Lorenz Reibling gives interview about real estate

by OrphanCrow 162 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

wow - what happened to 'we must be no part of the world?'

so was this cauterizing knife supposed to cut down on bleeding? but did witnesses know that they would have to lose major healthy organs in the process of establishing its effectiveness for humans? where is the respect for life in that?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Ruby: so was this cauterizing knife supposed to cut down on bleeding? but did witnesses know that they would have to lose major healthy organs in the process of establishing its effectiveness for humans? where is the respect for life in that?

Yes, the cauterizing knife was very effective for reducing bleeding in surgery. There are many such knives on the market today and they are frequently used in surgical practice. Where a cauterizing knife was first used. back in the 1920s, I believe, was in veterinary medicine and in animal research labs. I am not sure if there was such a knife used anywhere for human surgical methods when Lapin started using it on JWs, but many sources claim that he was the first to use that particular knife on human subjects.

The issue with the Lapin knife is that it wasn't approved for human use - in the book No Man's Blood, while he was still in New York, he was told that he couldn't use it on humans. From reading the book, I understood that he just went ahead and used it for JW surgeries once he was out in California.

I don't know if I read a different book than the following person did, but this following book review on No Man's Blood has a different take on what happened. This reader claims that he sought approval first. Well that is only mentioned once in the book - he was denied approval when he was still in New York but when he went to California, he just started using the cauterizing knife. The reader obviously had a biased interpretation of the contents in the book because it was plain from reading it that Lapin was fired from hospitals for doing unnecessary surgeries, not because he wouldn't use blood on JWs. That was never the reason.

http://www.amazon.ca/No-Mans-Blood-Gene-Church/dp/0866661557

Doctor Lapin also became the first surgeon to use an electric knife on his patients. Here is how that happened. On week-ends he used to keep in practice by operating on animals, where he could use an electric knife. He noticed that when he made incisions using it that there was hardly any blood loss, because the cut was so smooth that cauterization immediately took place whereas if he had used just a regular scapel there is a lot of blood loss. He went around and around with the powers that be and finally was allowed to use an electric knife on his human patients. Also when he first started doing bloodless surgeries he was fired from several hospitals because he wouldn't use blood on his Jehovah's Witness patients.

Lapin claimed that he modified the knife, adding his own innovations to it - a built-in light and a suction tip, and that the knife he used was dubbed "Lapin True Cut". I have searched the patent data bases for any mention of the Lapin knife and only found one reference to a "Lapin Clear Cut" knife, but it didn't have a patent reference for it. However I did find an FDA application for approval of a Lapin Clear Cut in 1981 that was filed by ProMed. Corp. (I checked the European patent database, too, just in case. That is where some of the Haemonetics patents hide out)

A little more searching turned up a name of the inventor for the Lapin Clear Cut Electro-Surgical Device - Bill Walker. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jlp78668

Tracking Walker down reveals that he is the founder and chief technology officer for Hemosonics.

http://hemosonics.com/about-us/fo/

Transforming The Management Of Critical Bleeding and Clotting
    Our goal is to improve outcomes and reduce healthcare costs by enabling more targeted transfusion of blood products.
    We seek to transform the way clinicians manage coagulation dysfunctions by providing comprehensive, timely information on coagulation status at the point of care. We are developing a next-generation point-of-care diagnostic platform that provides actionable information to guide the management of critical bleeding. This enables clinicians to choose the right treatment in the right time frame, dramatically improving outcomes. Our innovative in vitro diagnostic platform characterizes hemostasis – the balance between bleeding and clotting ­– in a variety of acute care clinical settings.

The management team of Hemosonics deserves a closer look. Maybe someone can take a look at the names and photos associated with this company and see if they recognize any JWs in the management tree.

http://hemosonics.com/about-us/board-of-managers/

I am suspicious of a couple of them. One of the fellows on the Board of Managers, Mark Wheeler, founded WT Investment Advisors LP in 2003. I sure would like to know what WT Investment Advisors is all about.

Not surprisingly, the Society for the Advancement of Blood Management is referenced on one of the pages of the Hemosonics site. http://hemosonics.com/publications/

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

In my last post I connected William Walker from Hemosonics with Bill Walker, the supposed inventor of the Lapin Clear Cut knife. However, upon further reflection, I believe that Wm. Walker is far too young to be the same person. But I do suspect he is related to him. I haven't had time to confirm that.

Biil: That JW Insurance Co I think was called "New World Life" or something like that, in-laws had it.
    Interesting I have a friend who was raised a JW but realized it was not for him, he is a ER doctor. He said all ER Rooms have the JW Blood book but not for the purpose of educating the doctors but to educate the JW patients as to their own churchs list to what is acceptable blood parts. Prior to the book the JW patients were ignorant of what was approved and what was not, hence the whole ER Room procedure was halted and precious time was lost as the patient had to go and consult their church elders. So the book has been well received as to its ability to stop vast amounts of time being tied up from getting elders permission for ER procedures.

There are lots of health care insurance companies that are JW owned and operated now. I have run into several in my research. I haven't bothered to keep track of them.

The JW Blood Book that is given to doctors to use has more to do with ethical considerations than anything else. At one time, when a JW was confronted with surgery, all that happened was they signed a form giving the hospital permission to use whatever alternative procedures were necessary - as long as blood wasn't used. I think that this created an ethical issue that was eventually resolved with the HLC designing a book that laid out the procedures and drugs that are being used for medical studies. When the JW signs permission for these different drugs, etc, it eliminates the problems of informed consent for clinical trials, etc.

The Jehovah's Witness population has been targeted for many unapproved drugs and procedures and Ron Lapin was one of the doctors who took advantage of the JWs willingness to act as guinea pigs. He was involved in getting Fluosol DA-20 into the American market through the use of JWs as test subjects.

The book, No Man's Blood, claims that Lapin was contacted by a Japanese doctor to trial Fluosol DA-20 on Jehovah's Witnesses.

He was looking forward to his meeting. He hadn’t seen Dr. Naito since they’d met quite by accident at a medical conference in Washington, D.C., the year before. They had followed each other’s careers and corresponded ever since.
    Naito was the president of the Green Cross Pharmaceutical Company of Osaka, Japan. His staff nicknamed him “the steam locomotive,” a term befitting his workaholic behavior and uncanny ability to cut through red tape. His company was in the business of developing new medicines and was the eighth largest and fastest growing firm in Japan. The medicine that held Lapin’s particular interest was Fluosol-DA, a synthetic blood substitute.
    Fluosol-DA 20 % is a perfluorocarbon chemical compound derived from the petroleum distillate process and is closely related to Teflon. It has the remarkable ability of transporting oxygen to the body tissues, unlike many of the blood substitutes used by doctors today. This miracle fluid is only one one-thousandth the size of hemoglobin, allowing Fluosol to penetrate into areas where blood cells would be too large to enter. Fluosol also carries three to six times more oxygen than an equivalent amount of red cells.
    Fluorocarbons were originally developed during World War II to separate uranium isotopes necessary for atomic bombs. In the mid-60s, American researchers Drs. Clark, Sloviter, and Geyer demonstrated that perfluorochemicals provide sufficient CO2 to maintain life in animals and that they could be emulsified. This generated the idea that fluorocarbons might be developed as an effective blood substitute due to their superior oxygen-carrying qualities.
    In Japan, Dr. Ryoichi Naito and his team of research scientists and clinicians developed Fluosol. Dr. Naito’s research began in 1967. Tests on animals were conducted for ten years in both Japan and the United States. In the fall of 1978, German researchers used the red cell replacement to maintain biological function for as long as twenty-four hours in seven brain-dead accident victims.
    Dr. Naito, a man in his seventies, was considered the leader in the development of Fluosol. In February, 1979, he and nine associates were injected with Fluosol to prove its human safety. Dr. Naito believed that a medical researcher should demonstrate confidence in his invention by first trying it personally. But without extensive research and testing, the FDA wouldn’t authorize the use of Fluosol in the United States. It bothered Lapin considerably that their testing processes were so slow. He, more than most, knew that bureaucratic resistance to change held back progress.

Lapin met with Dr. Naito and Dr. Drees:

Naito introduced Lapin to Dr. Tom Drees. Drees was president of the Alpha Corporation, a subsidiary of the Green Cross Company. Lapin and Drees were destined to become good friends while working closely together for the international acceptance of Fluosol.

This is what was apparently said at the meeting between Dr. Drees, Dr. Naito and Ron Lapin:

Naito leaned back in his chair and crossed his legs. “We’ve been keeping up with you, Dr. Lapin, and your remarkable successes with the Witnesses.” Lapin shrugged and nodded a modest acknowledgment. Naito continued, “Our board has been continually impressed with the operations you’ve performed without transfusions.”
    “You came to give me an award?” Lapin quipped.
    “You don’t need any more accolades, do you?”
    “You know what I need.”
    And Naito did. “We want to talk to you about the possibility of a cooperative effort with you and your team. We would be honored if you would be the first in the country to actually use Fluosol on one of your patients.”
    Lapin beamed. “You would be honored… I’m the one who’d be honored,” he said excitedly.
    “You’ve done what now… twenty-eight hundred operations without using blood?”
    Lapin was impressed. “You do your homework,” he said.
    “That’s our business, research and development.”
    “Did you get it approved by the FDA?”
    “Not so far, but our sources in Washington tell us they may approve a research protocol for its use only on Jehovah’s Witnesses. This is where you and your patients become very important to the project.”
    Lapin was so pleased with the news he was speechless. Naito continued, “The Witnesses, with their religious conviction against taking blood transfusions, make ideal test subjects.”
    “Are you concerned about the Red Cross trying to stop this project?” Lapin asked.
    “No,” replied Naito. “Fluosol is too good a substance to be stopped by them or any other group of narrow-minded people.”
    And that is what happened. Fluosol DA-20 was introduced in the States through the FDA's "compassionate use" program and it was used exclusively on JWs to begin with. Biotechnology of Blood
    In the USA, Fluosol DA-20 was tested first on a humanitarian protocol basis where each patient required FDA approval. After six patients received Fluosol DA-20, a medical use protocol was established with strict criteria for patient enrollment. the objectives of this study were to determine clinical safety, hemodynamic, and oxygen transport profiles of Fluosol DA-20. In contrast to earlier reports, fully one-third of the patients experienced an acute reaction to infusion of a 0.5-ml test dose of Fluosol DA-20 which was controlled by treatment with corticosteriods.
    Fluosol DA 20% was withdrawn in 1994:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_substitute
    The first approved oxygen-carrying blood substitute was a perfluorocarbon-based product called Fluosol-DA-20, manufactured by Green Cross of Japan. It was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1989. Because of limited success, complexity of use and side effects, it was withdrawn in 1994. However, Fluosol-DA remains the only oxygen therapeutic ever fully approved by the FDA.
    When a JW signs consent for blood fractions or blood substitutes, what they are actually doing is enrolling in medical studies. The JW "blood book" is a recruitment tool for the HLC so that they can enroll JW patients into the trials and studies that they are recruiting for. Or, the drug is an experimental drug that requires FDA compassionate approval - a process that propels many drugs to market that don't get approval for clinical trials. And it is all done under the guise of "helping these poor JWs who would die otherwise".

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter
    Wow Orphan Crow...thanks for the walk down memory lane! I knew Herk Hutchins quite well, and met Ron Lapin numerous times. I believe they were well intentioned, and Ron Lapin was very committed to pursuing the development of bloodless surgery (and his own fame). I believe that a chiropractor, Ron Austin, was also very involved in the bloodless program at the Norwalk hospital. I remember that program was touted as the panacea for JW's, and they lined up to be guinea pigs for experimental procedures and treatments. Strange times indeed...
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456
    thanks orphancrow
  • Bill Covert
    Bill Covert
    Please reread Orphan Crow's post on Lorenz Reibling as being the front man for what Jeff T suspects as inhouse WBTS real estate ventures
  • RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

This is one of the most interesting threads I have read so far. Starting to see a pattern here of how money and human guinea pigs can be manipulated to the benefit of elite JWs.

Cover investment brokers and companies for WTS?

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=212730712&privcapId=212657225

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Mark-Wheeler/1743842828

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/wt-investment-advisors-fund#/entity

another lead?

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/wt-investmen#/entity

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

My admiration for Birdie soars with each fantastic post of hers such as this one.

Thank you Richard for those other links.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Brian Concannon sold off stock 6 months ago then a couple months later in Sept 2015 he stepped down from his position in the company. http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/bioflash/2015/09/concannon-steps-down-as-ceo-of-braintree-based.html

Haemonetics (NYSE: HAE) announced late Tuesday that Brian Concannon, who first joined Haemonetics (NYSE: HAE) in 2003 as president of the company’s patient division, is stepping down “to pursue other opportunities, effective immediately.” He will remain with the company for the next month to ensure a “seamless transition” as Ron Gelbman, a Haemonetics board member for the past 15 years, takes the reins as interim CEO. The company’s board will immediately begin a search for a permanent replacement.

The company was struggling with declining revenues due to the red Cross dropping them as a supplier in early 2014.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/bioflash/2014/03/haemonetics-loses-red-cross-blood-kit-business.html

Another factor sited was the declining use of blood transfusions. So the company almost shut down, but then changed direction and focuses now on R&D and got a tax break from the community. http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20140122/NEWS/140128661/12335/NEWS

An interesting note is this personal information about Brian Concannon's involvement in charity. http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20121028/NEWS/310289845/0/SEARCH/?Start=1

My Brother’s Keeper is an independent Christian charity, with roots in the Catholic service tradition. “We don’t preach. Our actions speak louder than words,” Miller said.
    It’s experiential learning for many affluent kids who never see poverty firsthand, and students are a strong component at My Brother’s Keeper. Brian Concannon, CEO of Haemonetics in Braintree, began as a My Brother’s Keeper volunteer and now chairs its board.
    “I got involved because as a father, I wanted to teach social responsibility to my kids, but the one who got the most education was me,” he said.
  • Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

WT Investment Advisors LP was registered in the Cayman Islands:

Source: http://loophole4all.com/?id_i=33177&id_e=15328&company=WT+INVESTMENT+ADVISORS+L.P.

This document CAYMAN ISLANDS GAZETTE, 19 Nov 2012, page 123/124, confirms the Mark Wheeler/New York association:

http://www.gov.ky/portal/pls/portal/docs/1/11525669.PDF

...although it appears to have been wound up in 2012.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit