HAPPY JUNETEENTH!!!

by freedomhouse3 6 Replies latest jw friends

• freedomhouse3
    freedomhouse3

I want to wish everyone a HAPPY JUNETEENTH. Some of you are probably are scratching your heads and wondering, "What the hell is Juneteenth?"

African-American slaves in Texas never found out that they were free until June 19, 1865 which is a little over a year and a half after the emancipation proclaimation as signed by then President Lincoln. This is the Reader's Digest version of how Juneteenth came to be. This also marks my one month's anniversary of coming to this board which incidently is Malcolm X's birthday (May 19th ).

Edited by - freedomhouse3 on 19 June 2002 1:56:33

• freedomhouse3
    freedomhouse3

To all those that read this post. Juneteenth is NOT a joke and DOES NOT belong in the "Jokes and Humor" catagory. Juneteenth is a celebration Of

FREEDOM!!!

• LDH
    LDH

Well, personally, I thought you put it here to be sarcastic. What with the Detroit shootings/death of three men when the Juneteenth celebration kicked off.

But, happy Juneteenth to ya. If you live in the LA area, there is a state park, Col. Allensworth State Park near Bakersfield. Col. Allensworth was a black Colonel and there is a huge Juneteenth celebration there every year.

Lisa

• freedomhouse3
    freedomhouse3

Dear Lisa,

First of all it was NOT supposed to end up where it did and secondly I figured out how to change it from one catagory to the appropriate catagory. I was disappointed that it ended up in the "jokes and humor" catagory and kinda blew my top at Simon ( my apologies, Simon). I take my Black history too damned serious to joke about it.

I am sad that three people died needlessly in the midst of all the shootings in Detroit at the start of the Juneteenth Festival. It is Very disheartening that our race (human) is still in BONDAGE to VIOLENCE. I, however; refuse to believe that we cannot free ourselves from this bondage. Right now there is a nationwide movement known as Victory Over Violence that is spearheaded by young people to help us to learn how to free ourselves from the BONDAGE of VIOLENCE. Please feel free to check out the website at http://www.victoryoverviolence.com Eventhough this is sponsered by SGI-USA (a Buddhist organization) we are hopeful that MANY people will join the Victory Over Violence movement.

I live in Bremerton, Washington which is across the water from Seattle. GO MARINERS!!!

Edited by - freedomhouse3 on 19 June 2002 3:24:34

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Actually, the folks in Galveston didn't hear about the Emancipation Proclamation until 2 1/2 years after it was signed by Lincoln:

http://www.juneteenth.com/history.htm

Edited by - Michael3000 on 19 June 2002 18:23:46

• LDH1
    LDH1

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=583

Colonel Allensworth State Park....

Allensworth is the only California town to be founded, financed and governed by African Americans. The small farming community was founded in 1908 by Colonel Allen Allensworth and a group of others dedicated to improving the economic and social status of African Americans. Uncontrollable circumstances, including a drop in the areas water table, resulted in the towns demise. With continuing restoration and special events, the town is coming back to life as a state historic park. The parks visitor center features a film about the site. A yearly rededication ceremony reaffirms the vision of the pioneers.

2 1/2 years later??? MUST SUCK!!!!

Lisa

Watch CNN Class

Edited by - LDH1 on 19 June 2002 18:41:11

• Valis
    Valis

Happy Juneteenth!! I went to a Juneteenth party last year by Lake Mexia in East Texas with some of my friends/former students from the college. Talk about doing it up!!! People come from all over and they usually have family reunions then and all around the lake that end up mingling and mixing together then its ON ON ON!!!..it was so fun I don't remember much except eating yummy food and playing football all these homies that were high school athletes...My friends thought it was cute I tried to keep up with 16 year old track stars..*L* I think I needed a respirator. I quietly resigned to the shade and pigged out.....My god I love soul food!!!! Collard greens, BarBQ , macaroni & cheese...cornbread, fresh onions, red soda, watermelon, black eyed peas, lima beans, fried fish, chicken and dumplings....Dam!!! Now I'm hungry. Wish I could have went this year, but I'm stuck at home.

Sincerely,

District

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit