McKinney Texas pool party?

by Marvin Shilmer 305 Replies latest social current

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    One thing that struck me on a program about Baltimore recently was how many people spent their time on utterly useless activities like playing basketball.

Playing basketball is one of the most useful things I see in poor communities local to me. Children who grow up engaging this sport (or others like it) are learning several excellent life habits. They're cultivating a desire for a rigorous form of exercise that will serve their health well in later years. They're learning social interactions. They're learning that hard work and smarts pay off (it takes more than luck to compete in any sport like this). Most kids I know who play basketball have no dream of the NBA. They're just looking for fun with fun people, and along the way they're developing some decent life lessons and habits.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark
    Lets watch as he tries to explain his way out of this one.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm late to this discussion but have been reading it with interest.

I admit I'm ignorant of the full facts of what happened re the Texas pool party.

So glad I don't live there! Seems such a nasty Orwellian, totalitarian police state - this isn't the first time this has been said on this thread. Yes, out-of-control police officers deserve to be punished. But can we please stop referring to the USA as a police state? Prime examples of real-life police states are North Korea and Saudi Arabia.

Despite all the country's faults, US citizens enjoy freedoms that people in other countries can only dream about.

Things usually go well for them if they obey the law.

People who want to get ahead in life often see their hard work rewarded.

I think some posters need to get a sense of perspective.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Even when the media was playing up the "out of control cop" angle it seemed obvious to me that the teens involved were not the sweet little angels they purported themselves to be. There were reports of excessively loud music and breaking the rules of the pool. But that is not at all uncommon, unless teens are monitored by their parents they will do such things. I don't understand why the adult who was there and responsible did not rein things in before it got out of control. The mother was saying she was there, why didn't they talk to her, but where was she that she didn't know there was a problem?

The kids were brats. That being said, none of that was an excuse for a cop to pull a weapon, otherwise his fellow cops would not have stepped in to make him put it away. I wonder what would have happened if they had not. Do young people deserve to be shot for not instantly obeying the commands of a police officer? His behavior was horrible, screaming obscenities is not going to help you get get control of the situation, he was obviously overwhelmed and not thinking clearly, which is not a good thing in a police officer. It's just sad that people like him are making it harder for the good cops out there who no doubt can deal with rowdy crowds in an appropriate way.

Also, the United States is not a police state, good grief, don't believe everything you see on the telly.

And what is wrong with young men playing basketball? It's good exercise. I think most of them are aware they are not going to play in the NBA as 98%are probably not tall enough, never mind being exceptional athletes.

• Billyblobber
    Billyblobber

Basketball and other team sports are good for mental development.

I mean, it's like saying people in poor African or Latin countries should stop playing soccer. Let's take one of the few positive things they have in their life away because they should be spending 100% of the time they have trying (and mostly failing) to escape their hellhole.

• Simon
    Simon
    But can we please stop referring to the USA as a police state? Prime examples of real-life police states are North Korea and Saudi Arabia.

I agree. The definition of "Police State" is a stretch.

Let's not forget that once again, we're talking about people who have been committing crime and / or refusing to comply with clear, simple and reasonable requests.

From that people jump to trying to paint a picture of cops driving round randomly gunning people down.

The kids were brats. That being said, none of that was an excuse for a cop to pull a weapon, otherwise his fellow cops would not have stepped in to make him put it away. I wonder what would have happened if they had not. Do young people deserve to be shot for not instantly obeying the commands of a police officer?

He didn't shoot anyone. If you look at some of the links posted earlier it does appear to be in response to someone making threatening poses.

The cop has every right to pull his weapon if he perceives a threat. His colleagues stepped in because obviously they could see things from a different angle like we do on the video. People are aware that the cop doesn't see what we all see ... right?

And what is wrong with young men playing basketball?

There is nothing inherently wrong with basketball ... other than it's boring as hell like most north american sports :) and yes, getting exercise is good.

It just seems to be a waste that people grow up without any skills or any personal drive to acquire the ability to do something beyond throw a ball around. It's not like it's some secret that having any form of skill makes you more employable is it?

Can no one learn how to fix a fence or do something constructive? There has to be more to life than sport. Yes, it's an escape but only a very temporary one for most people. A true escape takes a bit more effort and commitment than playing the game you like to play.

• violias
    violias

Here is Mark Levin , talk show host. FM 820 Dallas Texas He is interesting to listen to and I agree, we have all been Had here in McKinney and maybe come election time they will remove the chief and mayor. They are afraid of the race baiters and fear they will end up like Baltimore.

http://therightscoop.com/mark-levin-blasts-mckinney-police-chief-for-throwing-officer-over-the-cliff/#ixzz3ceFSRtA5

• scary21
    scary21

Seems like I agree with Simon on these kind of issues. That being said, has anyone heard about the high school principal from Miami being fired because of his post on Facebook ? This is just plain crazy.......IMO

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Can no one learn how to fix a fence or do something constructive? There has to be more to life than sport. Yes, it's an escape but only a very temporary one for most people. A true escape takes a bit more effort and commitment than playing the game you like to play.

From my experience, you start with what draws the target audience and you grow from there. It just happens to be the case that basketball is a good draw for a lot of kids in poor communities. But so is bicycle riding, tennis, baseball, football and other activities (like swimming at a pool!!!). But getting kids' time and attention is, I agree, just a beginning. From that other life lessons and habits can be encouraged through leadership, including the value of education and civic responsibility. But a lot of kids living in poverty have trouble seeing a way out of the circumstances they hear adults talking about so they end up wasting away thinking there is no way.

Oddly enough, of the many folks I've talked to about finding success in life though raised in poverty, quite a few have said when they were growing up they didn't know they were poor. They didn't feel held back by poverty because they never realized they were living in poverty. In each instance of this the parents were responsible for not teaching their kids that they lived in poverty. I found this a novel idea and it really resonated with me. I recall instances of watching our dogs play under the house when I was laying in bed at night looking through cracks in the floorboards. It never occurred to me that we were poor. I knew a lot of kids we went to school with seemed rich by comparison, but otherwise I thought most everyone else had big cracks in their floorboards just like we did. I thought we were normal!

• Billyblobber
    Billyblobber
    Mark Levin - the same guy that said Obama trashes Christians because he's trying to convert people to the Muslim faith, that Christians are persecuted in this country and faith is a good reason to select a leader, among other things...why would anyone care about his opinion on anything?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit