Story on freeminds.org

by joenobody 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• joenobody
    joenobody

Anybody here have a chance to read Jay Walker's story on freeminds.org? I just got through reading pages and pages of it. I was keenly interested early on in the story and the astoundign things that happened in it. As I got to the end I started to believe that alot of it was embellished.

Can anyone verify some of the story at least? It made for a great read, but I was rather skeptical by the end of it.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I didn't believe the bit where he got abducted by aliens for the second time.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Why don't you ask him yourself? He is a regular contributor to this board.

What I find amazing (no pun intended) is that no matter what happens to someone in their life how minimal or horrible. Never can anyone take anything at face value.

I realize after being with the JW's for so very long we are wary to accept one's word. We need to start IMO trusting some of what is said instead of constantly bringing down whoever posted their story or bits and pieces of it to share to help out those who are still in or newly out.

Please try and accept those who you may not know. And those who you may have no idea that you do know.

• ShaunaC
    ShaunaC

I read through Amazing's story just a couple of weeks ago and after doing so felt guilty that I had not done so earlier. It was truly amazing!!!

I also intend to follow his admonition to write to Ray Franz to thank him for all he's come forward with.

Thanks Amazing!

Shauna

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Joenobody: I wrote the story you refer. I found my story hard to believe, and I lived through it. Embellished, you ask? Let me know what part or parts bother you and I will try my best to clarify to your satisfaction. Flare and style, maybe? Yes, that's the way I write ... but the events are as they took place ... actually many more events than I reported. I am looking forward to your reply.

Edited by - Amazing on 18 June 2002 21:42:19

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Actually I have listened and read many a story. Of course the horrific stories of abuse are just .... well I don't know how Bill does it.

I have now lived lots of stories including the bibleexaminer's story (that has quite a happy ending).

People are lucky "Amasing" and others have given their stories for your use.

It helps when trying to get family members out.

hawk

• joenobody
    joenobody

Hi Amazing,

I thoroughly enjoyed the story and was completely caught up in it. I don't have any specific complaints about the story - my post was more like a "pinch me somebody and tell me this really happened!".

I appreciated your candour and the fact that you felt in retrospect that you got a little arrogant at points - you made no attempt to hide what you considered to be your mistakes. I have known brothers like some you described in your story - the good and the bad. The Memorial experience was the best part of the story. I like how you were both at once respectful, but also insightful about the heavenly hope.

A topic that I would like to know more about is the prevalence of "silent reformers". Having been out 6 years I don't have a handle on just how many R&F are tired and weary, how many elders are quietly hoping for reform and how many people are actually leaving. Any insights would be appreciated.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Joenobody: Thanks for the feedback. Your point about 'pinch me' is very good and how I felt living through the events. It was hard to believe and observe people act they way they did. I have read and heard of far more exotic stories ... causing me to reach the conclusion that what people go through exiting the organization is more often a series of trials than anything clean or routine.

You asked about any reform movement going on inside the organization. I would love to expand on this, but will not because the Watchtower Society monitors this board. I can say that any such reform is far larger and more widespread than the Watchtower leaders would like to believe.

In my own case, I decided that once I got my family out, including my son-in-law, then I would be most satisfied ... and never really considered staying on for any reform purposes. However, after I left, I discovered some still on the inside who were willing to keep me informed ... and the picture of the internal reform efforts started to take on some meaning and perspective that I did not understand up until that time.

As far as those who have left, the number is believed to be about 2,000,000. This is based on a study of baptisms, DF/DA, actual death rates, and the number of active JW Publishers. This is a huge number and speaks poorly of the JW religion that only 6,000,000 are active and 2,000,000 are out - which is 25% of the total baptized JWs. I don't know of any other religion of its size that have lost 25% of their members.

The momentum of people leaving the JWs is increasing in most western nations ... the Internet is a big source of information that has hurt growth rates for the religion. Also, the fact that the Society has not seen the end of this system, coupled with their redefining the "Last Generation" has pretty much shaken the faith of many JWs. If they do not soon take the time to correct matters and improve their religion, they will experience a major decline that could doom them, or at least relegate them to being a little tiny sideline group of just a few hundred thousand.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Amazing,

I just entered this thread, and saw where I could locate your story. It was easy to find. I have just finished printing it out and will read it all and then respond to you.

If I wrote my own story, people would no doubt have the same responses. The general rule is that stories similar to yours are everywhere. And, they have to be told. This was a closure for you, I'm sure. I will look forward to visiting your postings.

Take Care.

Love and Light

Karen/Sentinel

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Amazing,

I did what I said I would do. I found your story on "freeminds", printed it out and just finished reading it over this weekend.

The events you lived through, along with your family, do not at all seem embellished. I'm certain that when things really began to roll, you were keeping good personal journals. Writers usually do this. And, also, you have family members who can remember parts and pieces that you might have temporarily forgotten. This was, after all, YOUR LIFE for some 25 years.

I thought your experience was from the heart. You nearly accomplished the impossible--getting out without being labeled as "disfellowshipped or disassociated". They simply will not let that happen.

The part where you went to the Libray and got The Ray Franz book made me smile, as I too, got this book from my library and was so paranoid that I was being watched. I would not even read it in front of my husband, as I thought he just might "let it slip" to my son, who would then innocently enough pass it along to my mom or some other JW. I kept it hidden and read from it piece by piece the way you did. It was a real eye-opener. That was the first time I read it, while still "in". We had been warned from the platform that he had been disfellowshipped. I wondered then about what he was going through. We were told that he was an Apostate, and one of the worst kind, having been in such a high position in the Society.

Toward the end of 2001, I got the book again. I was able to read it in my home, comfortably, without feelings of guilt. Your thought about sending him a thank you rings true, and I must do that, as he certainly did affect the way I grew to feel about my situation. I have not read his second book yet.

Your experience of actually calling him on the phone and then meeting him and socializing with him and his wife much have been a wonderful thing. Thank you for sharing your journey with the public. There are many, many stories out there, each one individual, and yet, each one connected to the same horrible source, The WBTS.

You gave me an added insight into areas of the "secrecy" of the Society, their private meetings, the great levity of the Elders in congregations. The unjust, unfair, cruel and inhumane treatment of their dear "brothers and sisters", and small innocent children. Their conditional love, so contrary to the teachings of being a true spiritual personal.

They are a cult. We got out. Whatever we can do to help another in this area should be done.

That's why I'm a part of this forum.

Love and LIght,

Karen/Sentinel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit