Biblical grounds for reinstatement?

by Haereticus 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

No I am not even contenplating of pleading for it.

I was reading Pay Attention To and I paid attention to 2 Cor. 2:6,7 which were about the only next to appropriate verses quoted for the purpose. Reading around the verses (not normally recommended for dubs) did not assure me that those verses apply to reinstatement. As I got the idea that the person in question was not disfellowshipped? Am I wrong assuming this?

What other Biblical grounds there could be for reinstatement?

Mark

• Farkel
    Farkel

: What other Biblical grounds there could be for reinstatement?

There are no Biblical grounds for disfellowshiping as practiced by the WTS. They have turned shunning a sinner into a legalistic system with rules, regulations and policies. The same thing is true with their regulations on reinstatement.

There is nothing Biblical about any of it, so your question is a non-sequitur.

Farkel

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Mark,

Farks is absolutely right, of course.

However, to answer your point, many Bible commentaries raise doubts about the WTS interpretaion. As you point out, there's nothing to link the person in 2 Cor with the one in 1 Cor, merely supposition.

BTW the WTS don't point out that there were other letters by Paul to the Corinthians. From Paul's own words, First Corinthians is not his first letter to them.

Cheers, ozzie

• rnovello
    rnovello

I feel disfellowshipping is only for the 144,000. Jesus death is the ransom for the sins of the great crowd. therfore only the annointed can commit the unforgiveable sin, which is the only reason for disfellowshipping

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

I agree with you as to disfellowshipping too, although some cleaning measures could be needed and justified. I just had the idea to see if there would be Bilbical grounds for reinstatement, if not then that fact alone would indicate that present disfellowshipping and shunning practise cannot be justified.

But as we all know this not the only unscriptural and unjust practise Borg should change.

Mark

Edited by - Haereticus on 2 July 2002 2:41:44

• bad_associashun
    bad_associashun

The term disfellowshipping is not even in the Bible. Jesus did not df anyone. Nor is reinstatement in the Bible. The closest comparison would be the prodigal son- quite different from WTS teaching.

The 'judicial system'- committee members & human judges- is WT based, not Bible based, we are judged & condemned with human eyes & hearts, not God's.

• freydi
    freydi

Haven't seen this subject discussed in quite a while. Thought I'd bring it up for some air after reading the secret letters to BOE's. Obviously there is no biblical basis for reinstatement policy as the society has taken the law into their own hands rather than trusting in God. You don't expect them to repent and start following Scripture do you? That would be like expecting the pope to resign from the papacy to become preseident of Planned Parenthood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit