A Contradictory Statement?

by VioletAnai 3 Replies latest jw friends

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

The Knowledge that Leads to Everlasting Life:

Page 27 Paragraph 2 states:

All who want God's favour must learn to call upon his name in faith. The bible promises: "Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah WILL be saved" (Romans 10:13). Yes, the name Jehovah has rich meaning. Calling upon Jehovah as your God and Deliverer CAN lead you to endless happiness.

So what is it: Call on Jah in faith and you WILL be saved or call on Jehovah in faith and you COULD have a chance????

• Solace
    Solace

I believe calling upon "his name" to mean his Name or Reputation. You know, like what he is or stands for. I dont believe it to mean his "name" like joe, tim, or john. I believe there is a much deeper meaning to that verse, especially since Jesus himself never addressed God as "Jehovah" etc. He respectfully addressed him as "Father".

In my dictionary, the word "name" reads,

1. Word by which a person is known.

2. Distinguished reputation

3. Nominate or appoint

I really dont believe God would save one person above someone else because of how his "actual name" was worded. I just cant imagine God being that shallow.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi-

I think you have a point there. For JWs, Jesus' work means that people have the opportunity to work for their own salvation.

Jeff S.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Violet,

What they mean is that you will be saved if you can subject 'meekly' to the Organization.

As I am sure that you are beggining to discover in your search for truth, the WTS envisions no ability for anyone who operates outside of its Organization to be able to worship God succesfully.

In their view, if you truly love God, you will be attracted to worship within the WTS and if you do not worship within the WTS you cannot love God. This is neither scriptually evidenced nor morally sustainable, and as a peice of logical argument it founders within the first few seconds.

Best regards - HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit