Anyone working with .net from our friend Bill G.

by jelly 1 Replies latest jw friends

• jelly
    jelly

Just fishing for opinions on the new Development suite from MS. I started working on C# , and VB but do you all think this is going to be picked up and utilized by developers.

Jelly

• Simon
    Simon

Hi jelly - sorry I missed this one!

I think DotNet will do well - Microsoft have invested a lot in it and have made a damn good job as I'm sure even their critics would admit (remarkable for a version 1.0 product of this scope). Classic ASP has done fantastically well and DotNet is a magnitude better. Microsoft have really gone back to the drawing board and re-written the whole software development platform from the ground up based on everything we now know about Windows, the Internet, Web Services etc...

The only downside I can see is it makes it easier for people to do things ... so to be able to differentiate yourself from the crowd means producing even better software - it really raises the bar in development terms (which is of course a good thing really).

I especially like being able to get at the whole web request pipeline without having to write C++ ISAPI filters / extensions ... and also XCOPY deployment! It's like the good old days of DOS - just copy a folder and go! (bye bye registry & metabase ... it's been fun ... not!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit