JWs and College Goals in the News

by blondie 7 Replies latest social family

• blondie
    blondie

Pharo Tribune, Logansport, IN

LHS produces 9 valedictorians, 2 salutatorians for 2002

Publication date:

Monday, June 24, 2002

Tabulating results to decide this year's valedictorians and salutatorians at Logansport High School came down to the wire with the names of the top 11 students being named shortly before the Class of 2002's May graduation.

Valedictorians are :

*Cassia Kendall, daughter of Daniel and Debbie Kendall, 3698E Pvt. Rd. 65N

School Activities:

Latin Club, Spanish Club, National Honor Society and Library student helper.

Community Activities:

Bible education volunteer work and volunteer to lay ceramic tile in Kingdom Hall's of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Honors/Awards:

Outstanding Student in Latin and U.S. History, advanced placement; Top 20 in the Logansport Art Association's Youth Art Show and a first first-place in the color photography category.

Future Plans:

Attend Purdue University to pursue a career in accounting from the School of Management

http://www.pharostribune.com/cgi-bin/LiveIQue.acgi$rec=15215?lp_story

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    Community Activities: Bible education volunteer work and volunteer to lay ceramic tile in Kingdom Hall's of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The ceramic tile work will help her when she graduates. She can do that and pioneer! What a great community "helper."

GAG! How about Habitat for Humanity? Oh, yeah, all the bad associations on a job site; they might pull her away from the dubs. Jimmy Carter is an evil man!

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

Just think of the preaching work she can accomplish with her validictorian speech!!!

If you only spend 10 minutes speaking, but speak to 1000 people, can you count that as seperate 10 minute time intervals times 1000, or 10,000 minutes of time on her field service report?

Let's see, 10,000 / 60 = She has 166.66 hours of field service this month because she is validictorian. (ewwww, notice all those 6's)...

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, she will do all this while she attends here:

Future Plans: Attend Purdue University to pursue a career in accounting from the School of Management
  • zenpunk
    zenpunk

This just makes me angry. You know, the whole college issue.

• Salud
    Salud

Well if she sticks to her plans I say good for her! She is bucking the trend.

My younger brother was offered a sholorship out of high school but instead decided to pioneer and go to Bethel (I am partly to blame for that) Now I wish he would have not listened to me.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I do understand that some of you might harbor some bitterness due to the fact that you did not choose a college education due to WT-influence. However, I do know JW who did pursue a college education even back in the 80s, and those are being used for parts at assemblies etc. In fact I do know of a congregation where the majority of elders are managers/having white collar work.

Instead of harassing her for having an outspoken/balanced attitude, trying to integrate non-witness interests with "theocratic" pursuits, why do you not applaud her instead for having the guts to have other goals.

(btw. very few young people pioneer where I come from).

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

I only knew of 3 others besides myself, 2 being my brothers, who went to college. I was in the "in crowd" in Cleveland and can't believe 1% of kids I knew went to college. ( 4 out of 400) Noone went to college in the halls.

I worked on Habitat for Humanities projects. I did this through my college fraternity's community service program. Helping those in need was more fulfilling than helping a printing empire.

Edited by - TTBoy on 24 September 2002 9:2:44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit