TERMINOLOGY

by Perfection Seeker 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

For those of you who have SUCCESSFULLY left the organization, how long till the "TERMINOLOGY" leaves? You know "the truth" "Worldly" "The Brotherhood" etc. Just curious how long till I'm cured :-)

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I think alot of the terminology stays forever. Here's an example to let you know it's not just the JWs. A few years ago, my mom and I went to a funeral with a full Catholic Mass. My mother had not set foot in a Catholic Church for 30 years, yet, she told me she knew all the "responses" to be said during the mass. Those terms are indoctrinated in your mind and hard to remove.

• Amazing
    Amazing

I had a therapist tell me during a session once that leaving the JWs was very similar to getting a divorce. He suggested that if the similarities hold true, it takes 3 to 5 years to complete the process of hurt, anger, grieving, healing, and growth. So who knows ...

I found that stopping the expression "The Truth" helped a lot when I heard Ros call it "The Lie" ... and somehow I was able to immediately realize what I was saying and change terminology. I gues it just takes some time for these little revelations to reach us and move us to change.

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

Divorce is a good example! Even when you leave a spouse when it is for the "best" you have memories, ties, etc. That is a great example! Thanks!

• butalbee
    butalbee

I never became a witness, and some of the terminology ever present in everyday life. It sucks, doesn't it??

• HomebutHiding
    HomebutHiding

Ahhh, the buzzwords. I sometimes find myself speaking as if i am witnessing, when relating this or that to my husband. Words like truth, the society, the brothers, the new system fall out. Tkaes a concerted effort to avoid them. But then, I at times, call him by my ex-husband's name. These errors are to be expected, I assume.

• ISP
    ISP

Not sure the terminology does leave ya!

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit