What's the view by most Christians of the OT?

by jws 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jws
    jws

I know the JWs believe that since Jesus came, the Mosaic law is null and void.

I notice many other Christians seem to keep quoting the old testament. There's even videos on the web with idiots screaming "Don't take my 10 commandments" when a statue was being taken down. Even though I doubt these guys know the real 10 commandments in Ex 34 (that were on the tablets), not the ones in Ex 20 and would be hard pressed to tell you when was the last time they celebrated the festival of weeks or of unleavened bread.

I mean how can they scream about keeping the 10 commandment statues yet wear clothes with 2 types of fabrics?

Do most other Christian religions believe the NT voids the OT? Or do they believe it all still applies?

• Aroq
    Aroq

I personally do not think the 10 commandments are null and void. What I do believe is that the ten commandments were not something anyone then nor now could live up to. It is a measure that shows us that we cannot achieve them totally. It is to point out our flaws, I believe it was then also. We have to realize that with out God we cannot achieve perfection. Perfection against the ten commandments is impossible for us without the blood of Jesus. If you break one of the ten you break them all- James 2:10. Jesus added a little more meaning to the ten commandments when He said " it is written do not commit adultery, but I say to you if you lust after a woman you have committed adultery in your heart." Matt 5:28, as well as others. It is only by Jesus can we achieve anything,

Matthew 22:6 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and [o]foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

• menrov
    menrov

The LAW is no longer the judge over Christians. Jesus has been appointed judge and for that reason, Christians are free from the Law but bound by the Law of Christ, which is love.

However, one can still follow and apply the law if he/she wants to but it will not be the reason to receive eternal life. Point is as Paul reasons, if you break one element of the law, you have broken the entire law. It was impossible for humans to fulfil the law. Only Jesus could and did. As such, He freed His followers from the Law.

By the way, the OT is not synonym for the Law (which is indeed more than just the 10 commandments, I believe it holds about 600 laws). I believe that the OT has a purpose as it explains the beginning and the road that lead to Jesus. It has no real value with regard to eternal life though.

• jws
    jws

Aroq wrote:

I personally do not think the 10 commandments are null and void. What I do believe is that the ten commandments were not something anyone then nor now could live up to. It is a measure that shows us that we cannot achieve them totally. It is to point out our flaws, I believe it was then also. We have to realize that with out God we cannot achieve perfection. Perfection against the ten commandments is impossible for us without the blood of Jesus. If you break one of the ten you break them all- James 2:10. Jesus added a little more meaning to the ten commandments when He said " it is written do not commit adultery, but I say to you if you lust after a woman you have committed adultery in your heart." Matt 5:28, as well as others. It is only by Jesus can we achieve anything,

IDK.I can see where the sacrificing couldn't be easy to do today. And probably the Sabbath. But I really don't think I'd have a problem not boiling a goat in it's mother's milk. I never really boil goats. A few festivals a year, eh. Doesn't seem that bad.

Seriously. The 10 commandments don't look all that hard to live up to. Maybe a few. What does it mean that the firstborn of every womb belongs to God. It seems to imply the animals get sacrificed. What about the humans? How hard is it to keep yeast out of your blood sacrifices?

Which ones do you feel are hard to follow?

Funny how there's nothing about not committing adultery in the 10 commandments. So that Jesus added.

And BTW, the whole Mosaic law is so much more than the 10 commandments. And that would be hard to live up to.

Menrov,is that the view of another religion or was that influenced by JW beliefs? I'm mostly interested in what somebody non-JW might believe. I spent enough years on the JW side.

• cofty
    cofty
    Remember not to boil a kid in it's mother's milk and you will never go far wrong.
  • jhine
    jhine

I think Aroq is pretty much right .

Cofty roasting is safer and it tastes nicer too . As an added bonus you can do your roast spuds in the fat .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit