New Light on HOLIDAYS and BIRTHDAYS? (September 2015 Watchtower)

by FusionTheism 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mephis
    Mephis
    When I was in, it wasn't uncommon for people in my congregation to read a rhetorical question over doctrinal matters as a rhetorical question. Yes, the GB can fulminate about education but it's a conscience matter. Yes, the GB may not like certain types of music, but it's a conscience matter to a certain degree. Same with books and tv. Conscience and a bit of freedom. This piece is them further trying to erode that. Some things are conscience matters but the only consciences which matter are those of the GB. The bit on blood at the beginning is classic WT backside covering language.
  • steve2
    steve2

Fusion, you started a thread a few short weeks ago raising the question about whether the organization was moving away from teaching the end was near. You selectively quoted excepts from the study Watchtower article in support of your thesis, but were soon reminded that, due to your amazing selectivity, you missed out the bits that talked about the nearness of the end.

Indeed, since your thread was first posted, the Watchtower came out with a front page with a declared view that the end is near.

Now you seize upon another selective quote from the simplified Watchtower to query whether there is new light of holidays or birthdays. As others have said, this is nothing new. It is not refering to birthdays - and in J-dub land never has. It is akin to 7th-Day Adventists who pontificate over these words but continue to expect the faithful to keep the Saturday Sabbath.

It's good to be optimistic for positive change - but it is perhaps even better to ensure that you base your optimism on solid ground and not wishful thinking.

You do strike me as just as inclined as the organization is in selectively quoting sources to reach unjustified conclusions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit