New Light on HOLIDAYS and BIRTHDAYS? (September 2015 Watchtower)

by FusionTheism 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I am not sure what the new light(TM) is here.

It's all very well them saying 'don't judge' but just you wait until someone does something the WBT$ say is not due to a 'fully trained conscience.'

Until the WBT$ says 'It's okay, you can celebrate burfdays eyc..' then it still ISN'T okay in WBT$ land.

Note 'fully trained conscience'!! In other words if you celebrate stuff you are not 'mature(TM)' but 'weak(TM)'.

The debbil is in the detail.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

But there's a huge difference from just being viewed as "new" or "needing to mature" and being Disfellowshipped for choosing to participate in holiday celebrations.

In the past, as far as I know, Christmas, Birthdays, and Halloween celebrations would be Disfellowshipping or Disassociation offenses, not just "up to your own conscience" or "personal decisions."

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Spot on Punk, though perhaps we should say the debbil is in the lack of detail . .
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

Remember, the WBT$ speaks with forked tongue.

I await their actually saying it's okay.

Mind you, I still won't go back no matter how they might sweeten it to get more bums on seats thus resulting in money for the GB.

• Giordano
    Giordano

This is not new light but rather an important scripture that puts lie to the Societies teaching that one should not celebrate birthdays or holidays. If I remember the JW's they have always been ready to honor their god at mealtimes and thanksgiving in general. I have always been astounded that these plain spoken scriptures from Paul have been wantonly ignored by the Society. It seems clear as can be:

One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. (Romans 14:5-6)

To prove that the JW's are different the WT violates the scriptures once again.

I am a non believer, by the way, but this abusive religion can still turn my stomach.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The title of the article is "Is Your Conscience a Reliable Guide?"

This is the final paragraph:

"How fine it is when our goal is to bring our lives ever more into harmony with Jehovah’s" {read Governing Body's -JT} "standards and ways! To that end, the conscience can be an invaluable tool. By regularly immersing ourselves in God’s Word," {read "Watchtower Publications - JT} meditating on what we find, and striving to put it into practice,we train our conscience. It will thus prove to be a valuable asset in our Christian life!"

As I suspected, the answer to the question posed in the title is "No."

• brandnew
    brandnew
    They are stying to soften people up, for the upcoming blood transfusion policy.......there aint gonna be one.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

This is just the standard article about how you're guilty if you stumble someone, but if someone stumbles you it's still you're fault that you got stumbled. There's just not enough guilt for them to heap on you if you're only responsible for yourself, so they make you responsible for everyone else too.

Then, for good measure, they tell you to make your own decision on health care, and accept responsibility for it. I guess they're a little uncomfortable being responsible for the needless death of thousands, and they're trying to convince everyone and themselves that these deaths were the personal decision of the victim and that the responsibility lies there.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    I think this is the key: "When it comes to health care and other matters, each of us needs to make a personal decision and accept responsibility for it." With all the relaxation of what parts of blood you can take without being DF'd people are taking advantage of it. Some are freaking out because "brother or sister so and so" accepted this part and its wrong! So there must be infighting about what the hell to do with all these people with a permissive conscience and those who are becoming judgmental. They dug this hole and now they have to fill it in.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Wasanelderonce: I think this is the key: "When it comes to health care and other matters, each of us needs to make a personal decision and accept responsibility for it."

You are probably right. It is the key.

But I think the Tower probably means this: "Don't come after us in court. We wash our hands of you. You are responsible - the Tower isn't responsible for all your faulty health care choices."

Maybe they are facing some legal challenges from people who have been affected by the Tower's barbaric demands for human sacrifice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit