Tyranny of the Minority

by Oroborus21 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Yesterday, a U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decision ruled that the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance is unconstitutional. In summary, an atheist Michael A. Newdow, on behalf of his schoolage daughter, challenged the constitutionality of the pledge because it contains the words "under God". This decision was the wrong one. In 1943, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in West Virginia State Board of Education v Barnette, 319 U.S. 624, a Jehovah's Witnesses case, that a person who has an objection to the flag salute and recitation of the pledge of allegiance cannot be compelled to recite the pledge or salute the flag or be punished for failure to do so. This decision protects the rights of minorities without imposing the "tyranny of the minority" upon the majority of persons who wish to engage in these activities. If Mr. Newdow or his daughter, or anyone else for that matter, has a problem with the reciting the pledge they have the option not to do it--just as Jehovah's Witnesses have helped to establish. But to impose their view upon the majority of persons is absolutely wrong in every sense. I suggest further that Mr. Newdow stop using U.S. currency for as we all know inscribed there are the words: "In God We Trust". --Eduardo

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Gee we stopped saluting the flag and singing God Save the Queen when we ousted the facists back in the early seventies

then again most australians don't need a flag stuck up thier lawn to remember where they are (advantage of having a whole island all to ourselves i guess)

keep an eye on that Texas border eduardo! Americas count'n on yer

pledg'n nuth'n, not sign'n nuth'n, sing'n nuth'n in public no more, unclebruce

• blondie
    blondie

Is this the REAL unclebruce? If so, welcome back. You were missed.

• sf
    sf

(((((((((almost squeezing Unc Bru' guts out kinda hug}}}}}}}}}

Repeat after me:

I pledge allegiance to the SkallyWagger.....

hahahahaha

I love and have missed you and almost phoned you Sunday just to see how's yer doin'.

So tell me...how ARE you and the famdamily doin's?

Love, yes, LOVE, Me!

• SYN
    SYN

Why so much fuss over 2 little words? Just take 'em out, make everybody happy, and then those who still want to say "under God" can do so to their heart's content!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

now don't crowd me girls lol,

yes blondie it's really me (i think lol) is there a preposterer? why i oughta! So many people alude to stuff around here without speaking thier minds. (never bneen a p[roblem of mine unfortunatly for the board)

best wishes blondie, one of the many faces of unc lol.

g'day scallywaggerer, I've honestly never felt better or more contented and happy (i hope this isn't some dream or a witch spell that wears off or something)

I just wrote a long post about happiness and lost the bloody thing in cybespace .. that's life lol

I wish you happiness too scally (though i worry about you searching for it in mosh pits .. each to her own i guess :)

I'm in Sydney visiting my girls. There's nothing better than hugging someone you made yourself eh scally? love to you and mini scally ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit