Best Argument for Atheism - In your view.

by LAWHFol 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Thinking realistically. Being honest with yourself......are in my view reasons to prove magic sky twat doesn't exist.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

To answer the question in the Title:

The best argument for Atheism is the lack of evidence to support the existence of god.

To answer what is the CoC for Theism, that would be Theodicy.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Don't take this the wrong way. There's not a single book that just wins people over to atheism. JW's might believe that Satan inspires some books. It's a path of (for lack of a better term) enlightenment as one observes the comparison between belief and skepticism. For me, being soured by the God I thought I knew was the biggest help toward enlightenment. The Bible is the best book to read to learn about God and how such a maniacal overlord just cannot exist. But some others that help:

"The God Delusion" http://www.amazon.com/The-God-Delusion-Richard-Dawkins/dp/0618918248

Also by Dawkins: "The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451675046/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0618918248&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HV1Z9YQ97KJ1KSRYGD6

Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Spell-Religion-Natural-Phenomenon/dp/0143038338/ref=pd_sim_14_16?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HV1Z9YQ97KJ1KSRYGD6

Really, a great place to start is to follow the links at the bottom of each page of those links for "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" and enjoy your own path of enlightenment and choose what you want to read.

• done4good
    done4good

Second for The God Delusion. I read it in 2006, and it provided a good primer for at least helping me understand what atheism really is. I did not declare myself as such right there and then, however.

Really, it was looking at several lines of evidence, including history, biology, physics, human psychology, etc. that convinced me no omnipotent god existed. This conclusion took about another 5 years to reach.

My point is, a single book will not do it. Those with theistic upbringings, do not easily lose those tendencies toward belief, since certain existential anxieties often need to be dealt with first. This takes time. Those with fundamentalist upbringings, (such as JW), are much more susceptible to such anxieties, as religion and belief in god tend to have addictive properties, that can be difficult to break free from.

d4g

• Scully
    Scully

The Better Angels of Our Nature, by Steven Pinker. It's a very long read, but worthwhile. It disproves religious arguments regarding how the world is getting worse and worse, and instead shows how science has improved the state of the world.

I also agree that God is Not Great and The God Delusion are excellent choices too.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Christopher Hitchens is an excellent source of information on the subject of Religion and belief in god. He has many awesome quotes. Here are a few:

"What is more likely to be the truth? That the laws of nature are suspended or an unmarried, Jewish girl told a fib."

• DJS
    DJS

Thank(s) Heaven,

Quote number 2 did it for me; I came to the same conclusion never having heard of Hitchens. I really don't see how anyone can believe in a god with this understanding. If she exists, she is an evil, uncaring monster. Kinda like my ex-wife.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    The best argument for atheism is the Bible...as the Christian fundamentalist religious right has understood and taught it.
  • millie210
    millie210

Thanks for the quotes Heaven. They are very thought provoking.

I would say the best argument for atheism is what Heaven stated above. One cannot prove a God exists.

To play devils advocate for a moment - dont shoot!

As to some of Ktchens quotes above, a religious person might use the concept of God/Satan to explain some of the questions Kitchen raises.

The duality of good/evil forces.

Continuing in devils advocate mode...the thing that gives me pause in the can/cant prove God does exist argument, is that atheists are no happier than everyone else.

• done4good
    done4good

...the thing that gives me pause in the can/cant prove God does exist argument, is that atheists are no happier than everyone else.

That points to a false dichotomy. Happiness is independent of belief.

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit