CNN Talk Back Live

by carlitos71 5 Replies latest jw friends

• carlitos71
    carlitos71

I was watching cnn yesterday when they were talking about the supreme court ruling. There was a "counsel" that was representing the jw's and he was explaining what the ruling meant for the Borg and all citizens of this country. Then he went on saying something that just blows my mind and has always bothered me when I used to be an active dub. He mentioned something to the effect that if it wasn't for the Watchtower we wouldnt have freedom of speech as we know it today. When he mentioned this people from the audience just started laughing and I just rolled my eyes in disbelief. This kind of thinking is insane due to the fact that the Watchtower thinks way too highly of themselves and unfortunately this is very common in the rank and file.

I still remember as a kid my parents and family mentioning haw the Borg was this and that and how they had the best this and that and I bought into it thinking that we were all that. For example I still remember when the borg set up some software or hardware in the 70's or 80's, I cant remember, that was supposed to help them in their printing of books and how nobody had ever come up with such technology. They even printed a couple of stories in their mags. Now that i'm no longer in it I realize that it was self promotion at it's best and how many dubs just buy into this.

Well, just a thought.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

The JW attorney was probably referring to the fact that the dubs have had more Supreme Court cases than any religion. They have won most, if not all. I don't have time to check the web.

They have increased religious freedom and perhaps helped in freedom of speech.

The audience of that show, as most people, do not know about all the cases the dubs have brought to the highest court.

They are the most picked upon group from a legal, freedom of speech, etc. viewpoint. Someone is always trying to stop them from doing their thing.

I don't agree with them and would be hard put to come up with how their court cases have helped me in particular, however, there seems to be agreement in the legal community that thier fights have been freedom of religion and freedom of speech.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Let us not forget that they don't really believe in either of the two freedoms and if they had it their way they would deny those freedoms to every one everywhere. This is not an overstatement.

• Inquiry
    Inquiry
    File Information
    Register Your DAP

tE

The program they were so proud of making was the MEPPS program... it was the first program to publish in several languages... it was a bit of a coup as they beat IBM in making it... I was working at IBM at the time and I had just started to study with dubs... I remember my co -workers asking about MEPPS...

When I took the tour in Wakill NY.... they really hyped MEPPS...

Good program... (compliment to the program... not what they do with it...) I wonder how much money the WT actually made selling it...quite a bit I'm sure..

Inq

• garybuss
    garybuss
    . He mentioned something to the effect that if it wasn't for the Watchtower we wouldnt have freedom of speech as we know it today.

Actually I believe he is right.

I'd have to add, if it wasn't for the Watchtower we wouldnt have as much premature death, divorce, pain and broken families either.

gb

• Grout
    Grout

I think that was "MEPS" -- it was big when I wanted to be a Bethelite [spit]. The MEPS hardware was finicky and soon died out, but the MEPS software was in use in the Peruvian branch when I visited there.

The WT Society is evil overall, but it includes quite a few clever people, some of whom are respectable programmers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit