Car Audio Thread (and "Bad Night, Part 3&...

by Bendrr 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

In the first Bad Night post, I told y'all about my car being robbed of some expensive speakers and amplifier.

Bad Night Part 2, I bought some new gear and ranted a little about security measures.

This is Part 3. Yeah, I know I'm making a big deal out of something that is actually a common everyday occurrence. Let's put a positive spin on it this time and have a little fun.

Before I go into the actual Part 3, I thought I'd start a thread on something I enjoy.

How many here have stereo equipment in your cars that you installed yourself (or had installed) so you could have better sound quality? I'd like to hear from the rest of you what you have or have had in the past. Did you add any personal touches such as building your own speaker boxes or unique installations? Let's get a car audio thread going!

(also, I'd be interested in hearing of any security measures you used or if you prevented a theft of your gear)

Now, Part 3.

Current security measures: windows rolled up and doors locked, in-dash radio/cd-player concealed at night (actually looks like a hole in the console), speaker box covered with a dark cloth and a pile of laundry - tomorrow it will be secured to car's body with a strong chain and padlock but will still be covered over in the same manner at night.

Forget the razor wire and any other idea I've proposed. (for now at least, I may still add some rude countermeasures to the car anyway) Remember, they can't steal what isn't there in the first place. I'm having a new speaker box made. I just don't like those cheap carpeted particle-board boxes all the stores sell, especially the "carpeting". I want something custom. 3/4" MDF sealed enclosure with the optimum internal volume specified by Infinity for the speakers (1.25 cubic feet/speaker) When my dad gets done building the box and making the cutouts for speakers and terminals, I'm going to get busy making it look totally unique. I saw some pictures on this guy's website about his own enclosures and thought the idea was awesome. Sand the edges and corners round, fill in all the joints with wood-filler, and sand the whole box smooth. Then apply several coats of automotive filler-primer, several coats of paint, and several coats of clear-coat. The look I'm wanting is to make the finish look like polished aluminum. Once that's done, I'm putting the ultimate anti-theft measures in place.

Remember, they can't steal what isn't there in the first place.

I'll have to design and build an easily disconnected wiring harness to include speaker wires, power and ground leads, and RCA cables. Then I'll install a pair of sturdy handles on the box. Once finished, I'll be able to take the speaker box (with amplifier mounted on it) out of the car simply by disconnecting one simple wiring harness and take it inside for the night. I know what you're thinking. That's a lot of work every day, putting it in every morning before I go to work and removing it to take into the house before I go to bed in the evening. And you're right. But it also won't get stolen, because it won't be there to steal.

Anyways jump in with your own car audio posts, I'd love to read them.

(did you remember to lock your car up?)

Mike.

• Jourles
    Jourles

First off, lets start with the make and model of the car and also the year. Instead of physically removing everything each night, why not stealth the entire installation including the head unit up front and subs in the rear? Believe me, you can not only stealth ANY installation, but also make it 99% theft proof. A smash and grab thief would rather steal your entire car and take it somewhere else to pillage rather than overcoming certain installation safeguards that you can put into place. This includes some sort of alarm system to overcome. That can be an entirely new thread altogether. Give me some of your ideas and I will give you the viewpoint of a thief and what steps he would take to get your equipment. (and no, i never worked in that department ) Your primary concern should be the alarm system first and then your audio install. Once your vehicle is fairly protected, then proceed!

That idea that you saw on a website has been around for quite a while, the one about giving the sub box an acrylic look. JL Audio has even put it into their premade box lineup, pretty slick. I think they use fiberglass though. Hell of a lot lighter. Something else you may want to give a shot at is looking into formica as an overlay to the visible part of the box. You can get formica in just about any color, design, or shade of aluminum that you may be looking for. So much less time, money, and headache than paint and it looks better too.

Rock on

Jourles personal opinion ---- If this system is used primarily to wake the dead, evict termites from homes, overcome standard Lexus soundproofing, or cruisin' tha hood at 2 am, then I cannot add anything more to this thread. No amount of stealthing in the world will discourage a thief if he knows your car and hears it coming a half a mile away, let alone pulling up to your crib with it booming at the magical 60 cycles which feels soooo good and that thief living next door or across the street. What's the point then?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit