'Fleeing' to the mountains?

by ISP 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ISP
    ISP

*** Rbi8 Matthew 24:15-16 ***
    15 "Therefore, when YOU catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place, (let the reader use discernment,) 16 then let those in JuĀ·de'a begin fleeing to the mountains.

The WTS believes this has relevance in relation to end-time prophecies. Questions is when is the 'fleeing' to take place and to where?

This assumes there is relevance.

Any thoughts?

ISP

• logical
    logical

I can suggest reading the posts by MDS, Jr, BJC2012, and the sensible ones by myself, as well as TheBitterTruth, OneTrueSource (way back last summer).

• ISP
    ISP

Gonna post some links then Logical?

Thanks

ISP

• MDS
    MDS

Hi ISP:

The book of Daniel is quite "relevant" for christians today. Many professed christians around the world believe so. Therefore, it behooves all lovers of truth, to investigate carefully, to ascertain any purported relevance for our day.

First, we must say, the book of Daniel does frequently speak of a terrific conflict between God's Name People and a powerful "king of the North," a "Small Horn" that it describes, does launch a SURPRISE ATTACK upon the "Holy People of the Supreme One,"...a Special People of God, designated as "holy ones," who are under a "Holy Covenant." -- Daniel 7:8-27; 8:9-14; 11:28, 30, 32, 40; 12:7, 11

Now, the real "relevance" of Matt. 24:15 , the "fleeing to the mountains," as it were, the "end time" situation itself, and why so many Scripture/Prophecy-Conscience People today believe there is a powerful connection between what Jesus predicted and current events of our time, is mentioned for us at Daniel 8:19 which says:

"And he went on to say: Here I am causing you to know what will occur in the final part of the dununciation, because it is for the appointed time of the end." -- Daniel 8:19

So, the simple long and short of this terrific situation is:

a certain unidentified "holy people," are found in the "time of the end," "ACTING WICKEDLY AGAINST" a "[holy] Covenant of God." -- Daniel 11:28, 30, 32

This "acting wickedly against" God's Covenant must be addressed, atoned for, from the "Supreme One's" perspective. Punishment must be given out because of "transgression" committed by this "holy nation." God sees to it. -- Daniel 8:12

Jeremiah 30:7, 11 says:

"Alas! For that day is a great one, so that there is no other like it, and it is the time of distress for Jacob. But he will be saved even out of it...For I am with is the utterance of Jehovah, to save you; but I shall make an extermination among the all the nations to which I have scattered you. However, in your case I shall make no extermination. And I shall have to correct you to the proper degree, as I shall by no means leave you unpunished."

So, Jehovah purposes to DISCIPLINE His Name People, Israel, BEFORE He finally takes action upon all "nations," who persist in opposition to Him right up to the very end. Those who do not repent.

"Israel," has ignored genuine prophecy, Divine Warnings, and is thus, not aware of this coming "discipline" upon herself. This is because of being completely "haughty," and overly prideful of her present-day "haughtily exultant" leaders, and cannot be warned about its sure coming. -- Zephaniah 3:11, 12

Nevertheless, this same holy people, the obedient among them, the "Holy Ones of the Supreme One," are also spoken of as being, IN THE END AFTER PERSECUTION, yes, given a special "kingdom." Daniel tells us that "Israel," will be given an "INDEFINITELY LASTING KINGDOM, where ALL rulerships will serve and obey even them," -- a Grand Kingdom -- God's Kingdom. This "Kingdom" is given them by God Almighty, the "Supreme One", "Israel," has been disciplined for transgression and sin. This "Kingdom," will rule the earth forever and ever. -- Daniel 2:44; 7:27

But before they can be granted this "Indefinitely lasting kingdom," God's kingdom, this "holy people" must endure a particularly distressful situation of "harassment" and trouble for a specified "time, times, and half a time," -- a very specific period of distress of 3 1/2 years. (Revelation 12:6, 14) During this time, a particularly sinister, powerful political ruler will surface. He is called the "king of the North." Also, the "Small Horn."

He will launch an unexpected, surprise attack upon this "holy land," and "holy people," who have a "holy covenant" with God. The "holy people," do not see this coming at all. They are totally UNPREPARED for this. But, God allows this.

When the surprise attack is launced, a serious split will occur for this "Holy Nation," with many of them being led "into apostasy by means of smooth words" by this evil, sinister political "king." But the Bible promises, "...as regards the people who are knowing their God, they will prevail and act effectively." Some will possess "insight," and others will not and will be thus, "led into apostasy by means of smooth words" by the "King of the North" or the "small horn." -- Daniel 7:21-27; 11:28-35

All of this trouble comes upon God's Holy People and could have been prevented, avoided, if "transgression" had NOT BEEN COMMITTED by this Holy People, against the "holy covenant" in the first place. It could have all been avoided, if "transgression" had been acknowledged, changes made and repentance demonstrated thereof, by the nation, and forgiveness could have been granted. But, the "holy nation," led by wicked men, greedy "ROBBERS," of God's People, demonstrated no repentance at all, but instead attacked any one who tried to direct them to Repentance," like the "Two Witnesses." -- Daniel 8:23; 11;14, 28, 30, 32; Revelation 11:3-8

The real reason for these difficulties, this entire situation is mentioned for us at Daniel 8:12 which says:

"and an army itself was gradually given over, together with the constant feature, BECAUSE OF TRANSGRESSION; and it kept throwing TRUTH to the earth, and it acted and had success."

These people, who are "given over" to the Political Powers that be at that time, the "Small Horn," or "king of the north," the one who "tramples", "harrasses," "the holy people of the Supreme One," for a pre-defined period of a "time, times, and half a time," or "42 months," ... do indeed have "TRUTH," just as the bible says above. They possess "truth," as God's Holy Nation. They are God's people, modern-day "Israel," Jehovah's Witnesses of our day and time. -- Daniel 8:12; Rev. 11:2

When Jesus mentioned "fleeing to the mountains," ... his main point was to "flee" away from area of "Judea," particularly the city and center of worship for the nation, the "Jerusalem." Mark 13:14, shows one should even "flee" even from "Judea," the entire area itself. In essence, "flee from idolatry," as mentioned at 1 Cor. 10:14.

"Jerusalem," the city, and the entire area of "Judea," has become, the center of "idolatry," before our God. Thus, this "fleeing" action for Jesus' diciples in the first century, is synonymous with the urgency to "get out of babylon" mentioned at Isaiah 48:20, 52:11, Jeremiah 50:8, 51:45, and Revelation 18;4. This timely counsel found at Matthew 24:15 and Mark 13:14 then, is saying the same thing for God's People. In other words, if one does not want to suffer the consequences of the coming "42 months" of "trampling," then one must flee the center of Idolatry, spiritual "Jerusalem," which in God's eyes, is now likened to the "Great City," of Babylon the Great, "Sodom," and "Egypt." All places of spiritual degradation, and bondage, and slavery for "Israel." -- Revelation 11:8; Isaiah 11:11-16

So, the counsel of Jesus, stresses "ESCAPE" from "Jerusalem," even "Judea," the entire area -- yes, escape from IDOLATRY. In our day, the "mountains" simply represent places of refuge from spiritual "Jerusalem," of our day. Isaiah 2:2,5,6 shows that God's People can indeed, step over "into light," spiritual light, away from spiritual darkness, and into "light," which is to be found in the "MOUNTAIN of the House of Jehovah," a new spiritual Mountain of God, established for the purpose of pure worship...an earthly "Mount Zion" that enjoys God's Eternal Protection and Guidance. -- See Isaiah 4:2-6.

Therefore, Jesus, at Matthew 24:15 and Mark 13:14, is simply reiterating what Daniel, the prophet, had alread warned about, a time of severe discipline, severe persecution, because of "Israel's" own "transgression" -- violation of God's Holy Covenant. Jesus points his disciples away from the practice of idolatry, the spiritual city of Jerusalem, the center point of idolatry.

Actually, at Hebrews 13:13, 14 Paul gives the same advice...to FLEE idolatry, Jerusalem. John's famous advise, where he writes at Revelation 18:4, for God's People [Israel] to "get out of Babylon," the center of IDOLATRY.

So, it is clear, yes, true Christians today, then, must flee from the "Great City," Babylon the Great, Jerusalem, God's Name City. -- Jeremiah 25:29; Revelation 11:8

Zechariah 2:6,7

too, carries the same message:

"Hey there! Hey there! FLEE, then, you people, from the land of the north, is the utterance of Jehovah. For in the direction of the four winds of the heavens I have spread you people abroad, is the utterance of Jehovah. Hey there, Zion! MAKE YOUR ESCAPE, you who are dwelling with the daughter of BABYLON."

MDS

"The Sovereign Lord Jehovah himself has given me the tongue of the taught ones, that I may know how to answer the tired one with a word. He awakens morning by morning; he awakens my ear to hear like the taught ones. The Sovereign Lord Jehovah himself has opened my ear, and I, for my part, was not rebellious. I did not turn in the opposite direction. My back I gave to the strikers, and my cheeks to those plucking off the hair, My face I did not conceal from humiliating things and spit." -- Isaiah 50:4-6; Psalms 40:8

Edited by - MDS on 4 March 2001 15:15:3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit