Peace and Security! (Part 2)

by cellomould 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cellomould
    cellomould

PART II

The forerunner of the United Nations was the League of Nations, an organization conceived in similar circumstances during the first World War, and established in 1919 under the Treaty of Versailles "to promote international cooperation and to achieve peace and security." The International Labour Organization was also created under the Treaty of Versailles as an affiliated agency of the League. The League of Nations ceased its activities after failing to prevent the Second World War.

http://www.un.org/aboutun/history.htm

The WT found it very easy to criticize the UN in light of the dissolution of the League of Nations following WW II. Notice that the phrase 'peace and security' was in the original charter of the League of Nations. The WT has a remarkably long history of mocking world leaders who care to make peace a goal.

Interestingly, the Bible translation used in Rutherford's time did not use the phrase 'peace and security':

See also pages 291-294 of the book Enemies, published in 1937. On page 293 of the latter book Rutherford wrote:

The old whore (Roman Catholic Church) sitting upon the back of the beast may soon be expected to say: Peace and safety; we have silenced all opponents. Then Jehovahs strange act will begin, and sudden destruction comes upon her as travail upon a woman with child.

http://wis.i8.com/peacesecurity.htm

What I am conjecturing is that the translators of the NWT inserted the phrase 'peace and security' (rather than 'peace and safety', etc) to suit their own prophetic agenda. When the exact phrase coined by the League of Nations appears in the bible, the bible verse seems to the credulous mind inspired of God to doom the 'wild beast'. After all, according to my memory, translation was begun after the end of WWII. Jehovah's little 'anointed' class must have been happy that the League of Nations was 'resurrected' in the U.N. Their enemy, 'the wild beast that was, then was not, then was again' had come back to play.

So, a quick poll:

Was the U.N. fiasco an attempt to subvert the authority of the U.N. and force the 'fulfillment' of WT prophecy?

cellmould

(posted by itself for clarity)

• Farkel
    Farkel

cello,

: Was the U.N. fiasco an attempt to subvert the authority of the U.N. and force the 'fulfillment' of WT prophecy?

They couldn't get a prophecy right if it bit them in their ass and God shouted it in their ears FACTS prove that.

Farkel

• cellomould
    cellomould

Fark,

lol

You make a good point. I almost put my foot in my mouth with this post, however. I was reminded upon searching that in 1942, Knorr (I believe that was the prez) announced that the League of Nations would have a successor. I was going to assume that the 'beast' imagery was not used until after the United Nations was formed. In other words, the 'prophecy' was, in fact, hindsight.

But another point has presented itself, so I will leave the 'beast' alone...

Did you know that the UN was already in infancy before the end of WWII?

I do remember reading on the UN website that 'United Nations' was coined by FDR. Remember that he passed away in 1945, before the war was over. Also before the United Nations was actually ratified. That should make you go, 'hmmm....'

Okay here is is:

The name "United Nations", coined by United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt, was first used in the "Declaration by United Nations" of 1 January 1942, during the Second World War, when representatives of 26 nations pledged their Governments to continue fighting together against the Axis Powers.

http://www.un.org/aboutun/history.htm

cellmuld

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

On the same text, who is the "them" upon whom instant destruction is pronounced, in 1 Thess.5:3?

Late last year I was discussing this with a few other elders. There have been a few flip-flops on this subject, even in the last couple of years years. Does Babylon the Great get destroyed, heralding peace, which results in instant destruction upon the soothsayers? Otherwise, is it Babylon the Great that is destroyed during a suggested peacetime? Or is it something else entirely?

Prior to 1999, the following are interesting variations:
    Awake 8 Jul 96 p.25 UN, propogandists, Pope, et al
    Wt 1 Sep 91 p.5 Wicked, esp. Super powers incl those seeing 1914
    Wt 1 Jun 91 p.18 Christendom
    Revelation book (1988) Those making the cry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit