Apostate "Daily Text"

by GentlyFeral 4 Replies latest jw friends

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

OK, here's a brilliant idea. Select a quotation from a worldly author that has blown your mind or changed your life or at least made you think. The stranger the better, but let's stay more or less comprehensible, ok? If you can write the "commentary" yourself, so much the better, but coherent cut-n-paste from the author is OK. And, of course, include the author's name so we can websurf and raid libraries and stuff.

I've got the first one already cued up.

Every once in a while however I have managed to behave as if I were stupid enough to try to change my life.

I have come to despise the "End of the World" as an ideological icon held over my head by religion, state, & cultural milieu alike, as a reason for doing nothing.

I understand why the religious & political "powers" would want to keep me quaking in my shoes. Since only they offer even a chance of evading ragnarok (thru prayer, thru democracy, thru communism, etc.), I will sheepishly follow their dictates & dare nothing on my own. The case of the enlightened intellectuals, however, seems more puzzling at first. What power do they derive from this telling-the-beads of fear & gloom, sadism & hatred?

Essentially they gain smartness. Any attack on them must appear stupid, since they alone are clear-eyed enough to recognize the truth, they alone daring enough to show it forth in defiance of rude shit-kicking censors & liberal wimps. If I attack them as part of the very problem they claim to be discussing objectively, I will be seen as a bumpkin, a prude, a pollyanna. If I admit my hatred for the artifacts of their perception (books, artworks, performances) then I may be dismissed as merely squeamish (& so of course psychologically repressed), or else at the very least lacking in seriousness.

... I am all too well aware of the "intelligence" which prevents action. I myself possess it in abundance. Every once in a while however I have managed to behave as if I were stupid enough to try to change my life. Sometimes I've used dangerous stupifiants like religion, marijuana, chaos, the love of boys. On a few occasions I have attained some degree of success — & I say this not to boast but rather to bear witness. By overthrowing the inner icons of the End of the World & the Futility of all mundane endeavor, I have (rarely) broken through into a state which (by comparison with all I'd known) appeared to be one of health. The images of death & mutilation which fascinate our artists & intellectuals appear to me — in the remembered light of these experiences — tragically inappropriate to the real potential of existence & of discourse about existence.

Existence itself may be considered an abyss possessed of no meaning. I do not read this as a pessimistic statement. If it be true, then I can see in it nothing else but a declaration of autonomy for my imagination & will — & for the most beautiful act they can conceive with which to bestow meaning upon existence.

Why should I emblemize this freedom with an act such as murder (as did the existentialists) or with any of the ghoulish tastes of the eighties? Death can only kill me once — till then I am free to express & experience (as much as I can) a life & an art of life based on self-valuating "peak experiences," as well as "conviviality" (which also possesses its own reward).

The obsessive replication of Death-imagery (& its reproduction or even commodification) gets in the way of this project just as obstructively as censorship or media-brainwashing. It sets up negative feedback loops — it is bad juju. It helps no one conquer fear of death, but merely inculcates a morbid fear in place of the healthy fear all sentient creatures feel at the smell of their own mortality.

Only the dead are truly smart, truly cool. Nothing touches them. While I live, however, I side with bumbling suffering crooked life, with anger rather than boredom, with sweet lust, hunger & carelessness...against the icy avant-guard & its fashionable premonitions of the sepulcher.

— Hakim Bey, Against the Reproduction of Death

gently feral

• not interested
    not interested

I realy enjoyed thecomments from your text i have a good one but my brain had been damaged from all the sawdust i breath so it will take me some time to put it togather but i will write it soon

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

I'm not going to comment at length on this, but here's the first thing that comes to mind, from "Urban Shaman," by Serge Kahili King, PHD... On the subject of Hawaiian Shamanism, aka "Huna." These are direct quotes, but they are basically just the subject headers; there is a lot of commentary on each one in the book. The "strange" words are Hawaiian.

"The Seven Shaman Principles...

IKE - The World Is What You Think It Is... Corollary: Everything is a dream... All systems are arbitrary...

KALA - There Are No Limits... Corollary: Everything is connected... Anything is possible... Separation is a useful illusion...

MAKIA - Energy Flows Where Attention Goes... Corollary: Attention goes where energy flows... Everything is energy...

MANAWA - Now Is The Moment Of Power... Corollary: Everything is relative... Power increases with sensory attention...

ALOHA - To Love Is To Be Happy With... Corollary: Love increases as judgment decreases... Everything is alive, aware, and responsive...

MANA - All Power Comes From Within... Corollary: Everything has power... Power comes from authority...

PONO - Effectiveness Is The Measure Of Truth... Corollary: There is always another way to do anything."

from Urban Shaman, pp. 53-78

A lot of this seems really trite when you just look at these basic statements, I know. But they are very deep principles, and King goes into them in depth, and shows that they are more or less vital to living an above average life. I might post more on this later on, but for now these are the basics of my Apostate Topic Of Interest

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    any mutt can write
    plays for this london public
    says bill if he puts enough
    murder in them what they want
    is kings talking like kings
    never had sense enough to talk
    and stabbings and stranglings
    and fat men making love
    and clown basting each
    other with clubs and cheap puns
    and off color allusions to all
    the smut of the day oh i know
    what the low brows want
    and i give it to them

Man, didn't I squirm when I read this. I've been doing just this kind of whining for the past...how many years now? It's one thing to hunger for meaningful work, but it's something altogether different -- and crippling -- to spurn your own gifts because you can't do everything. This is when perfectionism becomes a vice. I'm fighting this thing every day. It hamstrings me politically and spiritually all the time.

And didn't this same attitude drive us into the jaydubs, and doesn't it keep some of them there all their lives?

"Wah, f***in' wah," as they say over at Heartless Bitches International.

Here's the source document: pete the parrot and shakespeare, by Don Marquis.

And here's the origin of archy.

gently feral

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

This needs a lot more trimming and translating and cogitation, but I'm trying to swallow the entire book right now; I invite everybody to jump in.

Anyone? Anyone? Leolaia?

"In the following sections I examine the black Christian solution to a millennial problem in Christian praxis: the threefold problem of (1) how to initiate victims in an imitation of Jesus that navigates between the two poles, equally contrary to his persona in the gospels, of docility and enmity [in other words, how to emulate the courage and compassion of Jesus in a culture which only allows you to be an enemy or a slave]; (2) how to induce victimizers to desire their own imitation of God who saves victims, over against their continued practices of victimization; and finally (3) how to provide, for both prospective victims and incipient victimizers, a nonconflictual model for the resolution of rivalry and acquisitive, "mimetic desire' (Giraud). ...

"... I investigate [Martin Luther] King's religious heritage for its power simultaneously to overturn ethnic victimization and to transform the victimizer – for its power to realize what he called 'the beloved community.' [A community in which enemies had become proven and loyal friends would be beloved indeed!]

"... What praxis can ensure a culturewide resolution of mimetic conflict, in which scapegoatingand sacrificial compulsions are defused or transcended? For black Christians before and after King this is an ongoing problem of praxis and survival, not theory alone. It is the problem of curing racist Christianity as a deformed cult: that is, healing Christianity itself of its deformation as a religion of sacralized violence that is contrary to its own gospel origins. This chapter examines the Afro-Christian cure."

Conjuring Culture: Biblical Formations of Black America, Theophus H. Smith

Now, this will probably include the cure of the Bible itself – Judges 19 just ain't in it.

gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit