The Case for Theism

by FusionTheism 182 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I`m not against people expressing their beliefs..

I`m against people who relentlessly beat people over the head with them..

They still have a WBT$ JW Mind Set..They serve no one but themselves..

Someone who is deeply entrenched in the Idea of the Existance of God..

Is`nt going to jump straight to abandoning a belief in God..

Those people need time to think,they have`nt done that in a very long time..

They literally need to rehabilitate their ability to think on their own again..

Intellectually beating the shit out of them every chance you get..

Will only cripple them further..

Ok, I understand this point of view. Now I will explain why I disagree with it.

firstly, in my case part of the reason I engage theists is not only for them, but for onlookers. Faith and religious belief are a poison in our society. This is by no means merely an opinion I share but a fact of our world. I've elsewhere elaborated on why, and as a freed mind you likely are aware of these anyway (stem cell research banned, gay rights opposed and hated, blood transfusions killing people, Blood Libel dogma paving the way for Hitler and the holocaust, crusades, Muslkm terrorists attacks, and many more).

the poison of faith that results in all of this badness spreads all to easily through apparently reasonable arguments. In allowing these arguments to stand without tearing them to bits you risk someone falling victim to them and further spreading these monstrous ideas that kill many thousands and millions.

Second, I engage them for their benefit and for the sake of society. I actively post aggressive stands on Facebook as well. This is because the beliefs of these people are absolutely not benign. You say in this quote that you oppose people forcing their beliefs on others. But this betrays what I see as a lack of knowledge regarding how theists affect your world.

Cofty stated that you were or are a moderator on a forum where people claim God speaks to them. Would you approve of someone who makes such claims having any official capacity in your government? Or in any government? I sincerely doubt you would, yet that is the reality. People have office, especially in the United States, who actively make decisions on policy of the government or other actions that are obviously influenced by their faith. They thus force their beliefs on entire countries. Would you not oppose this?

It is not considered appropriate to challenge theists, a position you seem to share. But they MUST be challenged. They must be required to give evidence supporting their world views if those views are going to directly affect BILLIONS. If a person is going to be forced to suffer it MUST be for a good reason and not for faith, which by definition gives no reason.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    While you kids fight over Dawkins being atheist or agnostic. I'm gonna go. A watch the game. Go warriors baby. The only dubs im still for!
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

If I had to categorize myself regarding my beliefs, I would say I am atheist.

If I had to categorize myself regarding my knowledge of God/gods/the supernatural, the most honest answer would be that I am agnostic.

But. . . . . . If I did want to make a case for God, I think I could. Here it is:

Beer and music.

Anyone care to argue with this? ;)

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Boc wins. Thor rocks
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Johnathan..

You can believe what ever you want..

Some solutions work..some will never work..I`m sure you`ll find that out on your own..

cofty..

Dawkins prefers being called an Agnostic..

By John Bingham, Religious Affairs Editor
    8:21PM GMT 23 Feb 2012
    He told the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, that he preferred to call himself an agnostic rather than an atheist.

Next time get off your lazy ass and go find the info that`s already been presented..

It`s on the same friggin thread ..

Do you think you could find another page on the same thread with no help?..

Of course you could..But..

You think your special and people should jump through hoops for you..

There`s probably an open position for you as a WBT$ JW Elder at a local Kingdom Hall..

You can bully people there and be admired for it......I`ll bet that sounds tempting..

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    Point completely missed.
  • cofty
    cofty
    He told the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, that he preferred to call himself an agnostic rather than an atheist.

There is nothing in the article to support that assertion. It is editorial.

I asked you for the actual quote. Where does Dawkins say he "prefers to be called an agnostic rather than an atheist"?

Still waiting.

I have already explained the agnostic/atheist difference at some length but as usual you prefer to act like a spoiled child than engage in an intelligent conversation.

"We who are atheists.." - Dawkins

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Whatever the "truth" about "GOD/Gods" happens to be, surely the entire Universe is more than a gigantic Rube Goldberg machine that exists merely to keep our planet in a particular spot?

Think about THAT! What a shitty design that would be!

DD

• cofty
    cofty

Outlaw - Please watch for a few minutes from 1:11. Nowhere does he say anything like what you are claiming.

He acknowledges that he does admit to being an agnostic in the sense that nobody can be certain a god of some sort can't exist. He has elsewhere equated this with being unable to be certain that pink unicorns don't exist. He then rejects the label of the "the world's most famous atheist" and says he has never said that.

Don't believe every newspaper headline that confirms your bias..

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

He has elsewhere equated this with being unable to be certain that pink unicorns don't exist.....cofty

So what?!..You must be breaking a sweat building all these straw men..

He then rejects the label of the "the world's most famous atheist" and says he has never said that.

I never claimed he did..

Another straw man you`ve built and successfully destroyed..Good Job!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit