Does the wtbts have a 'bible study' on this?

by Bang 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bang
    Bang

I posted this on the main section but it seems that it's not a well known issue.
    It's the question regarding the way jws go door to door.
    [Luke 10:7.23] And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide,for the laborer deserves his wages; do not go from house to house.

If the apostles didn't do it and Jesus said not to, why do the jws do it en masse?

Is there an official wt response to this question ?

Bang

• Simon
    Simon

To sell watchtowers? ... because paying for ads costs money but schmucks are cheap?

I'm very cynical aren't I !

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

don't have time to look for it right now, but Watchtower claims that this has to do with STAYING in one house after another; the traveling disciples were supposed to be invited in and STAY there for the duration of their visit to the city and not move from house to house.

I think it is a questions from readers. will look when I can.

O course, they are totally full of crap as usual.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

The

House-to-House Activity

The first, and perhaps most distinctive, way in which we can show our love and appreciation is by going from house to house with the good news of Gods Kingdom. Doing so requires real freeness of speech because it continually involves direct confrontation with others, many of whom will view us as a bother. It takes genuine love for God and for neighbor to keep going from door to door, though we may meet up with indifference, annoyance, contempt, or direct opposition.Compare Ezekiel 3:7-9.

The Gospel record of Jesus instructions to his 12 apostles, and later to the 70 evangelists, clearly indicates that they were to go from house to house preaching the good news of Gods Kingdom. (Matthew 10:5-14; Luke 10:1-7) At Acts 20:20 Paul tells of his going from house to house. Those words have been applied to his making shepherding calls, but Ac 20 verse 21 leaves no doubt as to the activity meant, for Paul adds: "I thoroughly bore witness both to Jews and to Greeks"not to Christian brothers and sisters"about repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus." When making shepherding calls, an elder usually does not urge repentance toward God and faith in Jesus. Rather, he encourages fellow Christians to have increased appreciation of meetings or the ministry, or he helps them with personal problems.

Not only is there sound Scriptural basis for our going from house to house but the fruits of that activity show that Jehovahs blessing is upon it. Yes, "wisdom is proved righteous by its works." (Matthew 11:19) Frequently, those going from house to house have seen evidence of angelic direction that leads them to those who are hungering and thirsting for righteousness. The householder has said that he or she had been praying for help and that the Witness visit answered that prayer.

Blah blah blah blah.....we're supposed to go door to door because we say that Paul said that Jesus said so.

I totally believe the going from house to house was apparently Paul being the equivalent of a traveling circuit overseer. It very much looks as if he stayed in their homes to teach and preach to Christians, for his letter - the 'you'--was to Christians.

Somehwere on this board is a very good post by someone who said they worked for the IRS. There is some kind of tax exempt status one can get if they are a teaching organization. that is why we have the Kingdom Misery Schools and the door-to-door preaching work...becasue Watchtower learned a long time ago not to put all its eggs in one basket.

1) tax exempt as a religion

2) tax exempt/miliary exempt as ministers

3) tax exempt as a teaching/educational organization.

for all the good it is going to do them, they are being sued and picketed by their own members...BWAHAHAHAHHA you just gotta luve it!!!

Good topic

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

oh my +*&^ what happened to my 'cut and paste' awwwwww

anyway, if someobdy else wants to try, it WAS:

WT 2/15/87

That was the last straw; goodnight everyone. (((((((((((( board ))))))))))))))

• Bang
    Bang

3The Gospel record of Jesus instructions to his 12 apostles, and later to the 70 evangelists, clearly indicates that they were to go from house to house preaching the good news of Gods Kingdom.

This is clearly contrived. The "Jews & Greeks" are an example of non-racist attitude.

The problem with going door to door ("do not go from house to house") is that instead of "seeking out those who are worthy", holy things are bandied about - and to dogs who attack people with it.

There is NO scriptual basis for going house to house. The command is "Do Not".

I'm sure most people posting here can well bear witness to the arrogant blindness of those that are frequently gathered by this going from house to house - who have attacked them with what they received.

Bang

• Faraon
    Faraon

Dungbeetle,

I have reposted yours into normal writing. I had to repost one of my posts because the fonts came in red and black. I hope this time your post comes in English characters.

TheHouse-to-HouseActivity

2 The first, and perhaps most distinctive, way in which we can show our love and appreciation is by going from house to house with the good news of Gods Kingdom. Doing so requires real freeness of speech because it continually involves direct confrontation with others, many of whom will view us as a bother. It takes genuine love for God and for neighbor to keep going from door to door, though we may meet up with indifference, annoyance, contempt, or direct opposition.Compare Ezekiel 3:7-9.

3 The Gospel record of Jesus instructions to his 12 apostles, and later to the 70 evangelists, clearly indicates that they were to go from house to house preaching the good news of Gods Kingdom . (Matthew 10:5-14; Luke 10:1-7) At Acts 20:20 Paul tells of his going from house to house. Those words have been applied to his making shepherding calls, but Ac 20 verse 21 leaves no doubt as to the activity meant, for Paul adds: "I thoroughly bore witness both to Jews and to Greeks"not to Christian brothers and sisters"about repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus." When making shepherding calls, an elder usually does not urge repentance toward God and faith in Jesus. Rather, he encourages fellow Christians to have increased appreciation of meetings or the ministry, or he helps them with personal problems.

4 Not only is there sound Scriptural basis for our going from house to house but the fruits of that activity show that Jehovahs blessing is upon it. Yes, "wisdom is proved righteous by its works." (Matthew 11:19) Frequently, those going from house to house have seen evidence of angelic direction that leads them to those who are hungering and thirsting for righteousness. The householder has said that he or she had been praying for help and that the Witness visit answered that prayer.

Blah blah blah blah.....we're supposed to go door to door because we say that Paul said that Jesus said so.

I totally believe the going from house to house was apparently Paul being the equivalent of a traveling circuit overseer. It very much looks as if he stayed in their homes to teach and preach to Christians, for his letter - the 'you'--was to Christians.

Somehwere on this board is a very good post by someone who said they worked for the IRS. There is some kind of tax exempt status one can get if they are a teaching organization. that is why we have the Kingdom Misery Schools and the door-to-door preaching work...becasue Watchtower learned a long time ago not to put all its eggs in one basket.

1) tax exempt as a religion

2) tax exempt/miliary exempt as ministers

3) tax exempt as a teaching/educational organization.

for all the good it is going to do them, they are being sued and picketed by their own members...BWAHAHAHAHHA you just gotta luve it!!!

Good topic

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

Both myself and my husband are sales managers and we had a conversation about JW's going from door to door. In Australia (religion aside) door to door selling is the least effective tactic you can take. Reason being (which I dont really need to state do I?), the salespeople are invading on the individuals personal space, which i'm sure you will all agree, is extremely rude and pushy. When it's JW's - hell, you can imagine how much worse this becomes.

I have never actually been told why it has to be from door to door, but it makes you wonder, why do they persist in this approach when it is so damn unsuccessful?

The only other tactic I have seen them use recently is standing outside train stations holding Awakes and Watchtowers up and chatting amongst themselves, while everyone walks by, not paying a blind bit of attention to them. I don't know which one is worse, I mean, they may as well just leave the mags on a nearby park bench and piss off, it would be just as effective.

A few years ago, some in our congregation started "Beach Witnessing" where the witnesses would preach on the beaches, informally approaching people. They were allowed to dress casually (no tie that is - LOL)

Now, this actually worked really well, and they got alot more interesting talks on the beaches, as opposed from door to door. But then, after a couple of weeks, this stopped. No one knew why.

In my opinion door to door selling is the worst possible job anyone can have.

• SYN
    SYN

Damn! Why didn't they have "Beach Witnessing" when I was still Assimilated?

Although, it must be pretty hard to preach behind the breakers, because that's where I'd be if I was at the beach Those Watchtowers get wet pretty easily!

• JW Ben
    JW Ben

Beach witnessing is fun.

I've done it at rmote surfing spots in Austrlia.

Taken of shoes, rolled up trousers, undun top button, went to the surfies camps.

Out on my board behind the waves start a conversation count the time riding to the beach and padling out again. Mags in bag on the beach.

Excellent results.

Urban ledgend has it, that the inventor of the short board is a JW in Queensland

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit