Full Text Newsweek Article "Witness to S...

by Cappuccino OC 4 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

Witness to shame
    Newsweek ; New York; Jun 24, 2002; Julie Scelfo;

Sic:813110Sic:813110
    Volume: 139
    Issue: 25
    Start Page: 81
    ISSN: 00289604
    Subject Terms: Scandals
    Sex crimes
    Religion
    Child abuse & neglect
    Companies: Jehovahs Witnesses Sic: 813110
    Watchtower Bible & Tract Society Sic: 813110

Abstract:
    As Roman Catholic bishops issued a mea culpa last week, Jehovah's Witnesses, a cloistered group of 980,000, moved closer to facing a sex-abuse scandal of their own. In January a woman from Sacramento, Calif., filed a lawsuit charging that church leaders knowingly failed to notify civil authorities that she was raped by a member of her congregation.

Full Text:
    Copyright Newsweek, Incorporated Jun 24, 2002

[Headnote]
    RIPPLE EFFECTS
    Another religion faces a scandal of its own

As Roman Catholic bishops issued a mea culpa last week, Jehovah's Witnesses, a cloistered group of 980,000, moved closer to facing a sex-abuse scandal of their own.

In January a woman from Sacramento, Calif., filed a lawsuit charging that church leaders knowingly failed to notify civil authorities that she was raped by a member of her congregation.

A former church leader in Maryland was indicted in February for sexually assaulting three women who saythey were told by elders not to report the abuse, and were excommunicated when they did.

After additional stories aired recently on TV, a victims' support group run by William H. Bowen was deluged with e - mails and phone calls. "Catholics only protect the priests. Jehovah's Witnesses do it for any member of the church," says Bowen, a former elder from Kentucky.

Sara Poisson says that prior to her husband's conviction for sexually abusing her daughters, church elders told her to "pray more and be a better wife."

Church spokesman J. R. Brown says the group instructs local leaders to notify police when required by law. They also conduct their own investigation: "That consists of going directly to the accused." If someone confesses, says Brown, he will be prohibited from going door-to-door-unless accompanied by another Witness. Brown points out that people who accuse the church are often lapsed Witnesses, and "open prey" for exploiters. But victims like Poisson's daughter, Heather Berry, 20, say it's the church that does the exploiting. "They're letting the kids down. I don't think there's anything Christian about allowing abuse to continue." [Photograph]
    Caption: FAITH: These magazines by Jehovah's Witnesses are used to help recruit new members

Reproduced with permission of the copyright owner. Further reproduction or distribution is prohibited without permission.

Other formats for this document:
    Citation/AbstractFull text
  • hawkaw
    hawkaw

To see a scan of the article go here

http:// hawkawl.freeservers.com/June_17_2002_Newsweek_page_81_1.jpg

hawk

Edited by - hawkaw on 3 July 2002 15:54:16

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

Hi everyone,

I thought that locally we might be able to help Bill Bowen & all the abused victims by making copies of this Newsweek article, other newspaper articles and the dateline transcript or video and taking them to our local newspapers & requesting an article be written to inform the public of the possibility of "pedophiles" knocking at their doors.

Another idea was to give these copies out to other churches. I'm positive that they would include some type of warnings to their parish, church, congregation, etc. against the JW's.

If the articles are ran in the local newspapers, local radio stations might include these "news" in their daily broadcasts.

In addition after the stories are run, we could write letters to the editor thanking them for their articles. We could then post on this board the results we obtained. Anyone for it?

Just food for thought,

Cappuccino OC

• DB
    DB

This week's Newsweek (July 8) has a letter to the editor that says:

"Thank you for your coverage of the sex-abuse scandal taking place within the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society ("Witness To Shame" June 24). I have been an active Jehovah's Witness for 30 years. I have suffered the overbearing conrol of the elders for many years. While I still belive in the theology, I seriously question the God-anointed authority of the ones in power now. This need to be exposed so that memebers are protected."

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

<I thought that locally we might be able to help Bill Bowen & all the abused victims by making copies of this Newsweek article, other newspaper articles and the dateline transcript or video and taking them to our local newspapers & requesting an article be written to inform the public of the possibility of "pedophiles" knocking at their doors.>

this is an excellent idea. May I add one thing: It should probably be made clear that JW's have a persecution mentality that is documented all the way back to the late 1950's, so care must be exercised to be calm, rational and fact-based in their approach, whatever avenue they choose to disseminate this information.

For example, on Dateline they cut to the chase in the first few seconds and made it clear that the documentary was not about the pedophiles, but about the victims of crime. Period. Although some JW's have managed to twist the persecution of pedophiles to be persecution of JW's, <gag> <choke> the mental gymnastics they must go through to reach this conclusion are obvious enough to anyone who cares to THINK for two SECONDS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit