Why did the society shut down it's radio station?

by voltaire 9 Replies latest jw friends

• voltaire
    voltaire

On an earlier thread about the WT's TV commercials I said that the society used the media before, more specifically I reffered to their radio station. It seems to me that they quit using it because they were pressured to. I remeber reading something, somewhere about the provacative, imflamatory nature of Rutherford's remarks being the principal factor. Another poster ( One) asked me to elaborate, but I can't for the life of me recall where I read about it. Was it Barbara Grizzuti's book? Or Penton's? I just don't recall. I'm fairly sure that the principal factor in shutting it down was not the society's "Jehovah was through using the radio station" spiel. Does anyone know where I read about this? Any help would be appreciated. In fact, Russel's sermons were carried by many newspapers. I'd be interested in knowing if there's any story behind why the society stopped that. Any historians?

• Amazing
    Amazing

The Watchtower Society gives their version of what happened to WBBR on Staton Island. I believe it is found in their book, Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose. I have a copy of that book in my boxes, but I don't feel like getting it out right now. Nevertheless, we know how much we can trust the Watchtower Society spin on history ... so, I am hoping that someone can give us the rest of the story.

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

God, could you imagine what kind of music they would play if they had a radio station today?

something like elevator music...

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

Ok, everyone get out their song book.. Turn to Kingdom melody 167... (It sounds just like Kindgom melody 112 --- Trust in Jehovah, he will kill those who don't listen to us, if you are worthy he MAY see fit to hide you on his day of anger....")

• Farkel
    Farkel

There were several factors: Rutherford was drunk all the time. Then "Frank and Earnest" got drunk all the time and slurred their words on the shows. Then someone wrote WBBR (Watchtower Bullshit-Babbling Radio) and said that naming any kid "Earnest" was child-abuse and his parents should be shot.

Seriously:

"By 1931, most of the Bible Student groups were falling apart or functioning as independent classes or individuals. Along came Norman Woodworth, he created the Society's Radio program "Frank and Earnest" and left in 1928 along with the "Frank and Earnest" program. With the help of the Brooklyn ecclesia the "Frank and Earnest" radio program continued."

Frankie and Earnest

Trivia question: was Norman Woodworth related to that consummate crackpot Clayton Woodworth?

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 26 June 2002 23:30:5

• wokeup
    wokeup

Voltaire, I looked up the info from the Divine Purpose publication, circa 1958. It gives the Society's version of events. It stated beginning on page 120 that " the radio station WBBS began on February 24, 1924, the president of the Society inaugurated this station by delivering an important lecture entitled "Radio and Divine Prophecy". Live broadcasts of Rutherfords' lectures called "The Watch Tower Hour" with introductory and concluding music furnished by an orchestra maintained by the Society began November 18, 1928 and they continued through 1930. "For more than 3 decades it broadcast as a noncommercial, educational station throughout the entire New York metropolitan area and the neighboring states of Connecticut and New Jersey".The live broadcasts were surplanted in 1931 with what was called "transcribed lectures" on records because the live broadcasts prevented Rutherford from traveling and organizing conventions according to page 122. These 15 minute talks allowed the society to rent telephone lines by the hundreds for simultaneous broadcasts over hundreds of radio stations. This was called the "wax chain". In 1932 this "wax chain" had expanded to more than 340 stations. Rutherfords' attacks particularly against Roman Catholics created public backlash and the demand to take Rutherford off the airwaves. In 1934 the Society began using colporteurs in the use of using phonographs both from cars and at the doors subjecting the neighbors to these prerecorded "lectures".The Society stated it was very successful .On page 138 it says on October 31,1937 the Society withdrew from the airwaves but prior Rutherford spoke on nationwide radio on the concluding day at an assembly in 1937 that the broadcasts were ending and that it was because of a 10 year boycott and intimidation that had been practiced by the Roman Catholic Hierarchy and other clergmen.

Hope this helps. I had to sift thru many pages on the subject reading Tom and Johns' supposed conversation &>:(

Allen

• Farkel
    Farkel

Allen,

: Hope this helps. I had to sift thru many pages on the subject reading Tom and Johns' supposed conversation

Tell "Maria" 'hi' for me, ok? I always liked "Maria." I wanted to boink her even, but such was not to be.

Of course, you must know that that kind of "fake dialogue" presentation in a book was started with JFR's book "Children" with John and Eunice deciding not to marry nor procreate until after Armageddon. That book was written in 1941 and John and Eunice would be about 80 years old now and likely dead, just like the author of that trash.

If the whole world would have heeded that trash, the population of the Earth would be near-decimated by now, even though it was all "Bible-Based(tm)"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 27 June 2002 2:28:45

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Farkel,

You forgot to say that JUDGE Rutherford is in heaven.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Fred,

You forgot that when last seen, the ethanol-fueled "Judge" had his nose pointing toward Alcyone in the Pleiades and BOY! were his arms getting tired!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

... or he's taking the big dirt nap in an unmarked grave where his buddies dumped him in San Diego California.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 27 June 2002 16:58:38

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

i once knew the answers, but since getting un-hovahed -- it leaked away..

but, the WTS in australia still owned stations in the 1940-1945 era-- but were under some kind of govt. control, because of allegedly broadcasting comments about troop movements....

and i have a vague memory, that the WTS still had WBBR (was that the name) for a long time after that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit