a lie, my husband is my best friend.

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

Sabine, I try not to just tell them a bold faced lie. Actually I've been an XJW for a lot longer than I was in for. I was only "in" for 8 years and I've been out for 22 years. But I always use the "relatives" approach when speaking to them. So of course, if you in anyway let them know that you are an "XJW", then that will send them running with their tails between their legs. It's sad, but because they are so programmed to respond negatively to any hint of "apostasy" we have to hide to fact that we were once JW's. I don't see any other way of dealing with them.

Cynthia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit