how many gospels???

by singsongboi 6 Replies latest jw friends

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

i've known of the 4 "official: gospel accounts...

and, i know the gospel account by thomas,

but others?

was just reading a synopsis of a course run by the WEA** in sydney OZ, called "ON LINE - New Images of Jesus of Nazareth", which says in part...

"His teaching was purely oral so we have to rely on the transmission of his words by others to achieve even an inkling of what he taught. How reliable are the sources? Why are only 4 gospels ever quoted when there are many more?"

Not really interested in spending a lot of time to find out, but my curiosuity does extend to asking here. Can anyone add to the five gospels above?

** web site is www.weasydney.com .au

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

There are a number of other gospels: Gospel of Bartholomew, Gospel of Peter, Gospel of Philip, Gospel of Mary, Gospel of James, Protoevangelium, Gospel of Nicodemus, etc.

For a complete list check:

http://home.inreach.com/usm/pseudepigrapha.html

Scroll down to "Gospel Section."

• blondie
    blondie

I've heard the book of Romans called the "fifth Gospel" by the WTS.

w95 5/15 13 Flashes of Light in Apostolic Times

(of course, the apochryphal "some" is cited)
    For instance, there is Pauls letter to the Romans, written about 56 C.E.approximately the same time that Luke wrote his Gospel. In this letter Paul highlights the fact that righteousness is imputed as a result of Gods undeserved kindness and through faith in Jesus Christ. Pauls emphasis on this aspect of the good news has caused some to view his letter to the Romans as if it were a fifth Gospel.
  • gumby
    gumby

Quote: "His teaching was purely oral so we have to rely on the transmission of his words by others to achieve even an inkling of what he taught. How reliable are the sources?

Not only do we have to rely on the ones who knew him to be truthful.....we also have to rely on those it was passed on to....to be truthful. Then we have to rely on the CHURCH who decided which books would make up the cannon...to be truthful....not add things or take away....not change ANYTHING.

We would have to conclude God guided all these men through this time period to write down things correctly, keep it from being tampered with, so we could have his pure word.

Did God EVER command men to make a book that all mankind should follow as Gods word to us???????????????

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

For a complete list check:

http://home.inreach.com/usm/pseudepigrapha.html

I guess that link is good if you only want a list of titles, but none of the links to the actual text of the books seems to work...

• Carmel
    Carmel

and these are only the Christian gospels..

carmel

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

thanx for helping me !!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit