MikeMusto- BILL BLASS HAS DIED!!!

by Mister 8iggs 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• Mister 8iggs
    Mister 8iggs

Can you please provide us with your commentary on this story and do you have any kind words to the Blass family?

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/News/06/13/obit.blass.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Bill Blass, who dressed the likes of Nancy Reagan and Barbara Walters while shattering the Paris-centric fashion world with youthful creations that mixed-and-matched chic with casual, has died.

Blass died Wednesday at his home in Washington, Conn., according to Joe Lillis of Lillis Funeral Home in New Milford, Conn. A friend of the designer, Helen O'Hagan, said Blass died of cancer. He was 79.

"It's a great loss. He was an extraordinary man and a great designer," said Fern Mallis, the director of 7th on Sixth, a fashion organization which produces New York's Fashion Week.

Blass' sense of line, color and style took him from a sketcher's desk to the helm of his own $700-million-a-year company in a career that spanned six decades and came to define American style.

EXTRA INFORMATION
    Gallery: Bill Blass' final collection

He designed clothes for a host of famous women, including first ladies and actresses who paid from $800 for a sweater to thousands of dollars for an evening gown.

Blass said he designed for the woman "not obsessed with fashion," who cares about clothes, but has a career, a family, a home and other interests.

"I love his clothes, because they are comfortable, wearable and pretty," Reagan, the former first lady, once said.

During his career, Blass expanded to design men's wear, swimwear, children's clothing, shoes, jewelry and furs. His designs were known for crisp elegance and simplicity, made from beautiful fabrics with sophisticated style.

"Each individual piece is a calculated attempt to entice women to add to their wardrobe," the designer told The Associated Press in 1997. "The women I know who have a great deal of money and go out all the time often wear clothes that are 2-3 years old. They buy new things to add to what they have."

He received numerous awards, including the Coty American Fashion Critics Award in 1961, 1963 and 1970, as well as the Council of Fashion Designers of America Award in 1986.

Blass, who never married, won women over with his designs and his charm. He had been listed as one of the best-dressed men in the country. New York fashion guru Nan Kempner once said, "I fell in love with him, like every woman. He was as warm, friendly, intelligent and talented as he was good-looking."

William Blass was born June 22, 1922, in Fort Wayne, Indiana, the only child of Ralph Blass, the owner of a hardware store, and Ethyl Blass, a dressmaker. Blass played football, worked on the school paper and studied art at South Side High School in Fort Wayne, where he graduated in 1939.

Blass started sketching designs when he was 17, and sold some to New York designers for $25 each.

"Something about glamour interested me," he told People magazine in 1999. "All my schoolbooks had drawings of women on terraces with a cocktail and a cigarette."

He moved to New York to study fashion at the Parsons School of Design, and worked as a sketch artist for a sportswear company before enlisting in the Army during World War II. After serving for 3 1/2 years, Blass was hired as a designer for the Manhattan firm of Anna Miller and Co.

Blass joined Maurice Rentner Ltd. in 1959 and two years later was made vice president of the company, which was renamed Bill Blass Ltd. in 1970. Blass sold the company in 1999 to two fashion executives for $50 million.

"I thought the end of the year, beginning of the new century, was the perfect time," he said at the time. "After all, I'd been doing it for 60 years."

For the past 20 years, Blass lived in the small western Connecticut community of New Preston atop a hill on property he helped protect through preservation efforts, said a local official, Selectman Nicholas Solley.

"He was private, but active in the community," Solley said.

Blass would sketch a new collection nearly four months before showing it to buyers and the press. He often sketched at home, saying there wasn't enough time to create during office hours.

Stan Herman, president of the Council of Fashion Designers of America, said Blass' last fashion show in September 1999 in New York, which was almost canceled because of a terrible storm, exemplified the designer's spirit.

"I remember his face vividly when he made the decision to go on," Herman said. "It was the great Blass 'Wow, this is life, I'll do the best I can."'

At the show, the audience stood as Blass emerged when the last model left the runway.

"There are not many standing ovations in fashion," Patrick McCarthy, chairman of Women's Wear Daily, told People magazine. "Bill just gave a little wave, barely perceptible, but it was a wave goodbye."

• Mister 8iggs
    Mister 8iggs

Mike?

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Oh my!!!

Where will I get my designer aquarium gravel from now?

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

It is indeed a sad day for the aged fashionistas.

I however can not say I will miss his designs.

He had his time. But, like Watchtower truth, fashion

constantly changes.

I am of the the Belgium, Tokyo, SoHo scene.

Not of the CT-Hampton's scene like Mr. Blass.

I think of the future--not of the present

farewell mr blass

wherever you are

• dubla
    dubla

nytel-

i just wanted to jump in here and say that i gotta hand it to ya. every since you invented this new persona (no matter how corny it may be), youve not only stayed out of trouble (and im sure its been difficult biting your tongue at times), but youve also apparently provided yourself with a whole new form of self-entertainment. sort of like an actor, youve truly engulfed yourself (at least as far as we can see) in your new role, and youve even garnered somewhat of a cult following, or at least invented a new public image, that has been mildly accepted. good job man, and i dont mean that sarcastically.....youve managed to stay on the board that you enjoy, and maintain a pleasant demeanor (though you came close to falling back into insult mode when i publicly stated my past fat % levels). isnt it so much nicer than being constantly involved in flame wars? or do you miss them? either way, keep up the good work.

aa

Edited by - dubla on 13 June 2002 16:57:58

Edited by - dubla on 13 June 2002 16:58:55

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

yes dubla..NYT ..grew tired of flame wars...they often left little room for a middle ground...

Xenu was quite interesting...as flame wars were started when Xenu said nothing....

My true i.d. of MikeMust had to be revealed..Like coming out of the closet..it was liberating...

Knowing I can now prance around this board with an orchid in one hand and a Cosmopolitan in another.

Edited by - mikemusto on 13 June 2002 17:4:59

• LDH
    LDH

LOL!

Mike, all I gots to say is you been DY-NO- MITE!!!!

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit