Blast From The Past

by Frenchy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

**However, from 1892 to 1927, the Watch Tower did set aside space for comment on the text featured in the "International Sunday School Lessons," which were then popular in many Protestant churches. These texts were for many years selected by F. N. Peloubet, a Congregational clergyman, and his assistants. The Watch Tower discussed these texts from the standpoint of the Bible Students advanced understanding of the Scriptures, free from the creeds of Christendom. It was hoped that in this way the Watch Tower would find its way into some of the churches, that the truth would thus be presented, and that some church members would accept it. Of course, the difference was evident, and this angered the Protestant clergy. **

--jv p.245

I can't imagine why that would have upset the clergy!

• ISP
    ISP

Hey.....nice to see ya stranger!

ISP

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Day before yesterday I was reading messages from forever ago (mid 2000) and your name stood out. There didn't seem so many posters then, but some that are still on the board seem to have changed their opinions quite a bit in that time. The thread I was reading, was one you started and you were talking about the good things about the Witnesses and how you got criticised if you said something nice about them, and that exjws were quite intolerant in the same way as dubs were about apostates. I found myself thinking that the posts back then were more interesting than they are today. Maybe not - grass is always greener etc - so anyway, I just wondered, have you changed your views and situation much since mid year 2000?

Marilyn

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Frenchy,

Glad to see your smiling cajun grin!

Bible Students advanced understanding of the Scriptures

It's so nice that the Bible Students gave themselves so much credit! Too bad the clergy didn't agree with their self-assessment.

One thing that the Bible Students/WTBT/JW's have never been bashful about - declaring that they're The Best, The Truest, The Only, God's Chosen.

waiting

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

:::::::::- declaring that they're The Best, The Truest, The Only, God's Chosen.

Except when they've been forced to admit error, and then they suddenly become "imperfect men, until the new system". Hohum!

Marilyn

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Frenchy,

Are you Cajun? I'm part Cajun. My mother was a Boutin and on my father's side I'm Anglo. Her people were Acadians from Acadie (Nova Scotia, Canada). When the Acadians arrived in Louisiana (beginning in 1764) the Creoles of New Orleans shortened the word to Cadiens. In time the Ameicans corrupted it into Cajun, much like the word Indian became Injun. Sorry for the digression. At any rate, I was born in the heart of Acadiana, in Breaux Bridge, which is the "Crawfish Capital of the World." My mother tongue is Cajun; I learned English in school. Are you from La.?

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Hello, ISP. Its been a hectic year for me! Good to see you too!

Hello, Marilyn. Its good to see you too. I remember when the board was, shall we say, a little more intimate than it is now. It seemed then that it was more civil as well and that the discussions were more meaningful. That is not to say that there are not some excellent poster now but I suppose the sheer volume of posts detracts from those few that are worth reading and responding to. But, like you, I think the old board was far more interesting and exciting.

I have also noticed that some of the older posters have changed their attitude and position. I am still technically a witness. I family and friends that are and you know what would happen if I were to disassociate myself. I rarely go to a meeting and have not been to a convention or assembly for two years now. I still think there are a lot of good things about the witnesses. I enjoy the clean speech, the moral lifestyle, the honesty that most practice, the commitment to what I consider to be higher principles. I still think that a lot of exjws are just as intolerant as the witnesses that they criticize. I still think that some of the criticism is not justifiable and that this counts against them and diminishes those points of contention which are valid.

I am still struggling with my faith. I have found it very difficult to maintain faith in God after I essentially left the JWs. I suppose that is because my belief in God was so wrapped up with the WTBS. I find that I have a concept or philosophy that is slowly emerging that is allowing me to maintain a belief in God without the encumbrances of having to accept as ironclad the doctrines and rules and policies of an organized religion.

Thank you very much for your post. I really enjoyed reading and responding to it.

Waiting:

Its great to see you too! Yes, I was also moved by that statement concerning the advanced understanding. Isnt that a riot?

** One thing that the Bible Students/WTBT/JW's have never been bashful about - declaring that they're The Best, The Truest, The Only, God's Chosen.**

They remind me of a son-in-law I have! Hes not short on self esteem either!

I like Marilyns response to this. (smile) They are very good at playing their fiddle.

Kenneson:

Thats fascinating! Yes, I am pure bleed Cajunboth sides of the family. I live in central Louisiana and I have been to Breax Bridge many times although, regretfully, never for the crawfish festival. I plan to remedy that, however!

I lived with my grandparents until I was about eight or ten and they spoke only French so I had to learn English in school as well. Back then they would whip you good if they caught you speaking French on the school grounds. I learned English while I learned the first and second grade. I had teachers that were bi-lingual and so it never really slowed me down in school.

I remember going out in service as a young man and often meeting people who spoke no English at all. That never happens anymore. Now its hard to find a person under fifty who speaks French at all. That saddens me because the language is so rich.

I met a fabulous lady in Breax Bridge some time ago. She sings French songs (has a couple of CDs) and she sounds just like Kitty Wells. Its a great area and I do so love the French people.

I hope to talk to you some more.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Nice to see you again Frenchy . Every now and again I stop and think about how nice it was to have had this place when I needed it most and that it was what it was when it was.

(does that make any sense? lol)

Path

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Bonjour Frenchy,

Comment ca va?

I agree with you 100%. The Cajun language is dying because the schools forbade us to speak it on the school grounds. They discouraged parents from teaching their children by saying that now we were Americans and the language was not needed. Now decades later, with the advent of James Domengeaux and the Council for the Devleopment of French in La. (CODOFIL) they tried to bring it back but too late. Besides, they tried to teach standard French, which is different from the Cajun dialect. So some kids might be able to say a few phrases in French, but they can't carry on a conversation. Since Cajun is a spoken language and not a written language, it could have been handed down only orally by parents. That's how you and I learned it. It was passed down from generation to generation by word of mouth. But as less and less parents spoke Cajun, their children did not learn it either. And the little French they are learning today is the Parisien French. It's a shame. The only things I see that will remain in the Cajun culture for a long time to come are the music and the food.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

** Nice to see you again Frenchy . Every now and again I stop and think about how nice it was to have had this place when I needed it most and that it was what it was when it was.
    (does that make any sense? lol) **

Good to see you too! Yes, it makes perfect sense to me.

Bonjour, Kenneson. Ca va bien, mon ami.

** . Besides, they tried to teach standard French, which is different from the Cajun dialect. So some kids might be able to say a few phrases in French, but they can't carry on a conversation. Since Cajun is a spoken language and not a written language, it could have been handed down only orally by parents**

Yes, you are quite right. I agree with that. Conversations in the Cajun dialect are very rare these days and I miss it very much.

** The only things I see that will remain in the Cajun culture for a long time to come are the music and the food.**

Amen! Im doing my part in its preservationesp. the food! Ces ci bon!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit