Quotes

by Dracula 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Dracula
    Dracula

Hello, I'm doing some research, and i was wondering if the watchtower has had any legal action taken against it for mis-quoting someone (specifically the 1985 creation book), as this book especially is notorious for a few mis-quotes. Thanks for you're time.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

I was wondering if you can post some examples, specifically from the 1985 creation book.

Guest 77

• bj
    bj

Hello Dracula, welcome to this board. I don't know of any law suit but I remember reading in the book of Bill and Joan Cetnar (Questions for JW) That Prof. Mantley (?) treatened the WBTS for misquoting him in their NWT. The book included his letter.

Joe

• JanH
    JanH

For examples of misquotations and other errors in the "Creation" book, you can for example look at my article: Some Comments on the Book Life How did it Get Here? By Evolution or Creation?

I know of no cases of legal action against the WTS for misquotations.

- Jan

• bj
    bj

The case of Olin Moyle can be of help. It's not really mis quote but Olin took them to court and winned the case.

Joe

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

it just so happens i found that very book "Life - How did it get here" yesterday, when i was cleaning out a closet. that and another one titled ""KNOWLEDGE That Leads to Everlasting Life". my sister gave them to me and i just stuck them in the back of my closet. i didn't want my friends asking what are you doing with those witness books they qoute a lot of Science Digest and Newsweek in their "ape men/missing link" chapter; is that it? if they are misquoting i would love to call them on it.

anyway you know what's strange? in chapter 19" An Earthly Paradise Soon to Come" there's all these people sitting around a table waiting to eat and i took a good look at the picture and there's nothing on the table resembling meat of any kind. you see plates of nuts (how weird on a dinner table), fruits. vegetables, several loaves of bread, but no meat. they show little kids playing with tigers and people petting bears and stuff so i guess we're not going to eat the animals. i would ask about that when i was in and never really got an answer. in fact, you never got an answer to any detailed question, just exasperated looks and people questioning your spiritual strength/weakness...

anyway how quickly the earth will be overpopulated - and not just with people, but animals. we're not going to kill them, you know. the animals will be our friends (said in hypnotized voice).

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

Does that mean that the Venus flytrap is going to have to make do with nut cutlets?

Has anyone told it yet?

Or is it a plant that is under Satan's control and so because it has not been baptised will be destroyed at Armageddon?

Has anyone attempted to witness to it?

Its been a long day and i think I have finally, totally lost the plot!!!!!!

Nowfree

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Incense

I cannot think of a specific quote, but it was always generally understood that in the New World we would not:-

• Eat meat
    • shave, (men that is )
    • have to endure bad weather
    • drive motor cars (pollution)
    • speak any language other than Hebrew, since that was the original before the time of the Tower of Babel

Seems strange looking back, doesnt it?

• Dracula
    Dracula

I am not that familiar with the legal system, but a jw friend of mine said that if they were *that* serious, legal action would of been taken, but i wouldn't have a clue to what actually warrents as an unlawful misquote. Thanks Jan, i havn't seen this article before, it's pretty good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit