In the Defense of Janitors.

by BeautifulGarbage 2 Replies latest jw friends

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

The following comments are like many I read on this board when it comes to some of the superior smugness from certain former JWs.

A recent thread started:

"If you have a successful career this will surely take time away from the

meetings. Can you simplify your life?.Perhaps choose a career that does

not take so much time and devotion. Like a janitor? You say you are too good

to be a janitor?..That shows lack of humility..And we know how Jehovah feels about

Pridful people......anyon ever been told this? "

Responses:

So cleaning dirty toilets will save you?

Signed- NOT A JANITOR-lol

I told them that I was raised "poor white trash" and there was no way in hell I was going to live the rest of my life like that. Sad to say though, I did work as a Janitor for an elder. He owned a janitorial company full of JW.

Jehovah would bless him with a mindless job either pushing a broom, pumping gas, or cleaning windows.

While I understand the anger many former JWs have with being discouraged from seeking higher education and how it may affect their life circumstances now. Yet, I getting annoyed with the atmosphere on this forum that menial labor jobs are mindless, less important, or that the people that DO those jobs are stupid, trashy, and on a lower rung in society.

Now, I am absolutely in favor of a college or university degree(s) for those that want it. And I find it appalling that JWs are discouraged from furthering their education so that they spend more time supporting WTS. And also how the unspoken message is This is will make Jehovah happy and theres better chance that I will survive Armageddon. Plus there is the status within the cong itself.

So, heres a little mind exercise for those of you that were able to rise above being a lowly janitor.

Imagine the prospect of having to place your ample (or not so ample) posterior on a filthy public toilet. Im willing to bet that suddenly the job of janitor, and its importance, would become strikingly apparent.

Andee

P.S. No, Im not a janitor, nor am I married to one.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Andee,

That's not the point. The point is, "how many religions ENCOURAGE their young members to take simple menial work to "free up" time so they can sell books for the religion? How many religions have scorned college as "demon-inspired" so their young members will eschew it and sell books for the religion?"

THAT'S the point. I owned window-washing, janitorial and carpet-cleaning businesses when I was a dub. THAT'S what I was "encouraged" to do and virtually ALL of my friends did the same thing. I knew about 100 dubs near my age in the area I was raised and NOT ONE of them went to college. NOT ONE. Some of them were extremely smart, too.

Farkel

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Yes, I know what the point is SUPPOSE to be. However, THAT point seems to get lost, ALOT.

Andee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit